Announcing MFC-Edit - Official editor for the MFC-101

Does not work on Mac. Downloaded, required an old Java download, then another, and the second java 'update' would not install on my Macbook Pro, because "Your system has Mac OS X Version 10.10. This product can be installed on Version 10.7.3 or later.Visit java.com/help for more information." How Oracle is still in business I will never know. It seems that whomever developed this software needs to update the Java in the application to the latest Mac OS - otherwise it seems that I have a $25 icon on my desktop.

Also need to know if owners of the original version will be able to upgrade, or purchase at a discount.

And, if it works with OS X Yosemite.

Thanks guys. This is a great idea.

Thanks Fractal .. really nice to finally have a supported editor for the MFC ... but I'd also like to give some credit to jjozwia who first broke ground in this area with the Fedit program.

It would also be nice if some of the work currently being done by Al Grenadine on AxeSend and AxeBank Manager find their way into a Fractal Supported product. Lots of good programmers our there with good ideas that can only make an already great product even better.

Does not work on Mac. Downloaded, required an old Java download, then another, and the second java 'update' would not install on my Macbook Pro, because "Your system has Mac OS X Version 10.10. This product can be installed on Version 10.7.3 or later.Visit java.com/help for more information." How Oracle is still in business I will never know. It seems that whomever developed this software needs to update the Java in the application to the latest Mac OS - otherwise it seems that I have a $25 icon on my desktop.

Sorry about the Java thing. Apple and Oracle don't get along very well, but there's a new Mac java version which should work with Yosemite. I've installed it and tested it. Here's the link:

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

This java version will install and run on Yosemite. However, Oracle, in their infinite wisdom still do not set the location of the new runtime so Yosemite still complains that there's no java. I will make a new build with a workaround and get that uploaded within the next hour or two because I want to test it first.

You can also try the following workaround:
  • Install the "legacy" java 1.6
  • Then install the 1.8_25 from the link I included in this post
  • Then remove the file called '.jexec.txt' in your home folder IF it exists
  • Re-run MFC_Edit - it should search for java versions and find 1.8_25 and use that henceforth

I apologize for Oracle's arrogance - it's an aggravation to me also, but Apple is also to blame in this instance. I'll get a workable fix uploaded to the store for Yosemite before the day is out and figure out a long term, more eloquent solution to the Oracle/Apple spat over the next couple of days. Yosemite is new to a lot of people so expect a couple of road bumps in the early release days.
-G

Congrats Gary, nice to see MFC-Edit has made its way into Fractal product portfolio. :encouragement:

Sorry about the Java thing. Apple and Oracle don't get along very well, but there's a new Mac java version which should work with Yosemite. I've installed it and tested it. Here's the link:

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

This java version will install and run on Yosemite. However, Oracle, in their infinite wisdom still do not set the location of the new runtime so Yosemite still complains that there's no java. I will make a new build with a workaround and get that uploaded within the next hour or two because I want to test it first.

You can also try the following workaround:
  • Install the "legacy" java 1.6
  • Then install the 1.8_25 from the link I included in this post
  • Then remove the file called '.jexec.txt' in your home folder IF it exists
  • Re-run MFC_Edit - it should search for java versions and find 1.8_25 and use that henceforth

I apologize for Oracle's arrogance - it's an aggravation to me also, but Apple is also to blame in this instance. I'll get a workable fix uploaded to the store for Yosemite before the day is out and figure out a long term, more eloquent solution to the Oracle/Apple spat over the next couple of days. Yosemite is new to a lot of people so expect a couple of road bumps in the early release days.
-G

Great customer service Gary! Thanks for the quick response.

Truly makes what was a beast of a programming job exceptionally easier to not only execute; but to understand.

Bravo!!!!!

I think it's kinda weird that the editor (even a real time editor) for a sophisticated device like the Axe-Fx II is free of charge and the offline-editor for a many times less complex unit from the same company is not...

I think it's kinda weird that the editor (even a real time editor) for a sophisticated device like the Axe-Fx II is free of charge and the offline-editor for a many times less complex unit from the same company is not...

Ongoing sources of revenue to keep a company and its employees paid and fed and sheltered is weird to you?

Maybe "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]brought to you by Fractal Audio Systems in partnership with Gary Heller" has something to do with it? I assume FAS saw the quality work Gary has produced and decided to incorporate his efforts in their software suite which in turn frees up precious resources for other endeavors. Are you suggesting Gary should provide his services for free or that FAS should just bite the bullet and pay him royalties and take the hit? We have truly become a spoiled lot with all the freebies we have been so fortunate to receive.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I suppose FAS could start charging a few hundred for Axe-Edit and eliminate the "weirdness". :)[/FONT]

Count me as another buyer of the first MFC-Edit version which would want to know what happens for us... Do we need to buy a new licence ? or will we get updates for free ?

Ongoing sources of revenue to keep a company and its employees paid and fed and sheltered is weird to you?

I didn't talk about sources of revenue and I don't begrudge FAS every earned cent. It was about the difference that editor A for hardware A is free and editor B for hardware B is not.

I didn't talk about sources of revenue and I don't begrudge FAS every earned cent. It was about the difference that editor A for hardware A is free and editor B for hardware B is not.

One was developed in house, one was not.

Back
Top Bottom