Am I crazy to go back to Ax8?

I'd say what others are saying... If you still had the AX8, give it a shot. Since you don't have it anymore, try an FM3 or FM9 if you aren't loving the form factor of the FX3.

I still have my AX8 and also have an FM9 and FX3. The singer/rhythm guitarist in my original band is using my AX8. It's a long story, but basically, I made a quick preset based on what he wanted amp-wise on the AX8 and he liked it better than what I had on the FM9 and he likes simplicity. He really could use an FM3, but he bought one then sold it when he thought he wouldn't need to play guitar in the band, but then he ended up needing to play guitar. A bit impulsive, lol.

I actually wish I still had my Axe FX II (which I effectively traded for two Fender strats) since he doesn't need to change presets and could just keep the unit in a rack with the IEMs.

Of course, I'd still recommend the current gen of Fractal products over the previous, but those units were good enough to tour with 5 or so years ago, so why wouldn't they be now?

I miss the slightly more compact two row / 10+1 switch layout of the AX8. In every other way, the FM9 is vastly superior.
In that case, since you would be buying another device, the FM3 or FM9 are definitely worth the 'upgrade'. The AX8 vs Axe III tones was closer when I bought the Axe III at FW 3.0, but now the difference in tone and feel are very noticeable. The last time I played the AX8 was when I decided the difference was too great and sold it to get the FM3.

Don't let the 3 buttons on the FM3 fool you, it is impressive what they can do, moreso if you add a 2 button external switch. Everything I could do with the AX8 I can do with the FM3 and external switch and then some.
On a scale of 1-10 how noticeable is the time difference?

On a scale of 1-10 how noticeable is the time difference?
Presuming you mean noticeable difference in 'tone'. I sold the AX8 around FW 11 and given the updates since then, I would have to say 7. That's not saying the AX8 doesn't still sound great, it's a number to attempt to quantify the difference between two great modelers. Another major factor is how much the feel and dynamics of the amps have improved in the Cygnus modeling platform.

I have an axeiii mk2. Would I be crazy to go back to my old ax8 setup? Do I have rose colored glasses or would I be disappointed. I miss the form of the AX8 for travel, ease, and tweaking live.
There has been a lot of good (and valid) reasons on both sides given here but it really does come down to what you think sounds, and works, best for you.

I feel that the newest Fractal units sound great but I feel that the "improvements" have started to make them sound more "modern" (cleaned up more and clearer sounding, if that makes sense) where the older units can get you a better "vintage" sound.

I decided to keep at least one of each so that I could always get what I wanted for a specific song/recording.

You have an AXE FX 3 so you have the most current sound and if you can find an AX8 (or AXE FX II) for a good price then you might want to get one just to have the best of the past and present models.

I purchased an AX8 after hearing the 1st video (Rocco Pezzin really dials in the AX8 and XL+ for those killer "vintage" tones):

Try the FM9 and return it if you don t like it ? But you ll keep it like me without any doubt . The sound is better , all is better ... I Come from Ax8 too. Got all the fractal products before .

The OP’s loosely worded question doesn’t really tell you exactly what he’s trying to improve on, so it’s hard to predict any relative satisfaction or disappointment.

“Better” can only be measured if you clearly define one point to measure from and another preferred point(s) to measure to. For “travel, ease, and tweaking live,” the the only point of reference provided, there is little doubt that the AX8 is going to have an edge. Every other source of potential disappointment (or more beneficial solutions that might mitigate it) is left to our collective imagination, and is as valid as the next for the discussion.

There are many good, useful points and suggestions made here in an attempt to fill in the blanks.

The OP’s loosely worded question doesn’t really tell you exactly what he’s trying to improve on, so it’s hard to predict any relative satisfaction or disappointment.

“Better” can only be measured if you clearly define one point to measure from and another preferred point(s) to measure to. For “travel, ease, and tweaking live,” the the only point of reference provided, there is little doubt that the AX8 is going to have an edge. Every other source of potential disappointment (or more beneficial solutions that might mitigate it) is left to our collective imagination, and is as valid as the next for the discussion.

There are many good, useful points and suggestions made here in an attempt to fill in the blanks.
I’m really missing the adjustment knobs with the LEDs and the foot switch layout. I’m sure the FM3/9 is great. I only have the III now. Just missing the knobs on the boards

I started gigging with a peavey rage 158. No kidding! I was broke. If you can make music with it, it’s good enough. The AFX/FM line is definitely better technology but if you can express your soul with an AX8 then that’s all that matters. If you’re used to it and can get the tones you want, then great.

………But man oh man do I love my AFX. The latest firmwares are just amazing.

So the AX8 might get you where you need to go, but there is always the Ferrari option too!

I know this is the kind of answer you don't want to hear, but sound is a matter of perception, if it sounds the way you like it, go for it

One of my friends actually just bought an AX8, haven’t had a chance to check it out how it sounds yet, but ok I’m going to admit I’m slightly envying all those knobs. I wish we could replace the level meters with those exact same knobs - amp controls always at your fingertips without finding the button in the dark to scroll to the next row on the performance page. You could just reach for them with muscle memory like the old days.

So there’s more to the question than which one sounds better. That’s easy: the latest firmwares make me feel like I’m witnessing modelling history, without exaggeration. But if you just need some simple tones, and the comfort of reaching for the amp knobs is more important, then AX8 might even be a better fit for some people.

I’m really missing the adjustment knobs with the LEDs and the foot switch layout. I’m sure the FM3/9 is great. I only have the III now. Just missing the knobs on the boards
If you havent' yet, play around with the Performance Pages on your Axe III. These offer many more options than the knobs on the AX8, twenty assignable parameters (10 Global, 10 Per Preset) available with a couple of button presses.

Thanks for that! It’s really helpful for everyone to know what your personal “better than what I’m using today” definition is. Everyone wants to help you get there!

The AX8 was a real winner, and a great design layout by FAS, on those points. The defined adjustment knobs went right to the heart of we players who missed the tactile and immediate feeling of real amp adjustments. I loved that about the AX8. While you can approximate the function of this on the more current units (as @JoKeR III points out above), it’s not right there staring you in the face like it was on the AX8.

The FM9 is a superb replacement in my personal experience, having used the AX8, Axe Fx III, and FM9 over the years. I shocked myself by selling my III-Turbo recently, and keeping the FM9-Turbo, with an added FC6 for even more switching options. You can assign the knobs for direct access to specific settings and, while they’re not boldly displayed like the AX8, you can get to the settings they control as quickly. This is the first time since 2011 that I didn’t have an Axe Fx… and so far I’m ok with it!

Nothing is going to beat the AX8 at being an AX8. It was a great unit for what it did, especially at that point in the evolution. But now, knowing what you’re really focusing on, I think the FM series can give you Axe Fx-like tones and capability along with AX8-like function and portability. I agree with others here that it would be a better solution, once you get used to how it accomplishes what you’re asking for here. The Axe Fx III is the flagship, and nothing does what it does, Fractal or otherwise. But if you can fit your presets into an AX8, then any FM will cover that and more.

Answering your specific question, I think you’d find the old adage “you can never go back” true here. While the AX8 would be fun and familiar, the current power/tone/capabilities of the III (or FM3T/9T) would make it a bit like running into your old girlfriend. Still pretty, but not a good fit for the current you.

If you havent' yet, play around with the Performance Pages on your Axe III. These offer many more options than the knobs on the AX8, twenty assignable parameters (10 Global, 10 Per Preset) available with a couple of button presses.
Yes but it bugs me to have to fiddle with buttons to scroll around in the dark. It’s not as immediate as just reaching for fixed knobs. PP is good but I would love knobs and more knobs. I would build one in MIDI but you can’t control the parameters.

Back
Top Bottom