A few words about live sound

Probably one of the most informational posts I've seen on this forum. Well spoken and very informative, Thanks!

Do you have any more tips for using the AXE live - that's going to be my main focus.

If you concentrate on the frequencies that the guitar sound is known for you will be headed in the right direction. Check out this frequency response chart for the Celestian Vintage 30 and keep it in mind when you're tweaking.

Best post ever. I could never understand the logic of using a 20-20,000Hz range on a cab that is supposed to act like a cab with a 70-5000Hz response.

Great discussion! Some of this was also covered in another thread here but very nice to hear what some of the very big artists are seeing/doing as well.

I especially like the proximity parameter to simulate the mic capsule compression at loud volume. Adding "air" as Angus states in Micheal French's TSO video is not the "Air" parameter but rather removing the speaker from your inner ear using the Room parameter. Keep a moderate size to avoid any delay and try the room level around 18% to 22%.

Interesting concept and extremely impressive that the technology is so advanced that it can simulate this to be actually recognized through IEMs on-stage.

Thank you for the information Zaemo!!

I view the cab sound as an integral part of the sound rather than an FX block to change the "mood" of the guitar sound. I haven't spent any time on the new room verbs yet though. Reverb is difficult in a live setting because it never seems to translate very well in venues that change every day. Most larger venues have reverb that can't be controlled so it's easy to have a patch with reverb just get lost in the mix. I will use reverb however as part of a multi-effect patch.
The updated Room Reverb (Reverb block), at default settings, also works great to put the guitar in a space.
For this purpose, I prefer it to the Room params in the Cab block. If you can spare the toll on CPU.

For me, the low-mid "growl" that you get is focused in the 250 Hz area. You'll have to use your ears but I've found that between 1 and 2 on the level is enough to get the effect without getting in the way. It's fairly broad as it affects a wide range of frequencies so 200-250 Hz should do it.
Thanks Chad. Just reposting trancegodz question about proximity?

Chad,

Thanks for the informative post, and follow-ups. Great to get the feedback (not that feedback, haha).

Cheers,

Lee

how hi cut only down to 14/15 k? I have always gone down to 6. What would I gain by going up that high?

It's awesome that you've taken the time to share your experience with us Chad, THANKS!

I'm just a weekend warrior these days playing small bars, 100 - 300 people usually so it's cool to hear how you guys deal with things on the Area level in this digital age.

how hi cut only down to 14/15 k? I have always gone down to 6. What would I gain by going up that high?

I'm having a hard time comprehending that too. Feel like most FOH guys would find it harsh and have to cut on there part. Interesting. I mean as a guitarist I would think we are prone to liking the tone more without the cutoffs but not for FOH.

I'm having a hard time comprehending that too. Feel like most FOH guys would find it harsh and have to cut on there part. Interesting. I mean as a guitarist I would think we are prone to liking the tone more without the cutoffs but not for FOH.

The way I arrived to cutting down to 6 was from an article I read interviewing 5 FOH engineers. All of them said that to have the guitar sit where it belongs they high cut o around 6 and low cut any where from 100 and up. a few said 120 works well so I stuck with that. My tone is always mix ready and FOH guys love me. I am very curios what the benifits of the higher cut does. Keeping in mind that I have never chased the in the room sound I always chased the killer mixed FOH tone

I've done a lot of testing with isolation cabs. The big thing that happens is that the mic distorts, especially when using an SM57. This adds some crispness to the high end and some compression. I've found that I can duplicate that effect very closely by using the FET I preamp type in the Cab block and turning the Drive up until the desired compression is achieved. I set Sat to zero.

I've done a lot of testing with isolation cabs. The big thing that happens is that the mic distorts, especially when using an SM57. This adds some crispness to the high end and some compression. I've found that I can duplicate that effect very closely by using the FET I preamp type in the Cab block and turning the Drive up until the desired compression is achieved. I set Sat to zero.

Wiki worthy :)

Back
Top Bottom