[already in there] 60hz Hum Removal Block

I recently owned an ISP Hum Extractor to get rid of 60hz hum, and it worked flawlessly. This hum extraction algorithm is also incorporated into it’s audio effects devices.

It would be great to have a block (or noise reduction block parameter) that removes the 60hz hum without degrading the signal. I really think it is doable with my untrained digital processing opinion. 50hz could also be a switch/option for the third world countries who use 50hz based AC. lol

Who’s with me? Who just bought a Jazz bass with single coils and wants to add some grind without adding a ton of hum? Who just sold their humbucker-based PRS guitar and bought a guitar with a single P90 pickup?

Or, perhaps you can license the technology and have that hum removal block available for purchase?

I was gonna say the same as Chris! Set the power frequency to the same as your country in the Global Settings, and see if this helps.

Definitely check your AC Line Frequency as others have suggested.

Other ideas:

I know it's not ideal considering your explanation, but you could definitely use a notch filter with a high Q setting on your Output EQ to remove the issue. It's unlikely that you need to be producing frequencies that low, even on bass, and with careful tweaking of the attenuation and Q settings, you can remove a huge degree of it without having any significant impact on your tone.

If you wanted even more transparency though, you could use the Envelope Follower and have a PEQ block clamp down on the frequency only when you weren't playing. However, in contrast to knocking it out of your signal completely, you should probably expect to hear the hum creeping in on longer sustains, or have a tiny blip at the end of notes as the FM3 processes the signal.

Thank you, all. I have noticed a difference with the intelligent setting. It still has a good amount of buzz when I turn in different directions. However, I started working more detailed with the threshhold ratio settings and think I have a grip on things much better.

I think it’s easier to adjust these parameters for bass than guitar P90s because of lighter picking at times and guitar needs different threshhold.

It’s a balancing act and now I really working the knobs more. 😀

Thank you, all. I have noticed a difference with the intelligent setting. It still has a good amount of buzz when I turn in different directions. However, I started working more detailed with the threshhold ratio settings and think I have a grip on things much better.

I think it’s easier to adjust these parameters for bass than guitar P90s because of lighter picking at times and guitar needs different threshhold.

It’s a balancing act and now I really working the knobs more. 😀
If it changes when you move then it's EMI and not 60Hz (power) hum...

@PlanetGuitar did you find that fiddling with the AC Line Frequency and/or Intelligent setting eliminates the need for the ISP Hum extractor? I am on the Axe Fx II and I do not have the Intelligent setting on my unit and so I am considering the ISP Hum Extractor but if you can confirm that there is no more need for it once you play with the FM3's settings, then I'll probably hold off on getting the ISP Hum Extractor. I am actually considering upgrading to the Axe Fx III if it can help with taming my strat neck pickup's 60 cycle hum.

Yes!! I'm playing a place Jan 5 that's got the buzziest wiring ever and man it would come in handy! Lol

@PlanetGuitar did you find that fiddling with the AC Line Frequency and/or Intelligent setting eliminates the need for the ISP Hum extractor? I am on the Axe Fx II and I do not have the Intelligent setting on my unit and so I am considering the ISP Hum Extractor but if you can confirm that there is no more need for it once you play with the FM3's settings, then I'll probably hold off on getting the ISP Hum Extractor. I am actually considering upgrading to the Axe Fx III if it can help with taming my strat neck pickup's 60 cycle hum.
Ok, it seems like the FM3 is working well for me and my guitar’s P90s and the 60hz hum is reduced. The intelligent (INT) noise reduction setting works much better than the classic setting on the FM3. The INT setting combined with it’s gate works really well.

The HUM Extractor is the solution to handling the worst case scenario. The FM3 should def do the trick because I’m using it without the Hum Extractor and it’s working fine.

The HUM E gets rid of ALL the 60hz. The FM3 can do like 75% the job.

Back
Top Bottom