A Drop C guitar pitched to Gb(F#) in real time.

Clawfinger

Experienced
The sound was the same when I recorded it. Had to play it loud so I couldn't hear the strings. ;)

With that low tuning, it turned out a bit Meshuggah (the band and the Yiddish meaning). Note the plucked chord disharmony and the artifacts. Or, the non existent artifacts. We (Clawfinger the band) use this technique Live. We have three tunings(Drop D, Drop C and Drop A) and we bring two guitars (Drop D and Drop A, baritone) and pitch down the drop D to C. Piece of cake, sounds perfect.

It's as usual, Superior 2.0, Steinberger bass through my SVT preset, and it's the EMG85 equipped Futura EX.

http://www.falstudios.com/Junk/drop_C_to_drop_Gb.mp3

Oh yeah, it's an intro with an Ebow/Speakerphone guitar, so you don't crank it too loud. ;)

:shock: M G !

Seriously that's some heavy shit. I'm considering downtuning 3 semitones with the Axe pitch shifter for one song too. Didn't recieved my Axe yet though. Would you mind sharing your patch for this ?

No more floppy strings!!! :twisted:

Dude that was Meshuggah. (The Yiddish meaning, that is.)

I love that fact that it sounds so natural. If you hadn't told me it was detuned in the Axe-FX, I would not have known.

Where in the signal chain do you put the pitch block?

Guitar-Tiz said:

I love that fact that it sounds so natural. If you hadn't told me it was detuned in the Axe-FX, I would not have known.

Pitch block is first or second after the "homemade" Expression block (volume controlled by envelope).

Yes, indeed, Meshuggah (not Yiddish) anno 1999 or so. It's freakish how far ahead these guys are. ;)

Clawfinger said:
Guitar-Tiz said:

Pitch block is first or second after the "homemade" Expression block (volume controlled by envelope).

Yes, indeed, Meshuggah (not Yiddish) anno 1999 or so. It's freakish how far ahead these guys are. ;)

Awesome, as a someone who likes to tune low, but hates floppy string (and the fact that the intonation won't go out that far on my LP) I know will use the ever loving crap out off the pitch block, especially if I can get it to sound that natural.

Guitar-Tiz said:
Awesome, as a someone who likes to tune low, but hates floppy string (and the fact that the intonation won't go out that far on my LP) I know will use the ever loving crap out off the pitch block, especially if I can get it to sound that natural.

Palm mutes are the hardest parts though, but in subsonic tunings, it's not really working too well anyway. ;)

Clawfinger said:
Guitar-Tiz said:

Palm mutes are the hardest parts though, but in subsonic tunings, it's not really working too well anyway. ;)

Yeah, when I tune down to C on my LP I try to avoid palm mutes of multiple strings if I can.

Singles come out OK, and doubles strings CAN be OK if executed properly, but any more than that and it flubby-undefined-mud.

Hmmm, weird. I haven't listened to this yet (moved computer around and speakers aren't hooked up in here yet), but from everyone's comments here and on the sneap forum it seems like it sounds great still. That's weird to me though. I couldn't get it sounding natural when I tried to tune 3 semitones (1 and 1/2 steps) down... it didn't track very well for some reason, but you are going farther than that and it seems you didn't have any problem?

Could you post the patch on axechange so I could check how you set up the patch?

:shock: :eek:

I seriously want an Axe fx after hearing this........Must.....save.....money.......for....an.....Ultra...

Well, I listened to it..... it definitely sounds awesome, and doesn't sound like it's being pitch shifted. I'm going to have to try this out again. I only need to pitch down 2 semitones to get to Gb... (I play a 7 string tuned to Drop Ab)

EDIT: I think when I tried this before I was playing through a poweramp and 4x12.... maybe that had something to do with it, I dunno....

JoshuaLogan said:
EDIT: I think when I tried this before I was playing through a poweramp and 4x12.... maybe that had something to do with it, I dunno....

Hmmm.

Makes me wonder. Please do report back fully on this one.

Along with 2 Atomic FR's for live, and home use, I was planning on getting a low cost power-amp to use with my ancient 1960A as a backup for when I have to use a public practice space, (and don't want my more expensive stuff stolen) but with that said, I don't know. I may have to get a cheap ass sub $400 all-in-one PA's or something.

JoshuaLogan said:
Well, I listened to it..... it definitely sounds awesome, and doesn't sound like it's being pitch shifted. I'm going to have to try this out again. I only need to pitch down 2 semitones to get to Gb... (I play a 7 string tuned to Drop Ab)

Pitch block type: "Fixed Harm", page 2, "Master Pitch" modifier: pedal of choice. Scroll down to the last two lines: "Pitch Track: on" and "Track adjust: 0.00"

That's it.
JemmX said:
Excellent !! :cool:

Thanks!

Clawfinger said:
Pitch block type: "Fixed Harm", page 2, "Master Pitch" modifier: pedal of choice. Scroll down to the last two lines: "Pitch Track: on" and "Track adjust: 0.00"

That's it.

Thanks!

Do you bring the mix up to 100 % ?

man thats soo sick. what is your homemade volume filter you have? could you post this patch? that would be soooooooooooo amazing of you if you could

Back
Top Bottom