Another Gapless Switching Thread... Solved! (Post #136)

My example was intended to show the answer is "yes"...if you're ok with the sequencing constraint. You only need two scene controllers. Here's a clip switching through 8 amp types (Plexi, Bludojai Clean, JM45, Wrecker Express, Bogfish Brown, SLO100 Clean, Energyball, ODS100 Clean). No gaps.

But when you change reverbs too for each amps ? Most of the time, if I remember well, the reverb add “problems”

I use to have different reverbs type and length for clean rythm and lead and…

But when you change reverbs too for each amps ? Most of the time, if I remember well, the reverb add “problems”

I haven't tested that yet, but if reverb was a similar problem, I imagine you would just create a Reverb 2 block in the same path with the second amp and cab blocks prior to the mixer block and ping pong between the reverbs and the amp blocks. This will obviously start to chew up a lot of processing power though...

I haven't tested that yet, but if reverb was a similar problem, I imagine you would just create a Reverb 2 block in the same path with the second amp and cab blocks prior to the mixer block and ping pong between the reverbs and the amp blocks. This will obviously start to chew up a lot of processing power though...
Yes with the mixer it’s probably better . But if you want to switch between 3 amps and 3 different reverbs … I want it simple . It’s true that I like to stick with just a global line better to have a preset with 4 lines. It seems strange to me that It don’t work with one line but it work with a complex preset , that’s a non sense somewhere. Scenes and channels are done for that normally .

Yes with the mixer it’s probably better . But if you want to switch between 3 amps and 3 different reverbs … I want it simple . It’s true that I like to stick with just a global line better to have a preset with 4 lines. It seems strange to me that It don’t work with one line but it work with a complex preset , that’s a non sense somewhere. Scenes and channels are done for that normally .
We're in total agreement. It's more difficult than it could be in an ideal scenario.

Last edited:

Changing ambient effects is a separate issue, but one that is usually easier to solve than the amp channel switching gap problem, by use of judicious spillover, damping and fading.

Updated the title to reflect thread post #136. Better than nothing. No idea how to request moderator assistance.
Most likely this thread would not be stickied. Better would be a specific thread / tutorial from @GlennO, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread stickied that wasn't from a Fractal employee.

Anyway, updating the title is good :)

Yeah the helix is gapless but got 10x less content and the tone is not as detailed . The helix is a good product, but the axe sounds better in amp sim (I owned 2 helix floor, std and LT and got native). For the effects … that’s 50/50. In the helix the od list is great, but yeah… don’t know if we really can compare both product. Both can be used live without any problems, I’ve done it with both. But if I have to choose one, I stay with the axe.
That's going off topic though.. the discussion isn't about the tones themselves, just the switching. Coming from a device that is gapless but wanting to go Fractal, obviously this is an interesting subject how the Fractal guys are dealing with it

Not true. I've been in the audience and heard the issue with a guitarists JVM before.
OK, so they might hear it. But not so it's like a problem for them. Maybe it's a problem for you; but you're a guitarist. Me, I don't mind. As I said, gaps such as when high gain comes in, can add to the live gig excitement.

But some bands strive for live perfection like it's a recording, so they might not agree with me.

Last edited:
You have 2 solutions

Or you accept the limitation of the product and you simplified your way or thinking, while having an amp for clean, and another amp for dist (with whatever effects for them both)

Or you change amp at every riff and you will have a gap.

In the beginning I was like you, annoyed by that gap as the others modelers don’t have it. But they don’t sound as good as the axe.

I still have a mini gap when I switch to my lead scene, even with same amp block on both, even without changing channel between 2 scenes , just adding an eq and a delay and changing the reverb type

This and the gate are the only 2 defaults of the unit. One is a hardware limitation, and the other is a code

But I prefer to have a better sound with a mini gap. Maybe the axe 4 will solve that.

Solved easily by moving the Reverb block to a parallel row.

My example was intended to show the answer is "yes"...if you're ok with the sequencing constraint. You only need two scene controllers. Here's a clip switching through 8 amp types (Plexi, Bludojai Clean, JM45, Wrecker Express, Bogfish Brown, SLO100 Clean, Energyball, ODS100 Clean). No gaps.

Edit: Corrected the preset attached to this post.

Glenn, Thanks for the example. Pretty neat idea! So with the mixer block alternating the amps you have to switch scenes in consecutive order correct?
I added a mixer to my main preset and set it up as you did. I'm only using 4 scenes and two channels so in this case it works no matter the order I select the scenes.
Nice option to have!!!

That's right. You use the scenes in sequence and there are no gaps when switching scenes/channels. For people for whom the channel switching gap issue is a problem, it seems like that's the way they want to use it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom