Am I To Believe That the GCP Will Not Display Patch Names?

stvnscott

Really?! Seriously?! So I'm supposed to remember all my patches by number?!

I understand that I can manually name my patches to correspond with the AFX, but in this day in time someone actually sells a MIDI controller that can't pull down the patch names from the device?!?! Am I being PUNK'd?

Well...GCP isn't the most expensive piece of gear that can't do this...it's really dumb. AFAIK, my All Access won't either. Nor show the tuner. I wonder if anything can be done about this...is there any way to program the All Access to access this information from the AFX now that the MFC-friendly firmware is in place?

danielodland said:
Well...GCP isn't the most expensive piece of gear that can't do this...it's really dumb. AFAIK, my All Access won't either. Nor show the tuner. I wonder if anything can be done about this...is there any way to program the All Access to access this information from the AFX now that the MFC-friendly firmware is in place?

IMO that's not possible.

Liquid-foot pro and liduid-foot jr. can do this

To be fair the GCP is five years old so wasn't built in anticipation of a modeller sending it patch names. I have one and programming patch names is easy.

Saying that, I WANT THE FRACTAL MFC!!!

fandyboy said:
To be fair the GCP is five years old so wasn't built in anticipation of a modeller sending it patch names. I have one and programming patch names is easy.

Thats not correct is it? It can cooperate with POD cant it?

danielodland said:
fandyboy said:

Thats not correct is it? It can cooperate with POD cant it?

No, there's no dynamic interaction back to the GCP from the POD. The GCP just has a pre-defined list of amp models that are on the POD. Kind of like a glorified IA setup. You certainly can't get tuner or patch info.

I wish more than anyone that the GCP could receive MIDI from the Axe. Can't see it happening though.

Agree. I remember asking Rocktron support whether it was possible, they said they needed some kind of info from Fractal that according to Rocktron, they were not likely to receive....dunno what that meant.

The only controllers out there that will do that are Fractals and the Liquid Foot.

There is more than one reason for that. One, you would have to support a TON of devices (unless you limited yourself to a few). Two which patch name are you talking about? Most controllers can control multiple devices at a time. Mine controls my Switchblade, ABCadabra, and occasionally my adreanlinn. So you also need a mechanism to tell it which thing to pull the patch name from. Also, the way many of the controllers are setup, patch 1 on the controller may point to patch 35 or whatever on another device.

Unless the foot controller is specifically made for a device it normally DOESN'T do that.

The only exception to this I know is the Liquid Foot (it does PodXT and the Axe-fx).

If this is a requirement for you, you should get one of the 2 controllers that satisfy that requirement. If you want something only for the Axe-fx and is fully integrated and created for the Axe-fx, the FAS controller may be the best bet.

stvnscott said:
Really?! Seriously?! So I'm supposed to remember all my patches by number?!

I understand that I can manually name my patches to correspond with the AFX, but in this day in time someone actually sells a MIDI controller that can't pull down the patch names from the device?!?! Am I being PUNK'd?

There is really no way a generic MIDI controller can know how to pull patch names from another device. There is no MIDI standard for such information so the controller manufacturer has to devise a scheme to download the SYSEX data from the device. And you wouldn't want it doing that in real time all the time since sending the SYSEX exchange suspends operation of some devices. It also would require you to have two MIDI cables hooked up so you could send and receive.

MIDI is a very, very simple and limited protocol for data exchange. This is one of the reasons why Line 6 and Roland use proprietary protocols for communicating with their foot controllers.

Assuming the GCP has a way to upload patches, it should be fairly straightforward to write a program to download patch names from the Axe-FX and update the GCP.

Personally I would never want this sort of feature. I do not want my foot controller patches to line up with the device I am controlling. I have about 8 patches on the Axe-FX I use but I have 14 patches on my foot controller. Depending on what I'm doing I want to be able to switch from "Mild Crunch" dry to "Mild Crunch" with delay and boost - where "Mild Crunch" is a single patch on the Axe-FX with a bunch of effects controlled by external controllers. This way I only have to maintain one "Mild Crunch" patch and can create patch variants with the foot controller by enabling certain controllers.

The Liquid Foot has a cool way of doing it called Auto-Load. It loads patch name and effects states to a preset. You can then alter the name or the effects presets from there. A big time saver. I'll rename the patches slightly after loading and change to verse, chorus, bridge, clean , crunch that sort of thing. I mostly use the song anD setlist mode anyway.

The Axe-fx has the capability to transmit and receive over one MIDI cable if the other device is able (Fractal, Liquid)

I use a GCP with my FX. It's a piece of cake to enter patch names into it..........................takes all of about a minute per patch, if that.

Compared to the time spent tweaking patches in the FX, entering patch names into the GCP is cake.

javajunkie said:
The only controllers out there that will do that are Fractals and the Liquid Foot.
Gordius little/big giants are getting a firmware update so they'll display tuner soon as well.

Back
Top Bottom