Amp Weirdness in 9.0

Dino Alden

Long time no post!

Anywho, experiencing an odd amp behavior in 9.0.
Ultra, 8.06 to 9.0.
With some clean amp based patches the sound is louder and more overdriven. When just selecting the Amp window directly on my Fractal, the sound changes back to the original, less driven sound. However, this doesn't seem to happen on all of the clean amp based patches I have, just most! One patch that does behave this way is patch 011 "Broken Heart". As a side note, I don't remember if I have altered this program on my unit sometime in the past. I have gone back and forth between 8.06 and 9.0 and the issue is consistent.
Perhaps there is some global setting that I need to adjust going from 8.06 to 9.0?
Perhaps I need to re-download 9.0?
Perhaps I need a priest?
Help!

I would recommend either defaulting the amp block to default settings by pressing and holding the "bypass" button or double-clicking it (still haven't gotten confirmation on which is correct since they both work) then adjust to taste.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I explained my situation well enough.
After installing 9.0, when I select a clean amp based patch, like 011 "Broken Heart" for instance, the patch sounds loud and overdriven. When I go into the layout window and just click on the "AMP" block the sound immediately changes to a quieter, non-overdriven sound before I've even touched a single parameter in the amp edit window.
This only happens with the "AMP" block, not with any of the other blocks in the patch.
My Ultra has never behaved like this with any of the other firmware updates.
Me thinks something is wrong! :shock:

First, firmware update is a binary condition. Either it went through to completion or it didn't. If your utility screen shows the new version, it worked. Re-updating won't make any difference.

Second, did you execute the "update presets" procedure? If not, I suggest you try it.

Jay Mitchell said:
Second, did you execute the "update presets" procedure? If not, I suggest you try it.

OMG! That's it man!

Infact, I now remember that I still hadn't done that for 8.6 (I've just been insanely busy this year). No wonder 9.0 was messed up for me!

You totally ROCK, Jay! :D

Good call Jay, I guess it's just me but for every major firmware update I always update all the banks... regardless of whether they need them or not... We never get a clue as to whether or not Cliff has adjusted the banks so I just update them... One clue was the "Master of Puppets" patch that had the reverb set to 100%

is the 'update presets' needed if u load in the updated bank presets cliff releases?
ive always been confused about this.
what i do is update firmware, then updates banks with the editor. then thats it. i never used the 'update presets' function

Back
Top Bottom