Adventures in Accuracy

Dumb question. These graphs show frequency response, right? Like running pink noise into the amp and Fractal? I would imagine that’s just one part of the accuracy equation? It doesn’t tell you anything about the attack of the note, sag, “feel,” etc.
It's just frequency response. It's not a measure of dynamic response. That requires techniques that I'm not at liberty to disclose.

It's just frequency response. It's not a measure of dynamic response. That requires techniques that I'm not at liberty to disclose.

Let me guess:

Ancient Chinese secret...
Nope. It's likely proprietary info that helps FAS create its products the way it has thus far. And no, no relation to China. Cliff has already gone out on a limb saying dynamic response. If we want to be even on the same playing field as Cliff, we'd better bone up on our engineering and physics. Cliff didn't get to the pros without doing his homework first.

Just curious, but what about the null tests, where the signals from the model and the real counterpart are played at the same time out of phase to see if they cancel out each other?

Example:

This is the part I'm most impressed by with my FM9. Getting the steady-state response right is one thing, but nailing the dynamic response for a system as complicated as a guitar amp + cab, with nonlinear distortion and all sorts of circuit interactions, sounds like a freaking nightmare. Just the process of calibrating & verifying it across all the different permutations of knob settings, input levels, etc. would be very difficult without machine learning.

However you're doing it, it's working, because the first time I played through my FM9, it immediately felt right. There was nothing about it that I thought I needed to "dial out" -- anywhere you put the knobs, it sounds and responds like a real amp. It makes me want to keep turning it on and playing through it for hours. I think humans are remarkably good at detecting these subtleties even if they can't explain exactly what it is they're noticing.

Anyway, great job! I'm sure there are countless hours of brain-melting work in the background to create and refine all these algorithms, and clever solutions that you never get to enjoy sharing with anyone else because they're trade secrets.

Note some amp schematics have deliberate "mistakes" in them to make it harder for their designs to be stolen, or easier to track who leaked the schematic, or many other reasons. So probably wouldn't be the best idea to modify a real amp to the schematic in all cases.
The nice thing about encountering a sabotaged schematic and trying to model it is that the numbers won’t let their smoke out but they might make weird sounds happen.

Nope. It's likely proprietary info that helps FAS create its products the way it has thus far. And no, no relation to China. Cliff has already gone out on a limb saying dynamic response. If we want to be even on the same playing field as Cliff, we'd better bone up on our engineering and physics. Cliff didn't get to the pros without doing his homework first.
The "ancient Chinese secret" is in humorous reference to an old TV commercial...a reference Cliff has jokingly used himself. He was not talking about an actual Chinese secret. 🙄

But i think that if i measure freq. Resp. from two real Deluxe reverb i have deviations, due tolerancies and so on..
Axe Is the copy of one amp. Accurate yes, but normal as need to be

Hmmm, interesting. So you believe tolerances can account for 6dB of difference. You realize 6dB is TWICE the amplitude, right?
I was pointing only on the curve shape.
And i din' t know the amp model of the counterpart, if i was involved in programming. Only my own.

Here's another:

This is a Deluxe Reverb vs. the Axe-Fx:
View attachment 130158

And here's the other modeler vs. the amp:
View attachment 130161

Green and violet traces are the amp.

On the Axe-Fx I set the Speaker Impedance to LB-2 UK. Here's same test but using the Deluxe Reverb impedance curve:
The amp is still using the load box. You can see the impedance has a noticeable effect on the response but not that dramatic.
View attachment 130163
are the differences “likely” to be attributed to the load the amp was modelled with? In one new modelling device it’s not clear how much of the impedance interactions are being handled with the cabs/IR section (which I find baffling).

I’ve noticed many plugins seem to be modelled with funky behaving load boxes rather than appropriate cabs (or even better, adjustable behaviours).

are the differences “likely” to be attributed to the load the amp was modelled with? In one new modelling device it’s not clear how much of the impedance interactions are being handled with the cabs/IR section (which I find baffling).

I’ve noticed many plugins seem to be modelled with funky behaving load boxes rather than appropriate cabs (or even better, adjustable behaviours).
I don't know. You can't (or at least shouldn't) do impedance interaction in the cab/IR sections since IRs are linear and the impedance interaction is a nonlinear process.

Hmmm, interesting. So you believe tolerances can account for 6dB of difference. You realize 6dB is TWICE the amplitude, right?
BOOM! Can't touch this.!
cant touch this music video GIF

Back
Top Bottom