About to click "Buy" What is the top things I should know about the Axe FX II??

I've broken many strings from overuse in the last couple months since getting the II! Beware! :D Most things I buy, I usually have some buyers remorse, but I can only kick myself for not getting the II sooner.

Damn! I looked up those CFR12's and they are awesome! Thats my next investment :) Would I need only two for stereo or would I need 4 similar to a 4x12? Or is two plenty haha (by plenty i mean for a Live metal set, would need to be LOUD :))

Just got a sneak peek at the FRFR shoot out room at Axe Fest West, and heard the Matrix CFR12's with the 1000 power amp, and it's killer! The guys from Matrix are great guys too, which is a plus. Stay tuned for lots of posts from those attending Axe Fest West

Just got a sneak peek at the FRFR shoot out room at Axe Fest West, and heard the Matrix CFR12's with the 1000 power amp, and it's killer! The guys from Matrix are great guys too, which is a plus. Stay tuned for lots of posts from those attending Axe Fest West

I'm going to get the CFR12's for sure!

Be careful. It is a time machine, but does not say that on the label.
I don't believe Cliff will be unveiling its time machine capabilities till firmware version 10.0! ;)

One thing I would add to the list of "must haves" is a pair of studio reference monitors for dialing in your presets and bedroom level playing. Of course, an FRFR setup may suffice but you want to get an accurate, uncolored representation of your sound (especially if you intend to perform live and send your signal to FOH).

Also, it's a good idea to learn to navigate using the front panel as well as Axe-Edit (which is currently undergoing an overhaul).

There are a ton of great presets out there that are very useful as a jumping off point. Find some that sound good to you and explore the settings (what makes them tick and sound so good). Mark Day is one of my favorite preset gurus, but there are plenty more.

Be sure to sync and backup your settings in Axe-Edit from time to time. If you accidentally wipe anything out, you'll be covered.

Most importantly have fun and don't be afraid to mess with settings!

Enjoy!

You can try your Matrix amp with whatever you have. If you're running a guitar cab, turn off cab sims. (There's a global defeat option so you don't have to make separate patches for FRFR and guitar cab setups unless you want. If you have JBLs, try them and see what you like. Good FRFR will give you more options as the cabinet sound is an enormous part of the tone equation and using a guitar cab will limit the sounds. On the other hand, if you're going for a specific cab sound, you might be happy with just that.

Don't know much about the Roland controller. With Behringer and Uno as noted, you can have 5 patches and 5 IAs (effects on/off) per bank, plus 2 pedals assignable to whatever. I got one for $100 used and maybe $15 for Uno chip. It's not as sweet as some of the most costly options, but it's fine to learn with and you can always get your $ back out of it.

Thanks, I havent tried the JBLs yet but I have tried the Peavys and they are AWESOME haha I cant imagine the CFRs :)

Back
Top Bottom