Always look on the Bright side of life?

DrHee

Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question but...
In general across your patches to be played at gig level volumes, do you generally have the amp Bright switch on or off? I know there are lots of other factors involved from guitar to amp choice but do you find that brightness a bit too much at gig volumes. I've flip-flopped back and forth and am now in OFF mode, I find bright knob at full with bright switch off is less brightness than vice versa - not that i undestand the innards of these.
Note i am talking from a FRFR perspective. Cheers

Last edited:
This is one thing I haven't really played with - I generally just leave it in the default position that the amp is set with.

I almost always take the defaults so if an amp doesn't have Bright on by default I rarely engage it.

If it is on by default, I turn it off sometimes if the amp sounds good at low volume but harsh at gig volume.

Like @Morphosis suggested, I also occasionally change the Bright Cap value. Mostly on Marshalls and their sibling amp derivatives.

The Bright switch switches in/out one or more capacitors on the Input Drive network. The Bright Knob is an active fourth tone control at high frequencies. Think of it as "High Treble". You can use it to add a little zing to a preset or remove harsh high frequencies.

You can also use it to simulate the behavior of the Presence control on a Triaxis (which is really just a high cut). Turn it down to simulate "Presence" settings less than 10.

I almost always leave it to the default, which on any amp I use with some distortion, usually means it's on. For clean sounds, I'll turn it off if I want a warmer sound (for jazz gigs), or leave it on for a brighter sound (most other gigs). Just like on a real Fender amp, which has a bright swtich, where I'd do the same.

As we really need to tweak at gig volumes for gig presets, i have never been sure whether a default amp setting pertains to a good start point for a low volume or high volume setup (if that's a sensible question). Anyway, I find the bright switch on gives an extra high end that pierces a bit too much for me - guess there's no right or wrong though. Just thought the switch's function might be to add brightness at low levels, but obviously not neccessarily the case. Cheers

I almost always change the bright cap value from it's default value. How much highs you have at the input of an amp always depends of the guitar you use...how could any amp bulider know what guitars I use, so how can he know the default values for my setup?

Back
Top Bottom