And speaking of input volume

Yes, Input Level has always been the subject of misunderstanding. Partly because in the Axe-Fx Std/Ultra it worked differently, and did affect gain and level.

What is does now is just lower the noise floor (SNR: Signal-to-Noise Ratio). "Tickling red" is the optimal setting, but nothing goes wrong if a guitar doesn't ever reach red, or lits it frequently. Just don't go near the extreme low and high settings.

I have mine around 35% (with my Les Paul).

Last edited:
Yes, Input Level has always been the subject of misunderstanding. Partly because in the Axe-Fx Std/Ultra it worked differently, and did affect gain and level.

What is does now is just lower the noise floor (SNR: Signal-to-Noise Ratio). "Ticking red" is the optimum setting, but nothing goes wrong if a guitar doesn't ever reach red, or lits it frequently. Just don't go near the extreme low and high settings.

I have mine around 35% (with my Les Paul).
I'm coming from a Roland GR-20 line out. I adjusted my I/O input level from 49%, where it's been at, to 100%. I never got the reds to flash. So does that mean, going by the manual, I should keep it at 100%? Or was my 49% level just fine?

Set it 80% or so. Do not use the lowest and highest range.

What yek said. There's no such thing as "maximum unity gain" or "minimum unity gain."

Unity gain means 0 dB of gain. It's a single, fixed amount of gain. You can't maximize or minimize that. :)

Set it 80% or so. Do not use the lowest and highest range.
I kept increasing it and never saw any red. So I set it at 100% and most of my noise, on the high gain presets, is gone. I was even able to change settings on my input gate and open it up more. There are no input reds showing at all. I'll experiment and lower it to 80% and see how much noise comes back. As I mentioned, I'm not instrument level in, but rather line level in, and my GRs output is at 0db. So that may be the difference. I'm sure it would be different if I was guitar direct to AXE.
Thanks

I kept increasing it and never saw any red. So I set it at 100% and most of my noise, on the high gain presets, is gone. I was even able to change settings on my input gate and open it up more. There are no input reds showing at all. I'll experiment and lower it to 80% and see how much noise comes back. As I mentioned, I'm not instrument level in, but rather line level in, and my GRs output is at 0db. So that may be the difference. I'm sure it would be different if I was guitar direct to AXE.
Thanks
You should look at using input 1-R instead of the 'Instrument' input.?

What yek said. There's no such thing as "maximum unity gain" or "minimum unity gain."

Unity gain means 0 dB of gain. It's a single, fixed amount of gain. You can't maximize or minimize that. :)
I've been a pro audio engineer, for 45 plus years, and well aware of the meaning.;) I probably should have used my wording differently.:blush: I try to take into consideration novices in certain topics and phrase differently. Our definition of "Maximizing" unity gain is achieving 0 db from the first input, all the way through the signal path, to the last input. Sometimes it is an impossibility, to get each signal in the chain to achieve 0 db. So compensations have to be made to achieve optimisation. We also always have to take headroom into consideration, which many people don't do, causing noise or clipping.
My misunderstanding here was with what the I/O input levels do. Now, thanks to @Moke's post and @yek's explanation, I understand it completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
You should look at using input 1-R instead of the 'Instrument' input.?
I don't use the "instrument" input. I use "rear" input 1-R. I stated that previously and suggested anyone using wireless or pedals, etc., before the AXE, should do so as well.:)

I don't use the "instrument" input. I use "rear" input 1-R. I stated that previously and suggested anyone using wireless or pedals, etc., before the AXE, should do so as well.:)

I might have to try that for shits and giggles. My chain is wireless > PitchBlack tuner > Axe in the front. Not that I am really having any real issues, but might be interesting to see it affects anything. I always stayed going in the front because of the "special sauce"

I've been a pro audio engineer, for 45 plus years, and well aware of the meaning.;) I probably should have used my wording differently.:blush: I try to take into consideration novices in certain topics and phrase differently. Our definition of "Maximizing" unity gain is achieving 0 db from the first input, all the way through the signal path, to the last input. Sometimes it is an impossibility, to get each signal in the chain to achieve 0 db. So compensations have to be made to achieve optimisation. We also always have to take headroom into consideration, which many people don't do, causing noise or clipping.
My misunderstanding here was with what the I/O input levels do. Now, thanks to @Moke's post and @yek's explanation, I understand it completely.
Understood.

Back
Top Bottom