Acoustic Guitar IRs for the AFX ll - Has anyone done it successfully?

New to this. I have tried out some of these ir's in a basic patch I made (comp-peq-cab-rev) and while there are some subtle differences from the straight piezo sound, there is nothing that sounds like a true nylon, orch, taylor etc...
Am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong. Really hoping to get some of the acoustic sounds I have heard others get.

Using Music Man Axis (piezo) into studio monitors.

As always, Appreciate the input.

IMO, the only way to get a miked acoustic guitar tone is to mic an acoustic guitar. :)

I can get usably close with the right acoustic body "cab" and some EQ in front, but there's no getting around the fact that an under-saddle transducer is going to emphasize string tone—not body tone—just because it sits between the strings and the body. Processing the signal can only partially compensate for this.

The "real" sound of an acoustic guitar can only be heard or picked up a few feet from the guitar, where the sounds of the strings, the soundboard, the neck, and the back and side reflections come together.

Last edited:
The Aura Resonator/Fishman Pickup system does an amazing job of getting the natural sound of a resonator guitar. I've heard Jerry Douglas fill a stadium with it, and it sounds just like he sounds up close--which I've also heard. In the reso world the Aura is preferred for its sound even when a mic is practical. I don't know if the guitar products are as good.

So Rex, I'd have to say that I disagree with your comments (respectfully, of course). The Aura is built on the idea of capturing the transducer output and the mic output simultaneously, and building a model that can recreate what the mic heard when it sees the same signals from the transducer.

How do ya'll setup to use this? I just put it in my cab1 with a deluxe verb amp set as clean as possible. WOW!!!! Is that how ya'll setup these acoustic IRs? I'm using a agile electric with active pups, any help appreciated. I really want it to sound like THIS!!!!

For best results you will need a piezo pickup in your guitar. You could try approximating this with EQ, but its something I haven't tried. I'd also recommend against using amp sims. That patch is simply cab + enhancer + little bit of verb.

I have no experience amplifying a resonator. I trust your word that that the Aura does the job well.

I agree with you that the Aura is a great tool. The best results I've had so far involve a captured Aura dreadnought IR. It actually sounds pretty good, but you'd never mistake it for an unplugged acoustic guitar. I'm sure some of that is because of my own learning curve guiding the Axe into an acoustic tone. But I'm equally sure there's a reason that studio acoustic work usually involves an unplugged guitar and a mic. :)

Back
Top Bottom