Active/Passive Presence/Depth parameter behaviour

Active/Passive state of the Presence and Depth default to optimal value for selected Amp Type

• Total voters
Jay Mitchell said:
"Passive" here. Since it became the default, I haven't used "active" a single time. Because presence controls on a physical tube amp are in the negative feedback loop, they are, technically speaking, active tone-shaping devices. Presumably the "passive" mode models this real-world operation.

+1

For me, it made the control easier to wrap my head around and use.

Passive only here. I felt like the change to passive was a huge improvement for the amp block. I haven't used active since.

D

hey cliff, I know you mentioned you have revised the presence modeling in the upcoming firmware, maybe if you explain a little how it will differ some people who are fans of active might change there mind or vice versa. Either way i'll still be using passive.

Just to be clear.
I never advocated getting rid of the variable nature of this parameter.
All I wanted was to have it default to the default whenever the Type parameter of the Amp Block is changed.
Evidently the consensus is that this default should be Passive.

Getting rid of the other options was Cliff's idea, and while that wouldn't bother me personally it's hard to change stuff like this after the genie has been let out of the bottle. Someone will get pissed.

So all-in-all I still think it would just be best to have this parameter simply default to Passive whenever the Type parameter of the Amp Block is changed.

Either that or there could be a new Global parameter specifying the Presence and Depth behaviour, just like there is for the tone stack.

Well, the default should be "passive" and I believe that's what it is. If that's not the case then that would be a bug.

If the issue is that this setting doesn't revert to passive when you change the amp type, then I agree, it should behave the same way as the other advanced parameters, ie, it should revert to passive when you change amp type. I thought that was already the case, but if not it should be changed.

I don't think we need a global parameter, since there are maybe 4 people who are still using the old Depth for some reason.

In the meantime, the only reason it would have been changed away from default is if you (or the creator of the patch) had changed it, no? So if you just leave it on passive, it shouldn't ever change.

Back
Top Bottom