Another questions about the compressor block - buzz?

DrNick

Inspired
As I've been playing with clean patches (beginning) with the compressor block (set to studio), I've noticed that when a very low note is plucked and let ring, a strange "buzz" is introduced at some point as the note fades. I've narrowed this down to the compressor block in that this oddness goes away when it's bypassed.

I could post a clip if needed, but I'm guessing someone has run across this phenomenon before and maybe even knows how to mitigate it.

Thanks as always.

-DrNick

EDIT: Ok, I should have spent some more time playing with this one before asking. It seems that either reducing the ratio or, better, changing the knee to soft (I had it on "hard") basically does away with he buzz. My understanding is that the latter is somehow the more minor change to the overall effect of the compressor and is the preferable move. If anyone disagrees with this impression, I'd welcome your wisdom!

Last edited:
Compressors cause distortion. The amount and audibility of this distortion is dependent upon the parameter settings. There are some papers on AES about it.

Back
Top Bottom