All amp models have have a high frequency rasp

I just made a JC 120 patch that stays super clean (no distortion that can be heard, you could probably measure some degree of distortion) with Abasis in humbucking mode. All I did was turn the amp gain down to 1.00. No other tweaks are required.

I'm just saying that when it's set up properly according to the manual, the FM3 will work as expected, no matter the pickups. Unless you are slamming the input so hard with a pedal or something that the input pad is not enough to compensate. But Fishmans aren't that high output.

Hmmm, it was a Tilt EQ back with the Axe II, figured it stayed that way, my bad! It's certainly not a high cut only shelf for all amps, that much is for sure as it's a boost/cut control, so it appears after further review to be a high shelf (the Input EQ's Definition param is a Tilt EQ).

Either way, it works well to bring out the upper harmonics, and Yek's Amp Guide quotes Cliff as saying, "Think of this as an extra tone control. Use it to add zing or tame some harsh highs". Since it's likely part of the tone stack, it can be smoother and less harsh sounding in a post preamp saturation relm vs pre V1a like the Input EQ, when one is looking for "air" and "zing" etc (i.e. bringing out some upper harmonics).

There is a High Cut param between the preamp and power amp, but that's a separate control on the Preamp Tab, plus various amps do have dedicated Cut controls in addition to the High Treble param (Vox etc).

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
Sorry, I misread one part of the wiki link. The "cut" part is only in reference to negative values.

The wiki quotes from Cliff specifically say it's between preamp and power amp.

Did you record via usb with the simple direct Input-Output chain (two blocks only) or a full preset? You need only In/Out blocks only - if there is an amp/cab in the preset, or any other block , you will not see the proper results. The simple preset will show clipping if the output block has 0dB. The amp will process a sound and make it look like there is no issue. With Input at 0dB and Output at 0dB Abasi's will still clip, even with -18dB padding, when strumming real hard, which happens to me sometimes. I detailed it all in other threads.

There is huge difference in the clarity of their sound when they are not overloading the input of the amp. When you have 0dB on the Input, Abasi's immediately compress and distort a sound, leveling everything and bringing mids forward. Sometimes you want this or don't care (chugging or even legato playing), sometimes you don't. I heard that but for some time was ok with it, and thought that was their intended sound, and compensated the clipping by lowering the level of Output block to avoid clipping on the waveform. I thought it just a normal compression. Well, it is not!

I always felt that Abasi's don't sound "as they should" in my setup. As I can make them sound using real amps. Other pickups were fine, strats etc., but Fishmans were always at least slightly distorted, no matter which amp I play, clean or not. Humbucking setting gives you slight distortion even on amps like Roland JC120 - it is not ok. And I never was able to figure out why, was just saying to myself - well, it is what it is. They are active, so they have limited dynamic range, they are crazy hot, that's why metal guys love them, blah blah - all sorts of excuses.

Until I tried -40dB of the level in the Input block yesterday :) They finally sound GOOD. No, they sound GREAT. Single coil settings are awesome now. Humbucking setting give me good jazz sound instead of that distorted something.
All the amps I was never fully happy with (clean amps) are sounding absolutely amazing with this setting. I'm back to trying all amps again because they just sound totally different, much more pleasing, open, dynamic. And the dynamic range - in-fucking-sane. I will have to learn to play again.

I will set up a Control Switch to jump between -18db input/0dB output and 0dB input/-18dB output and compare. But I already know I will use this as a "solo mode" switch to have the sound compressed for legato when I need it. So many options!

I urge to try. If you don't agree with me, that's ok! I plan to do all my tests again and who knows, maybe soon I will agree with you :) But right now I feel like I'm in a right place finally. Happy New Year!

I am really confused by your posts. I don't see how if you have the input block to -40db how there is any signal left. Fishmans aren't that hot. I have a set of Fishman Moderns in a guitar, and I think I keep the input pad at -12db, and it works fine with the input block at 0db. Even my super loud presets only require something like -6db on the output block. I don't see how your settings are so extreme. I use the meters on the meter screen to set the input and output level so they are right at the line where it starts turning from blue to red.

All the mid to high gain amps I have tried in the FM3 have this strange sound in the higher frequencies. This seems to occur regardless of the IR I am using.
Does this issue occur with any guitar you plug in?

If it doesn't, it's probably the
Fishman Fluence Modern
If it does, it's probably the
Mackie CR5X monitors
in an less-than-ideal monitoring environment.

Be wary of chasing your tail with the "magic fixes" many have suggested.

You should be able to get fantastic tones by sticking to the first page of any block, and if you start agonizing over getting your tones "perfect" in a sub-par listening environment, you're in for a far bigger headache the moment you try to and take those sounds anywhere else.

Does this issue occur with any guitar you plug in?
It appeared to, however trying some of @Chromatizm 's suggestions seemed to have helped with some of the strange sounds I was (or at least thought I was 🤣) hearing. It may have also been because I was trying to play too loud for my monitors.

less-than-ideal monitoring environment
I think this is probably true for the room I play in - I have noticed that sometimes the sound can get quite boomy, especially if I turn up the volume a bit too much!

I will continue to play around with the sounds I am getting over the next few days and report back after then :)

Thanks again!

I'm just saying that when it's set up properly according to the manual, the FM3 will work as expected, no matter the pickups. Unless you are slamming the input so hard with a pedal or something that the input pad is not enough to compensate. But Fishmans aren't that high output.
Well, I don't think this is correct, and it's coming not from the opinion, but oh-so-many tests I've did. This is from today, Input pad 18dB, Input and Output block direct connection, 0dB level on both, USB level 1dB (default), playing simple alternate pickup lines, not even hard-hitting the strings:
1704208205480.png
You can see not only clipping, but that some samples are actually lost via USB connection. I trust you when you say you don't see it "when properly set up", but that's not my experience.

I don't see how if you have the input block to -40db how there is any signal left. Fishmans aren't that hot.
Well, record and see for yourself :) And once you've add a drive before the amp, you'll get close to normal output in the recording. On the left is -40dB in the Input block with 18dB padding, on the right is 0dB in the Input/Output, Atomica High from EVH preset:
1704208664223.png

Anyway, the only usable Input block level with Abasi's for me seem to be -4dB in the Input block with 18dB global pad setting. Anything else clips.
Actually, this setting also clips if you start chugging, but for alternate picking lines this is the only setting not clipping:
1704208971502.png

I'm ready to hear my tests are not correct, but then I'd need an explanation what's wrong, so I can re-do them properly.

Oh, and I forgot to mention all of it in a single-coil mode.
In humbucking mode it just clips, pretty much always :)

Well, whatever makes you happy I guess. 🤷 My Abasis barely ever even flash the red light, so they're constantly at least below -6db. There is literally no way that they're clipping the converter.

Well, I don't think this is correct, and it's coming not from the opinion, but oh-so-many tests I've did. This is from today, Input pad 18dB, Input and Output block direct connection, 0dB level on both, USB level 1dB (default), playing simple alternate pickup lines, not even hard-hitting the strings:
View attachment 132338
You can see not only clipping, but that some samples are actually lost via USB connection. I trust you when you say you don't see it "when properly set up", but that's not my experience.

Well, record and see for yourself :) And once you've add a drive before the amp, you'll get close to normal output in the recording. On the left is -40dB in the Input block with 18dB padding, on the right is 0dB in the Input/Output, Atomica High from EVH preset:
View attachment 132339

Anyway, the only usable Input block level with Abasi's for me seem to be -4dB in the Input block with 18dB global pad setting. Anything else clips.
Actually, this setting also clips if you start chugging, but for alternate picking lines this is the only setting not clipping:
View attachment 132340

I'm ready to hear my tests are not correct, but then I'd need an explanation what's wrong, so I can re-do them properly.
Does the input indicator on the FM3 hit the red with the 18dB pad for you?

View attachment 132338

View attachment 132339

View attachment 132340

I'm mostly confused by why you're analyzing the input through an output at all when you can just record the DI straight from the input block. When I connect Out 1 to In1 it's drastically louder than if I just record a DI using Input 3 in my DAW (raw DI from Input1 block). Three guitars with fishmans in my house: HSS Classics, HH Classics, and HH Moderns; none of them are clipping as you describe.

Does the input indicator on the FM3 hit the red with the 18dB pad for you?
Nope, never
Even 0dB pad with a single-coil mode will not flash red unless I strum really heavy
But when recording Input to Output, you can see there is no dynamics with 0dB pad, it's always brick-walled from the sides. 6dB pad and other two settings have normal dynamic. That's just some funk playing and a few licks with 0dB pad:
1704215026779.png
If I play heavier, the peaks will be shorter (no idea why it that) and completely flat.
So it might seem that we don't need padding at all if we just play lightly some licks and not chug away, but I don't know, man, I'm confused

just record a DI using Input 3 in my DAW (raw DI from Input1 block)
I'd need instructions how to do that please. Not sure how to set up devices to get there.
My Abasis barely ever even flash the red light, so they're constantly at least below -6db. There is literally no way that they're clipping the converter.
Yep, many people thought the same before the clipping indicator was introduced in Axe3. I provided you with the links to those discussions, but if you don't want to read them, here's a TL:DR quote:
Firmware 22 for the Axe-Fx III and later add an on-screen warning about input clipping, because signal peaks can clip the signal, even when the Input LED meter doesn't flashes red.
So if I'm correct with my assumptions or not, I think we'll learn only when FM3 gets input clip warning too.

Nope, never
Even 0dB pad with a single-coil mode will not flash red unless I strum really heavy
But when recording Input to Output, you can see there is no dynamics with 0dB pad, it's always brick-walled from the sides. 6dB pad and other two settings have normal dynamic. That's just some funk playing and a few licks with 0dB pad:
View attachment 132351
If I play heavier, the peaks will be shorter (no idea why it that) and completely flat.
So it might seem that we don't need padding at all if we just play lightly some licks and not chug away, but I don't know, man, I'm confused

I'd need instructions how to do that please. Not sure how to set up devices to get there.

Yep, many people thought the same before the clipping indicator was introduced in Axe3. I provided you with the links to those discussions, but if you don't want to read them, here's a TL:DR quote:

So if I'm correct with my assumptions or not, I think we'll learn only when FM3 gets input clip warning too.

Page 26 of manual:
1704215939439.png

Nope, never
View attachment 132351

Are the batteries dead in your guitar? If the voltage of the battery is low, the sound will come out of the guitar clipped.

I recently changed mine because I found it was only putting out 7v. I noticed a fresh battery brought back a bunch of missing bass.

Ehh, a set of Abasis should give you about a 100 hours of battery life. Two batteries a week would be about 28 hours a day. Are you sure they're wired correctly?

Two batteries a week would be about 28 hours a day. Are you sure they're wired correctly?
The guitar is on 12-16h/a day, I never take the cable out even if it just sits on a stand, so I never wait until it's fully drawn. 4-5 days and I change it no matter if it still sounds good to me. I hate to change it during a playing session, so I just swap it in the morning. It's a habit already.
I should've bought their rechargeable battery pack when I had a chance :/

And I tried all sorts of batteries, rechargeable or not, expensive and not-so much, and took a guitar to be checked a few times, so yeah, I'm pretty sure battery or wiring has nothing to do with it.

Try Reaper, it's easy as can be in Reaper. I'm really curious to see your results. Make sure all inputs are enabled in DAW too.
Got it, thank you. The track is recording In 3 [In 1 L or In 2 L]. Is this correct? I would think so as I have Input1 as the only block on the grid now, connected to nothing. I just noticed it has -6dB on it, but I hope it matters not for DI.

0dB pad, strumming and a blues lick, humbucking mode. Everything is clipped, the waveform itself if compressed and narrow (same as it happens in Cubase when I record Input to Output).
1704220027851.png
6dB pad, strumming peaks clipping, some of the notes from the "lick" seems to be clipped too.
1704220109568.png
12 db pad, seems to me that the clips are also clipped - just look how leveled they are, I'm not that good :D
1704220211335.png
18dB pad, doesn't seem right either, m?
1704220408645.png

I'm officially beyond confused :)

FWIW, here's single coil mode with 0dB pad:
1704220595038.png
Again, the waveform is squished - you don't really hear it when playing with the distorted amp, but for sure you feel it, there is 0 dynamics

Single coil mode with 18dB pad:
1704220685389.png
Doesn't look that much better, does it?....

Attachments

• 1704219773024.png
    1704219773024.png
    51 KB · Views: 5
  • 1704219979517.png
    1704219979517.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1704220313467.png
    1704220313467.png
    422 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom