Ac/Dc preset IDEAS, please help

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
So, I just had an unusual lower gain flashback. Normally I am for gain beyond control, but Im hoping someone could shed some light on a great all encompassing acdc tone. Which amp and which cab (frfr, fw 14). I can tweak the gain for their different sounds from early (lower of course) to more modern. Im shooting for hwy to hell/bnb era if that makes a huge diff. Here's what wiki says Young uses:

"Young mainly uses Marshall 1959 100 watt Super Lead Plexi heads and model 1960 AX and BX 4x12 cabinets with Celestion G12-65 speakers"

I know nothing about Marshalls so any advice helps, thanks.

PLEXI 100W HIGH (based on Marshall Super Lead 1959, 100w course there is this , lol, just found it scrolling through amp list in wiki, but still thoughts ideas cab choices or even other amps, thanks

I prefer the 50 watters for my ACDC tone. Either Plexi 50 treble or lately I've been really digging the 1987x- but I use it with the bright switch on. I usually play through a cab at home (1960A with Scumback M75 Blackbacks) but when I record I like the Scumback M75 IRs from Ownhammer.

Same here. 1987x (bright switch on) paired with cab #41 4x12 1960B V30. I think the main thing in the early sounds is finding a 4x12 IR with a SM57 in the right position. I think the rest is easier. Have you heard his tone on their last album? Awesome.

I have had great results using a single amp into 2 ultra res IRs of my JCM800 cabs hard panned blended with a centered tone match block. Any of the amp models that sound Marshally will work, but the tone match mixed with a usable live tone worked for me best.

I tone matched from "Let There Be Rock", as i found a nice isolated stem and I use it for "Sin City," and i play an LTD M1000 with EMG81 pickups.

Not a easy Job - to get an ACDC-Sound with the Axe.........

Especially the Malcom tone with less gain and lot of pressure........and his Gretsch Guitar......The Angus Ton will be easier.

I´ve done a tone match for Highway to hell with teh 1987x.........i´m looking for the link...........

I like all the suggestions, the atomica is cool, the 50 watt and 100 watt plexis; all sound close enough for me!

I think any of the marshalls with the volume and tone rolled back, bright switch on with the tone caps cranked(on the tone page of the amp block), gets a great angus crunch
ive been using the BRIT JM45 JUMP and BRIT SUPER a lot recently which are great, any plexi or brit 800 or 800 modded
theyll all get you ball park
not at my unit to be more accurate, cant remember the cabs i used
i also mix in a tone match now and again, which i done on overdose intro
i'll post it later tonight

I used the 1987x treble for awhile, then around FW 12 the tone changed and since migrated me to the Plexi 100. Everyone is right that they all get you in the ballpark. One of my bands plays TNT and I'm always messing with this tone. Haven't actually been satisfied with it for a bit now either. The FAS crunch is also definitely worth checking out. To me this sounds close to what the 1987x sounded like in FW 10-11.

I have a hard time NOT getting the AC/DC tone lol Seems every time I dial up a crunchy Marshall sound I end up jamming AC/DC tunes all afternoon. The 1987x model gets me there, as does the HBE model. I play it with a Les Paul not an SG (or Gretsch) though fwiw.

funny, not to offend, but we used to Joke that Malcolm wasnt even plugged in :roll:lol He looked like he was playing all sorts of strumming chords in videos, where there was like one guitar sound, and it was 1/8 the time of malcolm.

just a trick that for me works to get the Angus vibe.. is a slight amount of tremolo (fast 7000 or 8000, 40% or less deep) in a second row mixed 30 or 40% with the main tone.

Dr.Z Maz 38 with a BB Pre in front of it, closest I've gotten to that tone (Angus), Malcolm's Gretsch is a big part of his dirty but clear tone...

Back
Top Bottom