Any AxeFx 8 string players out there?

Billbill

Power User
Sometimes these chug chug patches sound flubby. I think my real issue is that the probable fix, I'm not too familiar with I.e the PEQ, Filters. That would be cool if FAS had an extended range 7/8 string section on here because I believe problems associated are an issue all their own.

Tube screamer + 5150 + bright IR is my usual go-to for 7 and 8 strings.

A trick I like to use that helps with those lower tunings is to go into the advanced settings on the tube screamer and increase the high end cutoff from 800hz to 1500hz. It helps bring out the "voice" and throatiness of the note on those low strings a little more.

Sometimes even that's not enough- but there's always the EQ page on the amp block, and the CUT knob underneath the bass knob. Do what you've got to do to get that low end under control, don't be afraid to get extreme if you have to!

Flubby low end = too much low end going into the amp.

Use Cut first. That will often fix the problem all by itself. If it's still flubby, find more ways to trim the lows going into the amp (Filter block, Drive block..).

All of the above recommendations are how I deal with low end on my 7’s. Depending on the amp model and cab IR will dictate how aggressive those low cuts need to be.

The Recto amp seems to need the most attention when it comes to low end. More than just high passing the front end, I have to dial the bass pot down to 7-8 o’clock. Another thing you can do is dial back the low end response on the speaker section of the amp block.

EQ blocks are your friend. Work on cutting the lowest lows and carving some space in the low mids.

I primarily play 7 strings (in A) but I do also occasionally play an 8. I use the same patches for both.

Over the last year or so, I've had to turn up poweramp hardness in the advanced menu to get the tightness I like, otherwise things get too flubby. The poweramp hardness thing is like a cheat code for tight tone in my opinion. You can make the Recto models razor-tight in this manner.

Keep an eye on the master volume as well, too high settings distort the poweramp too much and get flubby and indistinct. For the rectos as an example, I usually have the master between 1 and 1.5. But I like a clean poweramp so your milage may vary. Many high gain models I like around 2 to 3 at the absolute maximum, but some can tolerate much higher settings.

I also am not a huge fan of the in-built boosts, I prefer using external ones. Also it's more fun for me to be twisting real knobs. I do like using the FET Preamp model though, with drive at 0, level at 10, and then using the 3-band eq in the pedal to adjust how tight I want the tone. Usually I just put the bass all the way down, and go from there. Add the 'cut' setting in the amp block if I want it even tighter, or stack with a PEQ using just a high pass filter.

A bump using the PEQ at 1400 hz to 2000 hz (in front of the amp) can also add some clarity and attack. Sweep it around to find the frequency you like.

You can also do this in the drive model, set the mid freq at like 1600 hz or something, and turn up mids.

I primarily play 7 strings (in A) but I do also occasionally play an 8. I use the same patches for both.

Over the last year or so, I've had to turn up poweramp hardness in the advanced menu to get the tightness I like, otherwise things get too flubby. The poweramp hardness thing is like a cheat code for tight tone in my opinion. You can make the Recto models razor-tight in this manner.

Keep an eye on the master volume as well, too high settings distort the poweramp too much and get flubby and indistinct. For the rectos as an example, I usually have the master between 1 and 1.5. But I like a clean poweramp so your milage may vary. Many high gain models I like around 2 to 3 at the absolute maximum, but some can tolerate much higher settings.

I also am not a huge fan of the in-built boosts, I prefer using external ones. Also it's more fun for me to be twisting real knobs. I do like using the FET Preamp model though, with drive at 0, level at 10, and then using the 3-band eq in the pedal to adjust how tight I want the tone. Usually I just put the bass all the way down, and go from there. Add the 'cut' setting in the amp block if I want it even tighter, or stack with a PEQ using just a high pass filter.

A bump using the PEQ at 1400 hz to 2000 hz (in front of the amp) can also add some clarity and attack. Sweep it around to find the frequency you like.

You can also do this in the drive model, set the mid freq at like 1600 hz or something, and turn up mids.
Going to try some of these "fixes". Thanks for the input

Back
Top Bottom