A good alternative To Matrix Amps?

I’ve used a Fryette Powerstation and a Quilter 202 with good results. Lots of people use Seymour Duncan Powerstage. Do a search. There are tons of threads on this.

I have the smaller Powerstage and it is plenty loud to cause hearing damage, keep up with a drummer and then some.

The bigger 700(?) watt unit is only a few db louder. I had a Matrix back in the day and I think the SD is just fine in comparison. I’m also not super picky about amps. Any decent amp is just that, an amp and should leave the processing to the other gear.

I’ve got an ISP Stealth Pro coming next week. 180W bridged into 8 ohm, weighs 1 lb.

Going to try it with my Mesa cabs, we’ll see how it goes.

The ART will fit in a shallow case because I have mine in a shallow case!
In another thread it was suggested that they may have reduced the size...

I had mine with my Axe Fx II, which is deep and the SLA-2 was deeper...

I barely fit in my deep rack.

Edit:

I think I may be mis-remembering a bit. I think the rack was a medium depth and part of the issue was the bana plug to 1/4" adapters.

Also, here's an older thread showing both Matrix and ART together for comparison:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/matrix-gt1000fx-vs-art-sla2.50574/

Last edited:
I have the powerstage 170 -class D. I just bought the Orange pedal baby- class AB IMHO there is a big difference in tone - The PS170 has a lot more bass - in a bad way, also high end is harsh - the pedal baby by far is more musical IMHO- class D is out for me.

Back
Top Bottom