Alternate picking/prog style playing

The licks are architected to have the right number of notes on each string to get the picking to line up. You can Google his lessons and there is a method.
I see what you meant now, outside picking used when possible on string changes. I had just watched around 5:00-5:45 of the video yesterday, and he shows the 6-note outside-picked example after that.

I see what you meant now, outside picking used when possible on string changes. I had just watched around 5:00-5:45 of the video yesterday, and he shows the 6-note outside-picked example after that.
The exercises I posted come from some of his lessons.

secondary: for these heavier sounds I'm going 5150 III or HBE models. Are you guys doing anything else to in the signal chain to accommodate heavy, low tuned, single line rhythmic type runs. Multiband compressor for example?

IIRC, Periphery III was recorded using one of the Friedman models. The HBE C45 I think. Fairly stock (Misha talks about it on somewhere on one of his countless live streams). I think they used some custom IRs though. But for typical percussive djenty/metal stuff you really can't go wrong with sticking a TS808 drive with the classic Drive:0,Tone:5,Level:10 setting into the front of a 5150, 5153, Friedman, Brit 800 mod, or any of the other standard high gain models we have. That'll really tighten up the low-end and give your pick attack that rich saturated sound. To get a more "djent" sound, I usually reach for the Amp block input EQ and do a low-cut filter around 120-180 (upwards of 450 on the Friedman models), and a 4-5db bump at 1.4k (or thereabouts - gives the tone that "bow-that-rhymes-now" sound on the open strings).

Ultimately though, for this kind of playing, in my experience there's no processing that can substitute for technique. These guys generally use a super dry signal for their gain-y rhythm tones, with less gain than you'd expect, and most of the scenes do nothing but alter the tightness of the noise gate. But getting that right-hand technique down is crucial.

Been getting this down pretty good this week and yes less gain and drier than I normally like is definitely getting me in the ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom