8.0 - I get it now.

shemihazazel

Fractal Fanatic
So I was bitching a couple days ago about how my presets sounded all harsh and lacked low end after updating to 8.0, plus some weirdness with high-pitched ringing in the background when switching amp models.

The latter has to be Axe-Edit. I don't know what kept it working through 7.0, but it's officially hosed for me in 8.0 (crosses fingers for re-written Axe-Edit soon)

The former I tracked down to the Definition and Depth controls. After lowering the definition a bit where I'd had it boosted, and raising the depth control a bit, all is right with the world again. In fact, everything sounds FANTASTIC. I could string along a list of expletives and hyperbole for you, but suffice it to say that while I lost faith for a minute there, I was rewarded many times over by putting in the work.

Nice that you did. So many people just give up without even trying. I've been really happy with the 8 firmware. I was playing bass with the pitch shifter this morning and it sounded awesome. The tuner is working WAY better as well for bass.

Did you try the amps at default settings before turning definition up etc? I honestly think that's a common "mistake" - new firmware, reset the amp but then put all the knobs back to where you had it before anyway!

Haha I used to do that but now I reset and play my amps for at least 5 minutes before changing anything. I always have to adjust fewer advanced parameters with every firmware update, as long as I adjust with my ears and not my eyes.

+1 I think Axe Edit might be hosing the presence multiplier too. I wonder if that was causing my impression of the 'amp fighting me' feeling. You need to check the multiplier on the AxeFX.

So I was bitching a couple days ago about how my presets sounded all harsh and lacked low end after updating to 8.0, plus some weirdness with high-pitched ringing in the background when switching amp models.

The latter has to be Axe-Edit. I don't know what kept it working through 7.0, but it's officially hosed for me in 8.0 (crosses fingers for re-written Axe-Edit soon)

The former I tracked down to the Definition and Depth controls. After lowering the definition a bit where I'd had it boosted, and raising the depth control a bit, all is right with the world again. In fact, everything sounds FANTASTIC. I could string along a list of expletives and hyperbole for you, but suffice it to say that while I lost faith for a minute there, I was rewarded many times over by putting in the work.

Dudes, I literally have seen on axe edit, my patches change before my eyes, levels go back and forth (knobs that is) after touching them. Its crazy it's like ghosts are controlling my editor and laughing at me. AGREED OFFICIALLY TOTALLY INSANELY FRICKINGLY HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSED.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am of the impression that about 90% of the problems people post on here are directly related to the use of Axe Edit. It's a great concept, but it's so persnickety I won't even touch it other than to load in IRs. Even then, you have to really make sure it did it right. Go figure. I know that before I stopped using AE I would literally click on a block, then click back to the other block and it would have completely changed my settings. The impedance curve would dramatically change the tone stacks on the amps. It was just crazy. If it's ever up and running I will delightfully go back to using it. But until then, it's front panel for me!

The truth is having no axe edit for a little while at least will force the majority of the user base to learn the axe interface. This is completely necessary unless Fractal starts releasing firmware and software at the exact same time moving forward.

There was no axe edit when many of us began with a Standard or Ultra and most of the veterans don't complain when axe edit takes three days (or more) to come out after firmware release.

I think the firmware link needs some sort of click-through to force the user to recognize that axe-edit will not work properly at this time.

This will all work itself out as the fractal team is redoing Axe Edit. They are building it in a way that should help them roll out updates quickly.

I don't think that is axe edit, because I never use axe edit to create presets...only to update and then I turn it off. I have that same ringing in presets that I made in 8.01 using a tone match block. Initially it is not there, until after I switch from Y to X and then back to Y. After updating to 8.01A and making a TM preset that high fizz isn't there but the preset becomes louder after switching from Y to X to Y. Cliff told me to send my preset to support which I will be doing as soon as I can. I just wanted to point out that, I agree Axe-Edit causes a ton of problems but it might not be the only cause. Of course, Im sure Fractal will fix everything quickly.

I don't think that is axe edit, because I never use axe edit to create presets...only to update and then I turn it off. I have that same ringing in presets that I made in 8.01 using a tone match block. Initially it is not there, until after I switch from Y to X and then back to Y. After updating to 8.01A and making a TM preset that high fizz isn't there but the preset becomes louder after switching from Y to X to Y. Cliff told me to send my preset to support which I will be doing as soon as I can. I just wanted to point out that, I agree Axe-Edit causes a ton of problems but it might not be the only cause. Of course, Im sure Fractal will fix everything quickly.

Trust me, it's Axe-Edit. Once I stopped using it, the ringing and all the other strange problems went away.

Nice that you did. So many people just give up without even trying. I've been really happy with the 8 firmware. I was playing bass with the pitch shifter this morning and it sounded awesome. The tuner is working WAY better as well for bass.

And the corollary is that playing guitar and pitch shifting it down to bass works great now as well.

Axe edit is a nightmare for me! The concept is great and I REALLLLLLYYYYY want it to work because it makes life that much easier, but it seems to freak out constantly and I have had great patches simply disappear on me! I saved a copy of a preset I was working on to another slot in axe edit and somehow both the newly saved preset and the original preset had changed drastically. Very frustrating in the studio when your working with an artist on axe edit trying to get a good tone and all of a sudden axe edit crashes and the patch you spent time tweaking is straight up gone! Now I do almost everything on the unit itself which takes much more time but is at least reliable. :(

Now now. We've already talked about Axe-Edit. Let's not have a bash fest. It won't help get the work done any more quickly. On that note... I was told we'd possibly have a testing build tonight!

When this testing build is finished, will it be released only to beta testers or to everyone?

Back
Top Bottom