Implemented Always boot to specific preset

Androo

Inspired
I wish very much I could opt to always start on one specific preset, as opposed to the last one used. Pretty stunned I cannot. I don't always think about parking back to it before I need to shut down. It may be annoyingly too far away from where I am to use the footswitch nav. I may not have the editor open to scroll over. I do, however, wish it would always boot into my nice, clean, safe custom preset.

I cold have sworn there was a tick in global settings to define a preset number for startup, at least on my old FM3 or was it the AX8? I cant remember, sorry, I just looked and do not see it, I would say being able to power on the FM9 and have it default to say 398 would be a nice to have though its easy enough to change a patch and the unit always starts up on the last used when powered off.

Yes you can. I have a preset called "soundcheck" that loads every time I power the unit for convenience and It loads with the scene that works better for, well, soundcheck.
The only thing you need to do is to set the Default startup Layout and attach a layout link to the preset and view you want to load every time. I have my FM9 configured to load scenes "as saved" on the preset, so this way this preset loads with the scene that I want for this application.
Default layout/view doesn't load a preset...

Maybe after that layout loads on boot you then step on a preset switch?

Layout Links only fire after you press a switch to trigger it's primary function and they change layouts, not presets.

Yes you can. I have a preset called "soundcheck" that loads every time I power the unit for convenience and It loads with the scene that works better for, well, soundcheck.
The only thing you need to do is to set the Default startup Layout and attach a layout link to the preset and view you want to load every time. I have my FM9 configured to load scenes "as saved" on the preset, so this way this preset loads with the scene that I want for this application.
Thanks. Can't say the manual was clear on this, nor can it be found using a keyword search. I'll try what you wrote. Still, a global setting seems trivial to implement and a logical option against last-saved .

Default layout/view doesn't load a preset...

Maybe after that layout loads on boot you then step on a preset switch?

Layout Links only fire after you press a switch to trigger it's primary function and they change layouts, not presets.
My bad, you guys are right, I didn't have the unit in front of me and I was just writing by memory, as I have other equipment that I have programmed in the same way and they do work like that, so let me rephrase that.
You are right, once the unit loads in my default startup layout I have a switch that loads the "soundcheck" preset, there's no way to have an specific preset at startup. What I normally do (now I remember..), is to load my soundcheck layout right before I turn off the unit, that way it loads the preset with the corresponding layout at startup.
So I guess I'm with the OP on this...

Thanks. Can't say the manual was clear on this, nor can it be found using a keyword search. I'll try what you wrote. Still, a global setting seems trivial to implement and a logical option against last-saved .
It's not possible... Which is why it's not in the manual.

I wish very much I could opt to always start on one specific preset, as opposed to the last one used. Pretty stunned I cannot. I don't always think about parking back to it before I need to shut down. It may be annoyingly too far away from where I am to use the footswitch nav. I may not have the editor open to scroll over. I do, however, wish it would always boot into my nice, clean, safe custom preset.

The Peavey Tubefex I used and loved (besides the wanky amp channel switching) started up exactly where you shut the unit down, if that was editing an effects block, preset or fine tuning an amp. I actually really miss that feature.

Hmmmm, a 'Home" preset designation would be handy actually.

Think Simon Rex GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty

I have my FM9 boot up to my Presets layout. On the Bank -1 switch, I assigned the hold function to jump directly to Bank 00 which is where my gigging presets are. That way if I'm doing something else at home and leave it on, say preset 189, when I get to the gig or rehearsal I can easily pop back where I need to be. And like many other folks, when I load a preset from the presets layout it changes to the Scenes layout where I live most of the time.

Maybe something similar would work for you? Make a "home preset" switch.

I think it'd be useful to predefine the startup preset, but my work-around is to remember which preset slot I start my personal presets in. During setup, once the unit is powered up, if it's not on my first preset then I switch to preset #390 and I'm ready to go.

It only takes a few seconds to move there from #0 or another spot by scrolling sideways through the presets list from the front panel.

I have my FM9 boot up to my Presets layout. On the Bank -1 switch, I assigned the hold function to jump directly to Bank 00 which is where my gigging presets are. That way if I'm doing something else at home and leave it on, say preset 189, when I get to the gig or rehearsal I can easily pop back where I need to be. And like many other folks, when I load a preset from the presets layout it changes to the Scenes layout where I live most of the time.

Maybe something similar would work for you? Make a "home preset" switch.
@LizzyD This is a very good compromise, thanks for posting it. It took me a bit to figure out the layout change so I'll post the thread and video I believe were the original references for setting that part up. While this certainly is closer, it doesn't prevent booting into a loud scene, or just starting from my chosen default section of presets. Given the options I have, this helps a lot. I would think that the Devs could implement a default pretty easily since they're always keeping the current pre/scene as a variable in memory it should be trivial to make it a constant.

EDIT: I figured out now that the same "Edit Link" can make the hold function switch to the Scenes layout, too.

For the other noobies...I cannot post a direct link to the video apparently due to my still-too-low post count so all I can point you to are:
Cooper Carter's YT vid: "New Fractal FM9 - Do THIS Before You Play Live!"
and the FM9 Discussion thread: "Great Idea: Saves Tap Dancing"
sure wish I could just post links...

Last edited:
I cannot post a direct link to the video apparently due to my still-too-low post count so all I can point you to are:
Yeah... You need 10 posts - you're very close!

I believe this is the one?

EDIT: I figured out now that the same "Edit Link" can make the hold function switch to the Scenes layout, too.
Edit Link is only for editing Layout Links, not adjusting the Hold function of a switch.

Yes, that was the video I wanted to link to. Thanks for posting it for completeness. I guess after this one I won't be limited anymore.

For the other point you made, I guess I either wasn't clear in my meaning or did something different. The way I got the unit to switch to the desired Home Preset and switch from Preset Layout to Scene Layout was by changing the "HOLD: Layout" FM9 option to Layout 2 ( = Scenes). I couldn't figure out another way. See the attached screenshot:
Screenshot 2022-10-23 212730.png

Yes, that was the video I wanted to link to. Thanks for posting it for completeness. I guess after this one I won't be limited anymore.

For the other point you made, I guess I either wasn't clear in my meaning or did something different. The way I got the unit to switch to the desired Home Preset and switch from Preset Layout to Scene Layout was by changing the "HOLD: Layout" FM9 option to Layout 2 ( = Scenes). I couldn't figure out another way. See the attached screenshot:
View attachment 110250
Ok... I misunderstood what you were saying. All good!

I've reorganized the presets on my FM3 that my own presets are starting from 1 (changed numbering via Setup) and other presets (testing 3rd party, factory) following after my presets and left some free between for adding own presets later.
The main presets I use with band are on the first 5 slots.
I will do this also with my FM9Turbo arrived yesterday.

@Androo,

Why not create a HOME switch (Select from TAP > Layout > Select Layout > Choice of Layout > View 1; HOLD > Preset > Select by # > Choice of Specific Preset [in my instance #386])?

My FM9 has this switch on several layouts so that TAP the customer-labeled HOME switch will pull up Layout 1, and HOLD the HOME switch will pull up my first user preset (essentially, a specific preset you spoke about).

Hello and thanks for the suggestion @bleujazz3. While these suggestions in the thread have been a big help to me getting set up, none lets me boot to a nice, clean starting preset unless I remember to go back to one before I shut down. That's really my hang-up. I often forget to park the unit on a specific preset.

With the suggestions I've played with the button combos and holds to navigate quickly to my sets/songs and then into the places I want to be starting from pretty quickly. The root of the wish though was to boot into something specific. I suppose since the underlying software can remember the last preset used, it could just as well store a constant instead of a variable, so it should be pretty easy to implement if they thought it worthwhile.

Anyhow, all these ideas help and are instructive but not what I was wishing for =)
Cheers,
A

Back
Top Bottom