Advice, Please: Which IRs to buy.

dank

Inspired
Hello, all:

I have been using the Axe FX 11 for 2 1/2 years now, and it is my main rig. I did purchase a few Own Hammer IRs along the way. I am ready to update.

My band plays classic rock and current dance music. Mainly, I need IRs for Fenders, Marshalls, Mesa, etc. NO METAL OR DROPPED TUNING.
I don't need a ton of cabs; a handful would suffice, I believe.

Should I go with Cabs in the Attic or one of Own Hammer's new collections?

Again, I don't want too many too choose from. There is a law of diminishing returns with this stuff.

Thank you.

Dan

I bought the attic and CK pack no7 (MESA) waiting for pack 8 and 9 which will be marshalls and bogner (mostly anyway I think).
havent looked in to ownhammers stuff
CABS in FAS store are so cheap so you can buy a few without ruin yourself totally

I have almost every commercial IR out there right now that's available, and I gotta tell you I am really impressed with the new offerings from Ownhammer. The new Sun cab with the pre-rola celestions are amazing!

Last edited:
There are many clips to listen to of the latest IR servings. Whether or not they'll display for you the genre/vibe your looking for is another story. Finding your own flavor can only really be done by you and stepping up to the plate. Many here (including myself) are IR fanatics always chasing the latest in tones to be had with the new packs/libraries. Not hard to fall into especially when the IR's a really getting better and better as each new library/pack is released. Anything that offer greenbacks is really worth a look but don't overlook the V-30 IR's either. Great for just about any genre of music. They really do shine with classic rock.

I cross borders between classic rock and classic to sort of modern metal which basically I'm in the same sort of vein as far as amps and cab/IR's go. I've been happy with the Fractal's and OwnHammer's. I'm pretty stuck on the latter and have been for quite some time but either way you go, you really can't go wrong. I also have tried Clark Kent's IR's and they are excellent as well but just not my flavor. They could be your flavor though as they are with many here on the forum. I'm just another opinion with my preferences, not trying to make things more difficult for you.

I bought the Cabs in the Attic the day that they were released. Just got around to trying them out today. I was using AxeFXSend to audition and mark them and to be honest it was kind of pointless because if you mark every cab you don't really narrow anything down. It was hard to get through them because they are really, really good IMHO. I finally got hyper critical and then mixed a few quick Vox IR's in CabLab and am very happy.

As for my other go to IR packs the TAF stuff is really, really good. Personal taste not withstanding, Andy really seems to be able to put together mixes that fit what I am looking for so if I'm just in a rush or want to load something without having to do a lot of work I can grab one of his mixed IR's from the pack and it's usually fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom