About to click "Buy" What is the top things I should know about the Axe FX II??

Pestvic

Greetings everyone!

I just registered and man am I happy to be here! My name is Victor and i'm a new forum member. I am just about to purchase the Axe FX 2 in about 30 minutes to an hour (Still reading the forums haha, its distracting the purchase but well worth it and awesome!) and I just wanted to know what you guys think the best things to do or best fun to have first with the Axe fx 2? Or.. Even before fun, is there any specific order or firmware I need to install? Do I update my MFC pedal before the AFX2? etc.

I am currently reading through all the stickies and "Read me" forum section posts. So forgive my Newbie forum questions. I hope I don't stir up posts like "look through all the forums, its all there". I know its all there, I just haven't got to reading it yet and would just like some tips on where I should go/what I should read/what I should expect first, etc...

Anyway, thanks for the help guiding me the right way if you do end up providing some help. I really appreciate it!

Vic

Welcome Victor. In a word this is the best piece of kit I ever bought and many others on the forum would share that view.

It has incredible flexibility for studio, bedroom or live use. It is streets ahead in sound quality of anything else out there of its type.

You don't need an MFC to operate the Axe FX, though one would be useful for changing presets with the feet. Other midi foot controllers will work with it also.

Take a look in the manual which can be downloaded and read up on connections etc.

Fractal Support page

Or the wiki

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=New_users:_quick_start new users section

All the info is there.

Last edited:
Very cool! I was thinking of the Behringer FCB1010 as a pedal but I heard there was some problems with this one? I read that you have to get some sort of chip for it to be compatible? Is there any say about this?

From general knowledge a UNO chip for the Behringer, will allow you to select presets and Instant Access switches.

Here is another link to the EU distributors page with links to lots of Videos.

G66 - Videos

Welcome Victor,

It's "magic" might be the most important thing to known. Anyway if it happends to disappoint you, there is a money back garanty for some time and then you won't have mutch trouble selling it on the second hand market.

Actually the top things to know are :
- it works
- the support and the community is awsome
- it takes you places you've never been before - not true for everybody though :D

Regards,
Eric

Like any audio chain, your weakest link will determine your end result. You not only need to budget for the Axe Fx but also consider how you will be using it and what you will require for sound reproduction. To harness the full capacity of the Axe, you'll want to consider a FRFR speaker solution.

Finally, it takes time to learn. You have to enjoy tinkering and learning to fully maximize the ownership experience. If you have little to no patience and expect it to be as easy as an amplifier, you will have a frustrating time.

The sounds and options are limitless, its a great unit, but in the end, it gives you back what you put forth in effort.

Very awesome info guys!! Sorry for the "!!" I'm just super excited as I just ordered it like 2 minutes ago with 1 day shipping LOL. I am also going to order the "Matrix GT1000FX power amp" here shortly in like minutes :) GAH so stoked! Thanks for the video links.

Also, About the FRFR setup. If I wanted to do this live would buying these "Eminence Pro Delta A 400 watt speakers" (I think these are the FRFR speakers I read everyone loving in a FRFR thread) and putting them into the B52 cab work or sound good? Or should I focus on saving for any specific cab or box? Thanks again for the info guys :)

OH one last thing. I will be selling parts of my old rig to bring some of my play money back (maybe I can use this to get the eminence speakers) and I was wondering. I used to run a BBE 882i Sonic MAximizer... Will I need this with the new Setup I just got? Axe with Matrix power amp? Or should I sell this also and just run Straight Axe and Matrix?

Thanks again guys im learning a ton already!

Last edited:
Cool man good to know :) Looks like Ill be getting speakers! Anyone else on what FRFR speakers/setup/cab works best? Or at least what FRFR general setup is best for me to start and try?

Thanks everyone!

The current favorite FRFR us the RCF, at $1100 each.

Obviously to be in stereo you need two.

A top of the line Axe rig in stereo with MFC and expression pedals exceeds $5000.

Very cool! I was thinking of the Behringer FCB1010 as a pedal but I heard there was some problems with this one? I read that you have to get some sort of chip for it to be compatible? Is there any say about this?

The standard FCB1010 works fine with the Axe, however programming it to do anything other than basic patch changes is quite complicated.
To get the most out of it you should get the Uno chip and editing software. Costs less than $50 (I think) and allows you to set up stomp-box style on-off pedals as well as normal patch changes.

The Axe is an awesome unit, you won't regret it!:razz

damn! haha that is a hefty price. So those RCF Monitors would be what they use live? If anything I'd rather go the speakers in a cab route I read about. Is this a decent solution as well?

I thought about that FCB1010 and decided ill purchase this later. Im glad that you gave me the info though :) Thats awesome there is software for it.

So far current setup is:

JUST bought - Axe FX 2
JUST bought - Matrix GT1000FX power amp
and plan to run my existing - Roland FC-200 pedal :)

I hope no one thinks im just some guy who jumped on these forums and bought a ton out of no where lol. It took a LONG time to save up for this. I've been wanting this rig forever! I cant wait to start posting videos and such :)

If you are ordering the Matrix amp, check out the CFR12s also from Matrix.

The RCFs mentioned are powered so with those you would not need a power amp.

With the matrix amp, you have an option to use either passive FRFR such as the CFR12 mentioned or to use a traditional guitar cab.

Enjoy the new gear :D

oh wow really! I have a Crate cab with celestions and a B52 cab with whatever is in them (LOL). So you're saying because I got the Matrix amp, both these cabs will work and sound good? :) This will save me a bunch of money until I can save for new pieces. Thanks man :)

One other question guys, Since I thought about this monitor stuff to be used as live gear. If I used 2 JBL speakers VERy Similar to the "JBL JRX125" speakers. (except I think mine have the 12" speakers?) would these work because I have the Matrix amp?

Oh and I cant wait to enjoy the gear :) This forum rocks!

Damn! I looked up those CFR12's and they are awesome! Thats my next investment :) Would I need only two for stereo or would I need 4 similar to a 4x12? Or is two plenty haha (by plenty i mean for a Live metal set, would need to be LOUD :))

Last edited:
Damn! I looked up those CFR12's and they are awesome! Thats my next investment :) Would I need only two for stereo or would I need 4 similar to a 4x12? Or is two plenty haha

Two will be enough... believe me.

Most people in the room thought it was the 4 * 12 I was there that day.

Welcome to the forum! If you already have the Axe II coming, along with the Matrix amp, I would try out whatever speakers you have on hand and see what your ear tells you. Cliff uses JBL speakers when working with the Axe Fx (712M, I am pretty sure). Like Luke said above, take time to work toward the sound you want and you can make pretty much any tone you could want. The forums are a great place to get help, and you'll do yourself a huge favor to read the manual and bookmark the wiki... you'll use both of them a lot!

My number one thing is remember that you know what sounds good. Try not to get wrapped up in "what can i do to make it better". Have fun!

Thanks guys! I can't wait :) I rushed shipped it and will be here tomorrow morning! I'll make an Unboxing and first impressions video if you guys are interested in seeing it?

Just be ready for sore fingers and a lot of sleep deprivation....and you won't care one bit!

Back
Top Bottom