Alto SMX112A review

Isn't this like comparing a Viper and a Prius?
From what I have heard the Alto is a very good speaker in its price range.

Exactly. I get Tim's point, but if I can make my AX8 sound good out front by making it sound good in my cheap Alto, I'm ok with that. Maybe even better than having it sound good to me through a high end FRFR and harsh and bright to the audience.

Possibly if the FOH is the exact same speaker system as your monitor.

If not, you have your presets "compensated" for the cheap speaker. That doesn't bode well to translate to another system.

I really don't sweat the FOH. We play plenty of low-rent shows where we run our sound through crappy FOH speakers. We just put them up high on sticks and rock on. I don't tweak the channel strip EQ at all for the Fractal. And yeah the beat to shit powered behringer FOH speakers we use don't sound nearly as good as my CLR wedge. But so what? If it was a high-profile gig, we wouldn't have shite FOH speakers and probably have someone else worrying about the FOH.

Usually around here, but have played at O'Sheckys, and his other club in Heath, and Alrosa Villa once. We'll be back up to the Ozzfest (Sweet Leaf) in june or july at O'Sheckys. What band are you in? I'm in a AIC Tribute called Hollow.

I just formed a new band called Wheelhouse. We played one gig at a country club 2 weeks ago. We'll play a set at On The Rocks on the 18th for photos and try to record a live demo. I'm also in an acoustic duo called Mama Drama. We play a bunch. I do a solo acoustic at a restaurant every month or so.

As for anything you might have heard of, I was in Mother Trucker for about 10 years. We played Columbus to Put in Bay. I was also in the acoustic version of Saving Jane. I fill in every now and then with Shucking Bubba Acoustic. I've ALMOST filled in for the full Shucking Bubba Deluxe band a couple of times, but the regular guitarist was able to play the shows. ;-)

I played at O'Shecky's only once for a benefit show for our old roadie. Sort of a combined Trucker/Saving Jane thing.

Other club bands in the fairly recent past: Misfit Toys, Little Sister, Jacked Up and others.
Wedding/corporate bands: The Mighty Quinn and fill ins with various others.

Isn't this like comparing a Viper and a Prius?
From what I have heard the Alto is a very good speaker in its price range.

Sort of, but the reality for many of us is that if we do tweak our patches for a CLR or other high end FRFR, our sound is being heard by the audience through inferior speakers that are far from FRFR. I don't think I've ever seen someone drive a Viper and Prius at the same time. :)

Possibly if the FOH is the exact same speaker system as your monitor.

If not, you have your presets "compensated" for the cheap speaker. That doesn't bode well to translate to another system.

I really don't sweat the FOH. We play plenty of low-rent shows where we run our sound through crappy FOH speakers. We just put them up high on sticks and rock on. I don't tweak the channel strip EQ at all for the Fractal. And yeah the beat to shit powered behringer FOH speakers we use don't sound nearly as good as my CLR wedge. But so what? If it was a high-profile gig, we wouldn't have shite FOH speakers and probably have someone else worrying about the FOH.

I guess I take a different approach to live shows. I sweat the FOH. I want my guitar to sound good to the audience even if it's not perfect for me, although I don't want it to sound terrible and frustrate me either.

I guess I take a different approach to live shows. I sweat the FOH. I want my guitar to sound good to the audience even if it's not perfect for me, although I don't want it to sound terrible and frustrate me either.

I've been playing in bands since 1976. In my experience, 99% of the audience is either paying attention to the lead singer or background singers depending on which one has bigger cans :)

The reality is most everyone in the audience isn't concerned about guitar tone.

Sort of, but the reality for many of us is that if we do tweak our patches for a CLR or other high end FRFR, our sound is being heard by the audience through inferior speakers that are far from FRFR. I don't think I've ever seen someone drive a Viper and Prius at the same time. :)
I meant the comparing Alto vs CLR.
Seems pretty clear that a high end speaker sounds better then a low end.
What i meant is.. " I just tried the new Prius. It drives like shit. I normally drive a Viper and the prius is shit compared to it.."

I meant the comparing Alto vs CLR.
Seems pretty clear that a high end speaker sounds better then a low end.
What i meant is.. " I just tried the new Prius. It drives like shit. I normally drive a Viper and the prius is shit compared to it.."

In the car analogy, this Alto is more like a Trabant.

Well that sucks; and doesn't speak very highly for "Reverb". I recently bought one from them and paid a little less than $350. It was a demo but came in a box that looked like it hadn't been opened. Honestly, it pisses me off to advertise something and then not honor it. GC did that a while back and I haven't bought from them since. Still a good speaker even for $400.

Back
Top Bottom