Wish Amp+cab block

I don’t find it difficult or frustrating to pull up a browser and navigate to the Wiki amp list, hit command+f and find, for example all Fender amps. Read a bit about the amp(s) and typical cab(s) used. Go to the cab list Wiki, hit command+f and narrow down to the “authentic” cab(s) and find them using Edit.

I do find that I’m more well informed than by pulling up a predefined preset selection. I find what I'm after tonally with a lot more knowledge to boot!

I’m astonished at the amount of information on the Wikis and yeks write ups.

Where else can you find that level of information on amps and cabs? Umm…no where. You'd have to scour the internet for hours or days to gather that yourself.

Is it organized in the best manner? It gets the job done. I can find things quickly and I've never felt frustrated or there to be a need to organize it better.

Not really knowing but a few of amps/cabs personally and no longer having any real amp/cabs to reference. The information available by way of the Wiki, yeks write ups and all that is shared on this forum is essential.

Do I disagree with the suggestion? No. But it really only takes a couple of minutes to find and setup a preset with the "corresponding" amp+cab with the existing information and tools. The knowledge gained is IMO...priceless.

p.s. The AB Naked Amps suggesting is wonderful...not for FM3 users though.

I don’t find it difficult or frustrating to pull up a browser and navigate to the Wiki amp list, hit command+f and find, for example all Fender amps. Read a bit about the amp(s) and typical cab(s) used. Go to the cab list Wiki, hit command+f and narrow down to the “authentic” cab(s) and find them using Edit.

I do find that I’m more well informed than by pulling up a predefined preset selection. I find what I'm after tonally with a lot more knowledge to boot!

I’m astonished at the amount of information on the Wikis and yeks write ups.

Where else can you find that level of information on amps and cabs? Umm…no where. You'd have to scour the internet for hours or days to gather that yourself.

Is it organized in the best manner? It gets the job done. I can find things quickly and I've never felt frustrated or there to be a need to organize it better.

Not really knowing but a few of amps/cabs personally and no longer having any real amp/cabs to reference. The information available by way of the Wiki, yeks write ups and all that is shared on this forum is essential.

Do I disagree with the suggestion? No. But it really only takes a couple of minutes to find and setup a preset with the "corresponding" amp+cab with the existing information and tools. The knowledge gained is IMO...priceless.

p.s. The AB Naked Amps suggesting is wonderful...not for FM3 users though.
I don't find it difficult or frustrating plugging in the physical amps and cabs either. You'd be hard pressed to get more knowledge about them than that. The point is to simplify workflow and get to the end result faster/easier in order to keep creativity flowing. Sometimes you may not be after the finer points of a V30, you just want the sound the amp was designed for in mind.

I don't find it difficult or frustrating plugging in the physical amps and cabs either. You'd be hard pressed to get more knowledge about them than that. The point is to simplify workflow and get to the end result faster/easier in order to keep creativity flowing. Sometimes you may not be after the finer points of a V30, you just want the sound the amp was designed for in mind.

The amps sound wasn't designed for the mic choice and position of such on the cab/speaker.

A creative workflow is best served by having the knowledge and knowing how to use the tools at hand. Inspiring sounds will follow. Less to do with simply having corresponding amp/cab combos at hand. IMO.

Is having a corresponding amp/cab setup inspiring or is it a means to be organized?

The amps sound wasn't designed for the mic choice and position of such on the cab/speaker.

A creative workflow is best served by having the knowledge and knowing how to use the tools at hand. Inspiring sounds will follow. Less to do with simply having corresponding amp/cab combos at hand. IMO.

Is having a corresponding amp/cab setup inspiring or is it a means to be organized?
For me at this point organizational. I know what my triple Rec sounds like thru my oversized Mesa cab. Give me a cab block that narrows down that cab with its various mic choices and positions so I can get where I’d like to get to a little quicker. I know what a 57 sounds like. If I want that, let me narrow down to the cab and mic and just give me the IRs various positions.

As the axe 3 use IR with a specific mic, it’s not like the axe 2 or the helix that allow you to choose a cab and a mic in a separate place. So this wish cannot be done with this generation of product

As the axe 3 use IR with a specific mic, it’s not like the axe 2 or the helix that allow you to choose a cab and a mic in a separate place. So this wish cannot be done with this generation of product
I wish each amp type has a factory cab block "default" with IR, drive, thump, and so on. There should be at least an option: load default on/off. So we can choose if maintain the current cab when changing amp type, or load the factory matched cab (if there is a cab block...).

I wish each amp type has a factory cab block "default" with IR, drive, thump, and so on. There should be at least an option: load default on/off. So we can choose if maintain the current cab when changing amp type, or load the factory matched cab (if there is a cab block...).
Yes but as they say before, if a mic is always attached to an ir, what is the « default » one ?
They need to completely redo their cab modeling part and bring back the mic sim menu, so…

But yeah me too I prefer to have just 20 cabs and 20 mics with visual better than 10000 irs to scroll. Now I don’t scroll them anymore, but in the beginning, the time that it takes to found combinations and favorite ones …

Yes but as they say before, if a mic is always attached to an ir, what is the « default » one ?
They need to completely redo their cab modeling part and bring back the mic sim menu, so…
The default is what Fractal choose default cab is. Like any block/type, fractal decide what is the default parameters! If it is doable, we could wish an editable table with amp#/cab# to load into the device. So we can have a "Fractal default cab selection", or edit in axeedit our own preferences, and share.... without changes to actual cab block.

Looking at this another way. We should have an amp block that defaults to a Pignose amp model if we select a cab block that defaults to a 1x4 Pig 57 IR. Regardless of the tone parameters of the amp block. ;)

Last edited:
I've got to say that after a month with my new FM3 I'm unhappy about how long it took to create my first likable tone. Place an amp and then go hunting for a cab until ear fatigue sets in and then it starts all over again the next day,
I've been reading through and see that this is important topic, it's important to me for sure.:) As avant-garde as guitar players can (and will) be it's safe to say there's a well known starting point from where tones come from. So here goes...

Need: Help users get an expected sound immediately.

Problem: A lot of navigation and time is needed to get a combo amp with its matching factory speaker or a common amp head with its matching speaker cabinet.

Feature: User selects an Amp Block and the matching Cab Block (factory cab type w/default raw speaker(s) and SM57 (on axis) added to the grid for them. When a match exists the user could receive a "Add original Cab? (Y/N)" prompt.

Design: Underlying amp model and cab model FA meta data could allow for amp/cab native bindings via lookup tables or FA defined mappings of amps-to-cabs. Native bindings could have one-to-many binding to enable OEM raw speaker and mic variations that directly apply to a particular amp.

One of critical components of a great piece of gear is the user's success. I hope FA takes an interest here.

We have a thing guys where you can turn the Axe on and the cab you like will be there. It’s called presets.

If you don’t have fun trying out different IR’s the same way we have fun trying out new amp models.

Find cabs you like and stick to them.

We have a thing guys where you can turn the Axe on and the cab you like will be there. It’s called presets.

If you don’t have fun trying out different IR’s the same way we have fun trying out new amp models.

Find cabs you like and stick to them.
Presets are very cool but not all amps are covered with presets and maybe even outdated also comparing the last Factory Presets release until the current Firmware .

Why is there so much pushback for a whish from people that don’t need this functionality? If you don’t need it that’s fine, everybody has different wishes and needs. Personally I do see the added value of functionality that helps pick a cab that has a good match with the amp, having that in the editor would be just fine. I would like having a filter in the cab picker to narrow down to a range of cabs that “matches” the amp block.

Do we all vote on what IR’s go to which amp model? Or do you want it to not find the “correct” cabinet model but you want it to save the “correct” cabinet once you find that one?

Jeronimo's point is paramount... This is a "wish."
The reason an amp or combo became well known, respected and beloved is enough to support and hopefully present its original configuration, whenever possible.
Time is precious and valuable. Ear fatigue, going blind stepping through screens and scrolling through vast WIKI pages distances me from my music and the joy of playing.

What if me or someone else writes down the wiki's suggested cabs for every amp model, then make it a post/thread, instead of reading the amp model wiki it'll just be condensed for everyone.

Why is there so much pushback for a whish from people that don’t need this functionality? If you don’t need it that’s fine, everybody has different wishes and needs. Personally I do see the added value of functionality that helps pick a cab that has a good match with the amp, having that in the editor would be just fine. I would like having a filter in the cab picker to narrow down to a range of cabs that “matches” the amp block.
I don't really see anyone saying it's a bad idea. The 'pushback' seems to be in the implementation; out of the hundreds of IRs of a speaker/cab, how do you pick the one that the majority will find useful and a good representation of what the amp is 'supposed' to sound like?

Even if one was found that most users could use and be satisfied with, there would be many complaints about the one that was chosen. They should have chosen a different mic, they should have used an IR mix, they shouldn't have used an IR mix, it doesn't sound anything like my amp, etc....

Back
Top Bottom