Amp compression settings

TakaraGold

Experienced
Hi guys,
Well I made the jump from 10.12, even though I didnt want to, since I was pretty at ease with my presets and overall tone. But since Im redoing my whole first bank, Id had to it earlier than later on.
While some presets went berzerk and sounded awful, some got more "life" out of it.
There is a parameter Ive never dealt with before, compression. With 11b it defaulted to a much higher level than it used to.
How can we know which amps benefit from compression?, I used my Plexis with comp at 0. And now with the higher default Im totally lost. Is compression better for clean amps, higher gain amps or it just depends on specific amp types?
Id appreciate any light, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I am not using the beta, so I have no idea what the amps sound like with that fw, but my suggestion would be to simply play around with the compression. If you used an amp with zero compression and now it defaults to something much higher, simply turn it down again and use your ears. If you prefer the sound with compression at zero then keep it like that, YOU have to be happy with your sounds. The nice thing about the Axe is the fact that everything can be adjusted to your taste ;-)

AFAIK, Cliff is still finetuning this parameter for each amp, so to begin with it's not so much what benefits an amp but what comes closest to the original.
The rest is up to you.

It would be great for this parameter to default to specific recommended values for each amp type. Sort of like the master volume works.
I know my ears should always be my best friend in this. But it is also nice to learn a bit about theory. Thats why I would like to know which amps interact with compression and which dont.

I believe Cliff mentioned they were planning to update Bank A with the release of FW11 (alpha) to provide a preset for each amp (or most of them if there's more than will fit). So you should have the ideal settings, etc. for most amps at that point. If there's a specific amp you're using a lot, you might post about that amp specifically (or search it out on the forum).

It would be great for this parameter to default to specific recommended values for each amp type. Sort of like the master volume works.
I know my ears should always be my best friend in this. But it is also nice to learn a bit about theory. Thats why I would like to know which amps interact with compression and which dont.

It does for have a default fo comp and many others.

The preamp comp emulated a cathode follower.
Some amps have them, others do not. the ones that do not have 0 value for preamp comp.

Still would be great to know exactly which kinds do or dont, or benefit anyways even if they dont habe comp. For example I use the Friedmans a lot, the Plexis, Suhrs and the Bogners. Still messing with the Mesas to get decent studio sounds out of them. And the Triptik has become a favourite as well. Do those use comp? High amounts? Low amounts? None?

Still would be great to know exactly which kinds do or dont, or benefit anyways even if they dont habe comp. For example I use the Friedmans a lot, the Plexis, Suhrs and the Bogners. Still messing with the Mesas to get decent studio sounds out of them. And the Triptik has become a favourite as well. Do those use comp? High amounts? Low amounts? None?

My advice is to hold on for the full 11.0 release with accurate and verified default settings for each and every modeled amp. It will make you a happy man, trust me.

I guess the full release won`t change the sound on the vintage orange recto. Just found the nicest recto lead tone i´ve ever had.
Took down comp from the high default setting.

Comp 17.1%.
Saturation on
Gain at 7.53.
Bass ca 3.2
Mid 5.00
Trb ca 7
Bright on
Pres ca 4
Cut: depends on your guitar
Cab: Recto OH + OH Bogner beta 3 - 57 WF

I used a Suhr modern GG w/Aldrich.

I have 2 sets of monitors here.