Announcing the Axe-Fx II XL Plus

Gotta hold on to our IIs and XLs now... these LCDs will become sought after in a period of time :p

Do you guys really worry about your LCD screens? There have never been any reported issues with the LCD other than the ribbon cable not being properly seated (which you can repair on your own in a couple of minutes). And this hilarious thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/78650-my-axe-manufacture-worms.html

To be honest, I would be more worried if the EPROM gets EoL ... ;)

I don't worry about it per say, but lets say that the screen takes a direct hit for whatever reason and gets a crack in it. I'd of thought it would be a part they could replace, for a modest price, and my unit would be good to go again, but if there are no more parts....

Does Fractal still have a stockpile of parts for service needs ? This is usually common practice in most industry, but I guess people just would like to hear a confirmation is all

I don't worry about it per say, but lets say that the screen takes a direct hit for whatever reason and gets a crack in it. I'd of thought it would be a part they could replace, for a modest price, and my unit would be good to go again, but if there are no more parts....

Does Fractal still have a stockpile of parts for service needs ? This is usually common practice in most industry, but I guess people just would like to hear a confirmation is all

It's not the screen that is EOL, it's the controller chip (for the LCD display). That would be VERY hard to strike a direct hit on, and if you did then you would probably need a few other spares as well. :)

I am thinking that if your LCD (or controller chip-Good point Chucma :)) , died or whatever on your (or my) XL 1 of 2 things would happen.

1. If still under warranty FAS would take care of it one way or another-if it was abuse or damage by user you probably would have to pay, but they would fix it.
2. They would fix it-how I cannot know, but I know they would and out of warranty non abuse or abuse you would pay.

That's how I see it

This announcement is just in time - I was considering purchasing the Cab Pack 8. But, by not upgrading from my XL to the XL+ and getting the Cab Pack I am actually saving $2,475. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Staring tomorrow we will begin selling the Axe-Fx II XL Plus. ...

... So other than a different LCD the XL+ is basically the same thing as an XL.

Or I can put my marketing hat on and do the old song-and-dance:
Step right up and get your new Axe-Fx II XL+. The XL+ is a major improvement to the Axe-Fx II with the following features:
- All new algorithms based on our new patented modeling technology
- Super duper hardware design with better intermodulation distortion and lower interphase coupling
- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) LCD with superior brightness and contrast
- Custom black-and-white "+" sign after the letters "XL"
- Rich alcantara headliner with diamond-stitch seating surfaces
- Gluten and GMO free

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Hold on there FAS ... is the black-and-white "+" sign really "custom" or will it be the same on all of the Axe-Fx II XL Pluses!?! :(

Just kidding ;)

Edit: seriously ... Murphy's law and all ... in hindsight this must be a bit of a pain for FAS, having to maintain separate FW files, etc.

Last edited:
We always buy about 1-2% extra parts for future repairs so we have a stash of old LCDs on hand.

That's good to know. I have both the original Axe II & an XL & I noticed the XL screen is harder to see. Not as bright or clear as the II. I've tried adjusting there contrast on the XL but can't get it close to how the II looks. Is this typical of the XL's or is my screen defective. It's been like this since the day I got it.

This was driving me nuts, because I could have sworn he said “fine Corinthian leather.”

As it turns out, I was wrong.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/getting-it-right-for-ricardo-montalban/?_r=0

Is the Value knob the same size on the IIs and XLs? Because I'm getting a very, very serious urge to fabricate a slip-on tight leather cap for mine… any interest?

If so, please move the discussion to the For Sale section, where I've started a thread.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/sale/...fine-corinthian-leather-value-knob-cover.html

Last edited:
Now if I want a shiny new thing I'm gonna have to save up for a new shiny new thing instead of the old shiny new thing.
This means my wife will think I am only after the new shiny new thing because it is new and not because it is better than my old old shiny new thing.

Damn you FAS suppliers!

Back
Top Bottom