about to buy an axe fx 2 however......

some awesome replies here:) I always had compliments on our guitar tone with the axe fx standard...

@ ron i am more than happy to tweak the axe fx and spent hours doing this, however this distracted from writing time and time i could be making more use of.

I am touring next year so i may get a 2 and the wonderful matrixgt1000 to accompany it as it is a safe bet.

People were always really complimentary on our guitar tone at both venues and festivals so I have no doubt it can do the job.
Will it be better than the diezel herbert for thunderous gain and valve thick cleans Not a chance but is it a better touring solution YES!
The plastic attack is horrible and seems to be on only some high gain amp mdels.
I listen to periphery and threat signals new releases and that plastic attack is everywhere.
I hate it and want to know if it can be dialled out before i buy.

That "plastic attack" is representative of the genre. They dial it in that way on purpose. It's done by using lots of mid boost before the amp. This gives extra pick attack which helps the low-tuned guitars with thick strings cut through when playing those synchronized riffs with the kick drum.

Probably, you hear the sound of cab IRs - impulse responses. Imho they produce that plastic.

I play only via a power amp and a real cab, and for me pick attack was greatly improved in the 7 and 8 versions of the firmware. There is a COMP control in the preamp section and some internal changes. Also, the power amp simulation is better comparing to 5/6 versions. I used the JVM amp sim model maily and heard this evolution from the 6.0 version.

Still, there is a room for improvements. With COMP at 5% it is very close. I would describe such pick attack as a "rifle shot" with a bit of compression, sustain after the initial peak. Like the volume is immediately increased but is compressed at almost the same time.

Okay - I am going to approach this with kid gloves, because it seems everyone gets real hot under the collar when it comes to this topic.

I love my Axe-fx II. It is and incredible product and is probably the most essential piece of gear that I have in my recording set-up in my apartment. Without it, there is no way I could do what I do, because even with an iso box I'm sure the neighbors would be calling the cops on me every few minutes. Further, the tones that I get out of this thing are awesome, awesome, AWESOME! I'm more than happy with the quality of sound that I'm creating with this unit, especially after I compare my home recordings with bands that spent time in a studio recording full rigs, as well as my friends that have actual live recording environments. At first I was a little freaked out about going DI FRFR, but now that I have a good firm grasp of the unit AND how to dial in the right IRs for the job I'm not even close to looking back.

It's kind of ludicrous to say that because technology moves fast that the Axe-II will be obsolete. If a product does what you want and need it to, even if the next thing comes out, it still keeps doing wonderful things.

Are there differences between the Axe-fx II and tube amps? Here it comes... in my opinion, yes, especially when considering the recording environment. There are, from what I can tell, details that are different from let's say, a tube amp or combination of tube amps which were recorded in a ridiculously expensive recording studio.

If, let's say, money were not an issue, I'd probably be rocking a couple Diezels, a Rectifier, a Plexi or two (Friedman Naked and Brown Eye), a couple Fender Twin Reverbs, my 6505+, a SLO, Fortin Satan (just to name a few), and probably many, many more. I'd then run my small fortune of amps into a series of splitters that would go to all of the boutique true bypass effects pedals that would feed these various front ends and effects loops. Probably three amps at a time would be recorded, each with their own cabinets (which would consist of Mesas, Diezels, Bogner cabs, etc.) that each features a blend of pretty damn expensive dynamic and condenser microphones to record the signal - I mean, just one set of Royer R-121's are about $3,000 after tax and everything...

I'd run these into a pretty damn expensive recording console that features crazy Neve-style preamps and pulteq type EQs until I got the sound that I wanted blended together. Don't forget that these were also recorded in a fantastic space that was treated so as to capture all of the sonic details in my playing, and that each amp may have even had it's own isolated room going on... I'd maybe end up with something that sounds like the following two guitar tones that I haven't quite been able to access with my Axe-fx II:

Tool - Parabola (Guitar Instrumental) - YouTube

A Perfect Circle - Judith (Guitar Track) - YouTube

Keeping in mind, that the issues I may be having dialing in these tones might have more to do with you know... my rather new-ness to to dialing in tones with the Axe-fx II. So, perhaps there are differences in the guitar tones of let's say Adam Jones or Billy Howerdell, who both have a lot more money investment and space to devote to gear, and myself... I'd say I'm pretty damned happy with the tone that I am able to get ouf of my apartment.... recording direct in... via USB... into my Mac...

here's an interesting statement
and I couldn't agree more...

"It's kind of ludicrous to say that because technology moves fast that the Axe-II will be obsolete. If a product does what you want and need it to, even if the next thing comes out, it still keeps doing wonderful things."

interesting for two reasons I can think of..

1 - I got a Digitech 2120.. 90's technology.. I still love it..
ok so it's not as capable as the Axe, but it don't make it a bad piece of kit..
I still love playing through it

2 - there's a great many folk that are very serious about 'vintage'
guitars... stomps.... amps...
and the term vintage can add rather than negate the associated $$$$

irrespective of age...
good kit is exactly that.. it's good kit..

Not ludicrous guys, the digitech 2120 , the rocktron prophecy etc..
The value falls out the ass of tech products in the long run where as a amp from these periods will still hold the value.
Im 10 years time the axe 2 like the prophecy before it will be a bargain unit worth 300 quid.
My diezel herbert will be worth the same as it is now..
This is how it is and with tech always will be but.... Here is the rub i think i will get an axe again v soon :)
But i may keep the herbert too :)

Im 10 years time the axe 2 like the prophecy before it will be a bargain unit worth 300 quid.
I have to wonder about that...
Stuff that is sounding way above the rest may fare better (or retain value or better, like PCM70, Tri-Chorus units, ...)

Besides:
- it is a historic unit. I'm hoping G1 will get vintage and pricier eventually :D
- heaven forbid, Cliff may die at any moment :mrgreen

Some day, for some reason, ppl may want to enjoy Cliff's "baby steps" again in a G1 unit that has all code still written by him alone.

Last edited:
The value falls out the ass of tech products in the long run where as a amp from these periods will still hold the value.
My diezel herbert will be worth the same as it is now..
This is how it is and with tech always will be but.... Here is the rub i think i will get an axe again v soon :)
But i may keep the herbert too :)

one thing just occurred to me...
there's a difference between the Axe and the 2120 / Rocktron etc..

the Axe models existing kit, so in a sense it don't have a voice of it's own..
unless of course you consider the FAS variant amp models

the 2120 / Rocktron / Sansamp etc are what they are and absolutely have unique voices..
it's these voices that at some point in time may become desirable..

and likewise, some vintage stomps change hands for surprising amounts of money

Feelwise, I'm sure 99% would be perfectly wrong.
... why the maker of the VHT amps advises to use a tube preamp/buffer in front of a modeler, etc...

Concerning buffers, I have a Wampler SLOstortion, Clinch-Fx EP-Pre and EP+ in the effects chain chain feeding the Axe-Fx II and all of them sound awesome when on but I only use them to color the sound when I want them ... the Axe-Fx II is the perfect canvas. The EP+ is incredible sounding ... I need to post some clips ...

If you were looking at the Axe-fx II as an investment into resale value, I'd laugh my ass right off my torso. Unless it's a vintage synthesizer, there aren't too many sound creation electronics that hold value like a tube amp, and even vintage synths are a fad.

There is something to be said for analog. I'm an analog purist at heart. I had a room mate in college who insisted to me that sampled sound libraries would take over for live orchestras and chamber ensembles because the modeling would be so accurate in the future. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I just don't see it ever happening. Ever. Well, maybe with the oncoming quantum computing in the next few years. However... there's something about tubes, tape, the human factor, and the cooking that happens with analog circuits that creates a different sound than a digital rendition.

But I'm also flexible. I'd love to have a live drummer - and it's possible that a guy I know in Nashville will record drums for me once I've got the album worked out. But I am not going to rely on any drummer not flaking out, so I'm running SD 2.0 with a shit-ton of editing to make it sound as close to a live drummer as possible. It's the same reason I hold onto my Peavey 6505+, even though it's literally sitting in the corner and gets thoroughly dusted once a week. I'm not currently playing live, but I so badly want to keep it in case I ever jam with anybody in the next few years... It may be going sometime soon.

There is a point at which one reaches a diminishing return with analog equipment. It depends on what you're using it for, as it adds so many additional elements to the equation of musicality. In most people's situations, the costs associated with running an analog recording chain means using lesser equipment, resulting in lower quality recordings. In my situation, a completely analog recording set-up is unfeasible do to noise restrictions.

I almost bought a house with a bonus room that would have been great for recording live guitars, but I'd have invested about $3,000 in DIY acoustic paneling and my neighbors would have still likely wanted me quite dead. Even if I treated the hell out of it, it would have been likely that the equipment I could have afforded to do so would have provided me with a lower quality of home recording than my Axe-fx II. So it's an economy of means for a guy like myself. And I'm pretty damn sure I made the right decision.

I don't get it. If you a buy an amp and you get a newer version of it being released,do you still care to sell that amp and get the new one. Point is with the Axe FxII you get the authentic feel and sound if you put your time in to it. Not just that you get a ton of amps that you would need a huge fortune for to have in the first place. I don't see anyone losing anything. As far as authenticity of sound is concerned the II has already given that to us. So I'd much rather spend time playing then looking for the latest gear,I didn't buy the II until I saw the true need for it.

That's my take. Good luck :)

Concerning buffers, I have a Wampler SLOstortion, Clinch-Fx EP-Pre and EP+ in the effects chain chain feeding the Axe-Fx II and all of them sound awesome when on but I only use them to color the sound when I want them ... the Axe-Fx II is the perfect canvas. The EP+ is incredible sounding ... I need to post some clips ...

Based on Pete Thorn's EP demo, I'm pretty sure you can emulate the EP using either the FET Boost, Tape Dist or RC Booster models. As a matter of fact I'm using the FET myself to fatten up my clean tones.

i may well come back to it :) Just have to determine if i think the axe 2 is worth chopping in the grail of high gain amps for.....

I do have a diezel herbert paul yes so the point i made is correct.
I am not in to blind fanboy ism like views.
I am in to views of people that may have owned both etc....
Just because someone owns something does nor mean its the best :)
My blackmachine b2 some would call the grail of metal guitars i however prefer jaden rose approaches to this style of custom made guitars etc.

Hope this makes sense :)

)
in ten years, next month, tomorrow : i , and maybe you , may will be dead ..: enjoy life now.i enjoy life, my wife, my kids, my job, and my axe fx II.speculating is stupid.let that to the "golden boys" in wall street, take a gear , enjoy it and make music with it.what it will cost in ten years you don't care, what is important is what it brings to you NOW.end of story.

When the axe ii came out Fractal stopped offering the ultra which made it hold its value since you pretty much couldn't get either model. I was able to sell my ultra on Craigslist for 100 more than it was new. I'm sure this was just luck in getting that much. But if the 3 release is handled the same as the 2 then we should have no problem upgrading to the 3 for little or no money. You just have to worry about getting on the wait list ASAP if there is one.
My transition from the ultra to the 2 couldn't have been timed any better. The person picked up my ultra about 20 before the ups truck arrived with my 2.

One thing that bothers me about the updates and thought of a 3 coming out one day is that I'm constantly upgrading and having to redo my presets that I never really had a chance to dig in to the 2. If the 3 came out I would probably jump on it and upgrade but I feel like I'd just be better offer sticking with the 2 and then really using it to its full potential.

Just my opinions

Back
Top Bottom