Angle severe help

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Im building an Engl metal patch and I've got it sounding really good except it's lacking low end balls. Any suggestions? I tried just adding low eq and not doing it, I'm sure I'll get there but more ideas are better. Now that I stepped away from it I'm thinking maybe more depth?

Thats my main amp and I leave everything default except I put the bass on 3.69 and use the bass cut and add some gain. Plenty ballsy here! Try different Ir's maybe.

Did something happen to the Presence control with this amp a few firmwares ago? When this amp was first released, its Presence control was insane. Increasing it made the amp go from "normal" sounding to a sizzling, pissed off firebreather.

Now it seems like setting the Presence at anything higher or lower than between 11:00 and 1:00 is unusable. Below 11:00 sounds muddy and blankety, and above 1:00 sounds like it doesn't add sizzle, but actually removes bass and thins out the tone. Was the Angle Severe's Presence control reprogrammed to act as a Tilt EQ or something?

Could be that you need more low end around 125hz, but it could also mean you need more low mids around 250hz-500hz.
Try boosting those knobs on the EQ page of the amp block.

If you don't get a fat sound with this amp sim and a proper IR, no one can help you. I love this amp. Tons of balls.

Did something happen to the Presence control with this amp a few firmwares ago? When this amp was first released, its Presence control was insane. Increasing it made the amp go from "normal" sounding to a sizzling, pissed off firebreather.

Now it seems like setting the Presence at anything higher or lower than between 11:00 and 1:00 is unusable. Below 11:00 sounds muddy and blankety, and above 1:00 sounds like it doesn't add sizzle, but actually removes bass and thins out the tone. Was the Angle Severe's Presence control reprogrammed to act as a Tilt EQ or something?
I thought this was strange as well. I set the presence at about 11 o'clock (sounds the best to me at this setting) and go from there. I've never played an Engl Savage (I own an Engl Invader 150) but never heard anyone describe its presence control to behave like the models in the Axe-Fx II.

It's sounding pretty good now. I raised the master a bit, lowered the presence. Little bit of eq, using factory F173 cab. Sounds pretty nice. I'm going to use it to cover Painkiller at tonight's show.

Btw, the mark 4 amps sound really really nice with the new firmware. I tweaked my normal patch a bit and switched to the + model and ... bam, major improvement.

It's sounding pretty good now. I raised the master a bit, lowered the presence. Little bit of eq, using factory F173 cab. Sounds pretty nice. I'm going to use it to cover Painkiller at tonight's show.

Btw, the mark 4 amps sound really really nice with the new firmware. I tweaked my normal patch a bit and switched to the + model and ... bam, major improvement.

I would love to hear that Painkiller. :)

Our singer and drummer nail it pretty good. I've never gelled with the guitar lead so I kinda do my own thing.. I really prefer the more vintage priest but gotta keep the peace

I was just listening to Painkiller! Hey I said earlier the Angle 1 is my main amp on the AxeFx for rhythm but for lead it's got too much of a thunk pick attack that at first I thought was latency but it's not. I have to use a different amp for my leads to get around this but I would like to use the same amp for both lead and rhythm so I can use scenes and not have any dropout. Anyone have a work around? Sorry for sidetracking your thread by the way.

I was just listening to Painkiller! Hey I said earlier the Angle 1 is my main amp on the AxeFx for rhythm but for lead it's got too much of a thunk pick attack that at first I thought was latency but it's not. I have to use a different amp for my leads to get around this but I would like to use the same amp for both lead and rhythm so I can use scenes and not have any dropout. Anyone have a work around? Sorry for sidetracking your thread by the way.
You can use two different amp blocks(no x/y switching) in parallel with scenes to get gapless switching. I use to do this all the time when I played live.

You can use two different amp blocks(no x/y switching) in parallel with scenes to get gapless switching. I use to do this all the time when I played live.
Good idea but I've been using my Ax8 with only one amp block. I could go back to my AxeFx II I suppose. Thanks

I have to use a different amp for my leads to get around this but I would like to use the same amp for both lead and rhythm so I can use scenes and not have any dropout.
Sorry to suggest the obvious, but could you try a scene with lower gain, and a Tubescreamer in front? Sounds like it might refine the Savage a little for you

Good idea but I've been using my Ax8 with only one amp block. I could go back to my AxeFx II I suppose. Thanks
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Axe-Fx II. I've been on the fence about getting an Ax8 for use with my amp 4cm and as an all in one for other applications.

For people using the Angle Severe (1) for their main (metal) rhythm tone:

Do you prefer to boost it (drive block, TS, drive 0 etc.) or not? With my Engl Invader head I never used a boost ... and l also think the Angle Severe 1 sounds ”chunkier” without. The attack is already fantastic on this amp.

But still I think some pre-EQ might clear up the lows and make it even more defined ... anyone tried with pre-PEQ or per-Filter block with good result?

Back
Top Bottom