Allan Holdsworth patches v13.07

added a crappy demo to the original post. hopefully you can hear how fat the lead tone is. i think i had my tone control a little too far off, but it still sounds good to me

Did AH roll off tone and volume controls for his sound? Is that why you set up the patch to be played that way?

hmm...yes you're right, thinking about it. i don't know why those other guys are getting loads of noise...

fiddling around with input setting doesn't make any change to the noise ratio. Played with it some more today and also adjusted the presence as you suggested. I have to set treshold to -66 and ration to 2.5 to get manageable noise. Still when you hold a note you will hear a lot of noise coming in after 3 or 4 seconds.

Either the patch is corrupted (check the amp block is set to x and not y) or there's something different about your setup. If you watch videos of Allan, you can see him messing with his volume and tone controls all the time.

Either the patch is corrupted (check the amp block is set to x and not y) or there's something different about your setup. If you watch videos of Allan, you can see him messing with his volume and tone controls all the time.

Not sure. It's on amp X (USA Pre Yellow). Just using very simple standard setup: guitar straight in Axe fx and then to my studio monitors. I have checked with different (mostly passive single strats) guitars with good pickups and it didn't make much difference. It was (obviously) a bit better when using a humbucker guitar. Maybe you are using an active humbucker guitar? I guess it is too much high gain or something. But I think Holdsworth uses fairly high gain on his lead sound as well.

i'm using passive medium output humbuckers. you can hear from the clip above how it sounds to me. obviously no noise at all. if it sounds different to you, then yo'll have to try and track down why. i can't help you more than suggesting you compare what you hear to what i hear.

hmm...yes you're right, thinking about it. i don't know why those other guys are getting loads of noise...

i've been doing some a/b comparisons in logic with various selections of allan's lead playing and i think my tone is slightly too bassy and needs more upper mids. i've made a couple of tweaks to the eq and it sounds even better. i think i'll upload an updated patch. for info i used the mesa eq in the amp block and raised 2200 by 3db and cut 240 by -2.5db. i also raised bright knob to -6

here's what the new one sounds like

Sounds really really good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me too. the last couple of updates have really made a huge difference to the feel. with dynamic presence turned up a bit and the new preamp sag, the harmonic leaping (note bloom) and frequency response to changes in dynamic input (hit a note harder and hear top end react) have really improved. the connection between "what you do" and "what you hear" is so enjoyable now...it's that instant feedback you get as you play harder and softer...with fingers or pick...changing pickups etc etc. i've always felt that there was something missing with the mesa sims...a sort of "plasicky" top end...or "stiffness"...that has now completely vanished and been replaced with a dynamic frequency response that just feels amazing. i'm really pleased with this new lead sound, i think it captures a lot of the qualities i've been struggling to get since i used the ultra. it's a process though and hopefully i'll be able to get something even better in a later iteration, but for the moment i'm pretty satisfied.
when (if) allan eventually gets around to dialling in some tones on his axe fx, it'll be fascinating to see what he comes up with...

I agree with you! But it's a matter if he's will to share his presets!

I remember somewhere he had used it years ago but didn't think still did. I would love to hear him use it. I keep hoping for a new release from him

Back
Top Bottom