Admins? Should I buy fracpad or wait for tempo feature?

JrBean

Can an admin or someone in the know say whether the "tempo in set list" feature request might be a near term reality, or if it's not happening any time soon?

I am considering purchasing fracpad and using it's songs and sets feature, which allows tempo per song, but I don't want to spend money on it and then find out on a "Firmware Friday" that I could have waited a month or two and had that capability natively through the fractal unit.

I hope the above question doesn't come across as pushy. I appreciate what a great unit and software the axe fx iii and axe edit are, regardless of whether there is ever another update ever again. It's already Fantastic! I am just looking for information so I can make a more informed decision. Thanks!

I believe Admin M@ has said that all memory allocated to the setlist feature has been used, so no further features can be added to it.

As a possible workaround you can create copies of your preset(s) with different tempos saved and pull those up through the setlist.

I believe Admin M@ has said that all memory allocated to the setlist feature has been used, so no further features can be added to it.

As a possible workaround you can create copies of your preset(s) with different tempos saved and pull those up through the setlist.

Do you have a link to that? I recall seeing the opposite in wish list discussions, where an admin had indicated that it was a known request, and that memory had be reserved specifically to consider implementation of this feature at some point...

If the option is buy fracpad and get the feature now, why wait? I havent looked into it, is it that expensive?

If the option is buy fracpad and get the feature now, why wait? I havent looked into it, is it that expensive?
Not that expensive, but but it adds another level of complexity to gigs, adds more points of failure, and also makes it necessary to recreate my songs and sets within fracpad. So I'm willing to wait a bit if it's forthcoming, but also willing to spend the resources (time, money, and risk from added complexity) if that's the only way I'll have that option within a foreseeable future.

Cant import current settings to fracpad? I feel like that would be something incorporated for use cases like yours, but again pure speculation.

I guess decide how long you’re willing to wait. $45 up front to change back later sounds like a few string changes and an hour or three for setup time to me (not awful)?

Cant import current settings to fracpad? I feel like that would be something incorporated for use cases like yours, but again pure speculation.

I guess decide how long you’re willing to wait.
Good question. I plan to look into that if needed, but unfortunately, according to fracpad's facebook page moderator whom I messaged with, fracpad has no documentation available at all. That's one thing that concerns me also. I'd much rather put my trust in fractal.

No you can't, for a simple reason : FracPad setlists existed years before it appeared on the fasDevices
Thank you for that clarification! I appreciate your chiming in here! I will say that your implementation allowing for unlimited songs in a set is an enticing option. I can't imagine how much time you've put into the app, it's pretty amazing in many ways, but may be overkill for what I need except for this one feature.

Do you have a link to that? I recall seeing the opposite in wish list discussions, where an admin had indicated that it was a known request, and that memory had be reserved specifically to consider implementation of this feature at some point...

Yeah that was back in 2022, so it's possible it could still be added, but I would look elsewhere if you need a solution quickly. I don't think there's been any official word since then, but I could have missed it if there was.

If you're willing to bring an iPad to gigs, you might consider this app called Setlist Maker.

As the name implies, it makes setlists but you can send midi messages for every song in the set for automating patch changes and tempo.

I've been using it with my FM9 and it's fantastic.

Doesnt that defeat one of the main purposes of using the setlists feature - To avoid having multiple copies of presets that are the same but with a different tempo saved.

I just bought the FM9T mk Ii, coming from using the Helix for over 7 years live, and the setlist feature was one I was really looking foward to, as managing multiple presets that are all the same but with saved tempos. But seeing that the Setlist featire does not let you save a tempo makes it useless to me. It defeats the whole purpose IMO, as many live bands, including ours, use click tracks, so the tempo stays set. Kind of disappointed..

Doesnt that defeat one of the main purposes of using the setlists feature - To avoid having multiple copies of presets that are the same but with a different tempo saved.

I just bought the FM9T mk Ii, coming from using the Helix for over 7 years live, and the setlist feature was one I was really looking foward to, as managing multiple presets that are all the same but with saved tempos. But seeing that the Setlist featire does not let you save a tempo makes it useless to me. It defeats the whole purpose IMO, as many live bands, including ours, use click tracks, so the tempo stays set. Kind of disappointed..
Exactly. Those that don't play live and don't use the set list feature may not understand. I understand. It's not just that we're afraid to have more presets. It's that when you have multiple presets with the only thing different being the tempo, then when you need to make a change, you have x number of presets to change to keep them all in sync sounding the same.

I downloaded and looked at stagetraxx but I'm not a fan. I am hoping for an admin or the man himself to comment. I'm willing to wait a bit, but will go with fracpad as an alternative if it appears I must. Having it built in to the fractal software is much preferred.
Forum admins aren't the ones that would answer this in any official capacity.

Exactly. Those that don't play live and don't use the set list feature may not understand. I understand. It's not just that we're afraid to have more presets. It's that when you have multiple presets with the only thing different being the tempo, then when you need to make a change, you have x number of presets to change to keep them all in sync sounding the same.
Exactly - Preset management on the Helix is pretty bad, which is why I was really excited about this setlist feature, as its more of a Library link-based system. Our church plays different songs every week, and I had a handful of presets I used as templates, but was always fighting leveling. After playing I would have to go through and clean up stuff because now I have presets with little tweaks. For me the Tempo thing is causing me to rethink using this Setlist feature, as I still will need multiple copies - One for each song in a set.

Back
Top Bottom