9VAC, 9VDC Multicore cable and dsub25 connectors

monkjunior

Hi Guys,
just a question i am building my new pedal board/switcher etc and am thinking about using a multicore with dsub25pin connectors so it is a 1 connection for setup as opposed to building an interface and having to plug multiple plugs in.... and am wondering if its ok to run the the 9vac and 9vdc through the pins on the connectors.... ie obviously the 9vac running through the cable from the axe for my GCP and would be running DC through another set of pins for a tuner and looper on the pedalboard... each is not going to be more than say 600mA for the 9VAC (GCP) and probably only 200-300mA adaptor for the DC (the tuner and looper) (akai headrush) they will only probably draw maybe 100mA
Does this make sense???

thoughts ????
no signal stuff will be sent through it just midi, the power, and i guess control data from the pedal1/2 on the axe and an expression pedal from my Digitech vocalist pro....

cheers

the multicore is mogami 2493 8channel cable...
didnt think that that a extra low voltage ac would cause that induce anything large enought to affect a midi / control signal.......hmmmmm....
welll i have ordered the cables will see what happens i guess.......
i was more concerned about whether the pin contacts of a db25 would handle the current ....??? most of these dsub25's are rated at 5 amps right???

This is my first post to the FAS forum. I have been following it for some time and as of recently am a proud owner and avid user of an axe-fx standard.

This topic really sparked my interest as I have built my own rack/pedalboard interface and snake using d-sub connectors and later switched to military connectors.

The answer to all of your questions is yes, it will work just fine. I had 9vac, 9vdc, 12vdc, and audio and midi lines connected through a mogami snake and had no problems after I wired it correctly. I, at first, had problems with zipper noize in my midi lines, Mario at Axess electronics helped me pin point the problem since I had just bought an fx-1 and first assaulted him with questions about problems with his product before I really did any troubleshooting. Oh well, so I was big headed, but I learned. The problem was in my breakout box on my pedalboard. I had the 12vac line to close to my midi jack in side the box. After switching this particular wire to a shielded one within the box all problems were solved.

That is until I had connected and disconnected the d-sub connectors about 15 to 20 times. The d-sub connector is actually quite a flimsy connector and breaks down quickly. My suggestion is look on E-bay, like I did, and get a good deal on some military connectors. Retail they are way too expensive, but I was able to get two sets of matching male and female Amphenol connectors for about $40.00, retail they probably would have cost about $200.00. I have been using the same snake now for 4 years with absolutely no problems.

hey shaun,
thanks dude....
cool will look out for some of those connectors i guess the main thing is i will be able to get going and and no be overly concerned i kinda figured it would be ok given the the pin size on din conncetors etc etc...
like i said this will at lease get me going and then i can change up and sell the multitude of gear that i have so i can recoup some costs ha ha... my cables should be here next week and my case and stuff on monday so all things being considered am hoping to be good to go late next week...
thanks for your response
dave

Hi Dave, I highly suggest that you shrink tube right over each and every pin. It will help keep those fine wires from snapping off and making connections you don't want, ie: power wires shorting to midi.

Back
Top Bottom