I am sure after 13 pages of posts that someone has stated this, but you don't have to be a great player to be a great writer.

Drives me crazy:
1- Neil Young (needs a healthy dose of phenobarbital to calm his seizures)
2- Ynglish Malmstoned (barf... billions of notes, zero soul)
3- Pete Townsend (ok writer, but bowling for A chords? - cheezo)
4- Slash (sorry GnR fans, but the fuzzy top-hatted cartoon guy is all gimmick and completely over-rated)
5- Dweezil Zappa (nope, don't "get" his octave schtick at all)
6- George Lynch (Lynch Mob? Seriously?)
7- Kirk Hammbone (Metaligarage)

(Wish I had the historical opportunity to be on some of your lists. I'm sure I would have been! lol It's all good.)

This thread just points out that yes we are from different parts of the world and our world view might be based on someone elses dislikes, but know that, the influences that you take in as your own, will always be slanted with your own take on it.

Whooooaaaaa! Wait a minute here. Are you insinuating the world DOESN"T revolve around me? Somebody get me a Prozac! :eek:

I forgot to mention Andy McKee and Robert Fripp suck

Fripp is boring

and If you see Mckee play for 5 seconds you've seen it all- also i think guitars should be used to write songs

I honestly can't think of a single guitarist who sucks. I don't enjoy listening to the speed-metal guys, but my subjective tastes are irrelevant to their ability. I get annoyed by non-musicians who seem to think Slash is regarded as "the greatest ever". But that's not a dislike of Slash, just a dislike of the marketing.

Actually, I just thought of one. In 1988 I saw David Lee Roth on tour with Steve Vai and Poison opened. Their guitarist (CC DeVille?) attempted one of those "guitar superhero, "only person on the stage" solos. It was like watching an 8th grader who has learned a blues scale and think's he's just awesome as a result.

Are you shitting me?
Absolutely not.

I am 56 years old, not a kid, and have been listening and playing for 46 years - how well do you know his playing? I am not knocking his contribution, we all know all of that, but as a player I really wanted him to play without the delay and reverb. Ever listen to the Chester and Lester stuff? It is so easy to hear the difference between Chet and Les when they traded off. He was trying to be a jazz player but his syrupy tone was pigeon holing him into a Lawrence Welk schmaltz kind of thing. If there is a recording that you think is even in the neighborhood of Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Wes, or Jim Hall then let me know the name and I will be glad to listen with an open mind. I love to hear new people that I can get excited about. I bought a few albums years ago and never played them again, and I am a big fan of many of his contemporaries.

Joe

Sarcasm, or a great deal of "old-fartism" amongst our FAS community ;)

I'd hate to be misunderstood here. Saying I didn't think Slash could be described as looking silly was a comment on the word 'silly' - which I fully accept was off-topic for which I apologise. He obviously does look silly, but there's a lot more to it than that.

7 Paul Stanley "boring, either sing right or play guitar right"
6 Kurt Cobain "It was the drugs talking" all songs are 3 chords and way to simple, to many repeat lyrics riffs etc.
5 Kirk Hammeet "minor pentatonic blues to death"
4 Dave Mustaine "minor pentatonic blues to death, as well as bad attitude / full of himself"
3 The Edge U2 "this guy has been playing the same 4 effect soaked chords since the 80s" so overrated
2 ANY 80s hair band guitarists who were more worried about their look than their sound
1 "Any of the so called New Progressive guitarists that refuse to play (cancel the show) without a ProTools session playing backing tracks and click tracks in everyone's head. that's not metal. That's charging people money to watch you rehearse.
There. My Fake Hate is out, LOL[/B]

Kind of an infuriating thread.. I thought that i found an adult forum about a revolutionary piece of gear that welcomed all styles of guitarists and could be used in all genres and skill levels. I guess not. Some of you guys sound like complete idiots. Go back to MySpace..
I'm gone.

What a bunch of bull - as all of you all starts trash other players. Larry Carlton? Are you frickin serious. Lost a lot of respect for someone with this thread.

These type of threads do NOT belong on a serious musicians forum sponsored by the greatest guitar HW as of late.

Yup, childish, my dad can beat up your dad.

Real poor taste

Ha. Another zombie thread. You guys seem to be taking this pretty seriously. :D Seems to me like people are still trying measure music. I think 90% of people in here can kill Kirk Hammet in a guitar battle but it wouldn't mean anything. He's making a living with his music and has already influenced music evolution in many ways. This thread is was an obvious troll IMO but for those who didn't take is as one, it's really easy to dislike people when you're on the internet. But seriously if you were in the same room with Clapton would you say ignorant sh... stuff like that to him? No way. :lol

1) Eric Clapton: he brought black music to popular white middle class consciousness, and got a lot of people started playing guitar, whichis a GREAT contribution to music history, but he's never played a note that has surprised me in the least. Yes, the most overrated guitarist of all time.
2) Mike McCready of Pearl jam - most of his solos just plain blow. Noodle city.
3) Buckethead - wheedly wheedly wheedly...
4) Yngwie - Wheedly, Ego, Wheedly, Ego...
5) Steve Vai - Wheedly, 'guitar melisma melodramatics', wheedly, EGO, EGO, EGO...
6) Satch - Ditto, ditto, ditto
7) Ritchie Blackmore, or Ace Frehley, or Tommy Iommi, take yer pick.

Back
Top Bottom