A Little Experiment (which one is the Axe?)

Xavi Garci

Inspired
Here is a little experiment. I made 5 recordings with different amps? preamps? modellers? I have at home. Only one of them is the Axe. I used the same guitar, a Baja Telecaster (neck pickup) and the same IR (Redwire Bogner212_V30s-SM57-ConeEdge-2in, I used Poulin Lecab on Cubase). No effects, no reverb, no noise reduction, no post-processing of any kind.
I didn't try to make all the recordings to sound the same, I used almost default parameters on every recording. I did try to play exactly the same, though. Anyway, the tools I used for every recording are so different, it really shouldn't be very difficult to guess.
Two questions:
1- Which one is the Axe?
2- Which sound do you prefer?
Can you guess what I used for each recording?
Here is the link:

A little experiment by Xavi Garci on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Have fun! I think there will be some surprises.

I like #4 and #1 very much.

#5 sounded worst. It's just muffled and I'm pretty sure I can get that sound out of a Boss GT series pedal.

I don't know which is which but #5 is the one that sticks out as "not a real amp". Not saying that it's the Axe-Fx but still. :)

Here is a little experiment. I made 5 recordings with different amps? preamps? modellers? I have at home. Only one of them is the Axe. I used the same guitar, a Baja Telecaster (neck pickup) and the same IR (Redwire Bogner212_V30s-SM57-ConeEdge-2in, I used Poulin Lecab on Cubase). No effects, no reverb, no noise reduction, no post-processing of any kind.
I didn't try to make all the recordings to sound the same, I used almost default parameters on every recording. I did try to play exactly the same, though. Anyway, the tools I used for every recording are so different, it really shouldn't be very difficult to guess.
Two questions:
1- Which one is the Axe?
2- Which sound do you prefer?
Can you guess what I used for each recording?
Here is the link:

A little experiment by Xavi Garci on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Have fun! I think there will be some surprises.

I'm a little confused by the explanation. Are you saying that all of these clips are direct using a cab IR or are you saying that you used them on the direct tracks? ...so, in other words...there were no cabs being mic'ed?

I've been wanting to do an experiment like this for some time and just haven't.

thanks for doing this and I'll make my guess when I understand how this was done,
Steve

I liked #4, #1 was OK, but didn't care for any of the rest. I also believe #4 is the Axe Fx.

Low volume here - but like 4, 1 in that order. 2 & 3 sound 'overcooked' and 5 sounds muffled and lifeless.

Just preference in what I like... nothing more.

As far as preference, 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5, in that order. I'm not going to try to guess what made what, I'm really bad at that. It's like guessing a woman's age. All that matters is if she's hot or not. :)

I prefer #4. It has the best tonal balance IMO, along with good articulation even in the heavier passages. I'm certain of that one preference, but I didn't spend enough time with the others to be able to place them in order of preference.

I like #4 and #1 the best. Not sure which is the Axe-Fx, but I would assume it's one of those since they seemed to have the most dynamics.

I agree with the most opinions. The #4 have the best tone range and sounds full and brilliant, follwed by the #1. The others sounds a little flat.

Without reading past the original post, I loved #1, 3, and 4. Samples # 2 and 5 were too dark/warm for my tastes. They all sounded good. But, I enjoyed 1, 3, and 4 the most by far.

Back
Top Bottom