~500$ in-ear recommendation

Cem

Experienced
I'm planning to turn to in-ear. But haven't tried them, and I don't think i will have chance to try. I want it to be wireless if possible, and I also planning to get guitar to wireless, so maybe their wireless can work together??

Can you enlighten me about this a bit? My purpose is, without carrying my atomic or something monitor, but not being dependent on the venue's monitor.

500 $ is USA price btw, I live in Europe but who cares, i will ask my friend to bring :)

Westone UM3x. Around $400. IMHO, you won't find better until you get to the $700-800 range.

So how is it going to work when I get them? Only the Earphones themselves enough? Or do i need some wireless thingy?

There are 3 things at play in your original post:

In Ear monitors: these are the buds. Basically, they work just like regular old earbuds, but WAY better. A person could write a dissertation on just this piece alone. The suggestions posted above (Westone, 1964, etc...) are in ear monitors.

Wireless Transmitter: this sends the signal from the AUX channel on the board to a belt pack that you plug the in ear monitors into. Various brands use different frequencies and have varying quality, range, etc...

Guitar wireless: This works like the in ear wireless, but in the opposite direction. It sends your guitar signal into your rig, replacing your standard cable. You cannot combine this with your in ears using a single unit.

I'm planning to turn to in-ear. But haven't tried them, and I don't think i will have chance to try. I want it to be wireless if possible, and I also planning to get guitar to wireless, so maybe their wireless can work together??

Can you enlighten me about this a bit? My purpose is, without carrying my atomic or something monitor, but not being dependent on the venue's monitor.

500 $ is USA price btw, I live in Europe but who cares, i will ask my friend to bring :)

To do IEM correctly you need three things.

1) The earpieces. The actual things you stick into your ear. Get custom molded ones... they fit better and sound better because of that. These go from $200 to $2000

2) Something to feed sound to #1. Usually this is a wireless system with a transmitter and a body pack with a volume knob on it. Common brands are Sennheiser and Shure. A transmitter and body pack are usually around $600-$800 each.

3) A way to send you a mix for #2 to send. This can be an aux on the mixer.... all the way up to a dedicated monitor mixer with an engineer running it. You will need to include everything that you want to hear to be able to play.... not just your own guitar. If you can't hear the rest of the band how will you play along properly? This can be cheap (free?) if you're using auxes from a mixer that you already have access to. OR the sky is the limit for touring acts using high end monitor boards.

My band carries its own monitor rig with a digital mixing board and the transmitters all in a rolling rack along with our own split snake. All stage inputs go into our snake first. The snake's stage box has two outputs. One goes to our mixer. The other goes to the house PA. We adjust our own IEM mixes without affecting the house mix at all. (every member gets their own custom mix in their ears)

JH Audio or Alienears... I have Alienears, they are okay, you do the mold yourself so you save 50$... The fit is good if you follow the directions closeley.

I've actually been looking into getting some in-ears myself. As everyone else has pointed out, 1964 is a good option. I also was looking at JHAudio (a little more expensive).

Regarding wireless, there's also another option to consider. Check this out (link). It's basically a mini snake that caries your guitar and headphone signal together. The body pack just clips on your belt.

ixmcable.jpg

Unless you also have guitar wireless, there's really no point in getting headphone wireless. You'll spend all that money and still have one cable. Plus you'd have to spend a ton to get a wireless unit that matched the hard-wired sound quality.

I've actually been looking into getting some in-ears myself. As everyone else has pointed out, 1964 is a good option. I also was looking at JHAudio (a little more expensive).

Regarding wireless, there's also another option to consider. Check this out (link). It's basically a mini snake that caries your guitar and headphone signal together. The body pack just clips on your belt.

ixmcable.jpg

Unless you also have guitar wireless, there's really no point in getting headphone wireless. You'll spend all that money and still have one cable. Plus you'd have to spend a ton to get a wireless unit that matched the hard-wired sound quality.

I used this system for two years, and absolutely loved it - exactly what Rane said, mainly the sound was perfect as it was hard wired. I found I didn't need a wireless as I wasn't jogging laps around the room, so this was perfect, I used in-ears and my guitar cable!

I actually bought a second system to use as a backup and never ended up using it if anyone wants to buy it, I'd gladly sell it for a reasonable and less than new price, even though it's mint! Send me a message!

To do IEM correctly you need three things.

1) The earpieces. The actual things you stick into your ear. Get custom molded ones... they fit better and sound better because of that. These go from $200 to $2000

2) Something to feed sound to #1. Usually this is a wireless system with a transmitter and a body pack with a volume knob on it. Common brands are Sennheiser and Shure. A transmitter and body pack are usually around $600-$800 each.

3) A way to send you a mix for #2 to send. This can be an aux on the mixer.... all the way up to a dedicated monitor mixer with an engineer running it. You will need to include everything that you want to hear to be able to play.... not just your own guitar. If you can't hear the rest of the band how will you play along properly? This can be cheap (free?) if you're using auxes from a mixer that you already have access to. OR the sky is the limit for touring acts using high end monitor boards.

My band carries its own monitor rig with a digital mixing board and the transmitters all in a rolling rack along with our own split snake. All stage inputs go into our snake first. The snake's stage box has two outputs. One goes to our mixer. The other goes to the house PA. We adjust our own IEM mixes without affecting the house mix at all. (every member gets their own custom mix in their ears)

Best deals for those #1, 2, 3 then? :)

Thank you guys for this thread. This is something that I've become interested in lately but I'm too much of a cheap @$$ to get some.

1964 is taking the #1 for now.

How about #2 and #3?

Recommended options for #2 and #3

#2) You could use a headphone amp and a long cord. There was a solution posted earlier that combines that with your guitar cord. The danger here is that straight headphone amps do not have any protection built in to protect your hearing from and sudden loud sounds. If something feeds back, or some drunk guy grabs a mic and screams into it etc.... There is no limiter to kick in and stop it from damaging your hearing.... Possibly permanently.

Real IEM systems for live performance have limiters built in to protect hearing.

I use sennheiser G2 systems.... these are seen on stages everywhere because they work well. Shure also makes a few models that are good. I'm wary of some of the cheaper options (Carvin etc)

#3) To put together a rig like ours you'll need a mixer that can do a mix for each member separately. We use a Yamaha O1V96. We used an original O1V before that. We like these because when you push the aux buttons, the faders jump to that mix and you can adjust from there. We labeled each aux button with a band members name.... push that button, it lights up, it's easy to know whats happening with that mix. These go used from about $400 for the original O1V to about $1500 for the O1V96.

You could also use any mixer that can do enough mixes. A&H Mixwizard is a pretty good analog choice (6 auxes, plus a main mix) We use one of these in our practice space.

You'll also need a split snake

We use this Poor Man's Splitter Snakes

House audio guys tend to love us because we just hand them the end of the snake tail that's already labeled. They plug it into their rig (usually their own snake box) and sound check takes half a song. The monitors are always exactly the same for us. It sounds the same every night. We park the mixer rack onstage near the drums and any band member can walk over punch up his aux button and adjust his own mix. (we rarely change anything though)

Recommended options for #2 and #3

#2) You could use a headphone amp and a long cord. There was a solution posted earlier that combines that with your guitar cord. The danger here is that straight headphone amps do not have any protection built in to protect your hearing from and sudden loud sounds. If something feeds back, or some drunk guy grabs a mic and screams into it etc.... There is no limiter to kick in and stop it from damaging your hearing.... Possibly permanently.

Real IEM systems for live performance have limiters built in to protect hearing.

I use sennheiser G2 systems.... these are seen on stages everywhere because they work well. Shure also makes a few models that are good. I'm wary of some of the cheaper options (Carvin etc)

#3) To put together a rig like ours you'll need a mixer that can do a mix for each member separately. We use a Yamaha O1V96. We used an original O1V before that. We like these because when you push the aux buttons, the faders jump to that mix and you can adjust from there. We labeled each aux button with a band members name.... push that button, it lights up, it's easy to know whats happening with that mix. These go used from about $400 for the original O1V to about $1500 for the O1V96.

You could also use any mixer that can do enough mixes. A&H Mixwizard is a pretty good analog choice (6 auxes, plus a main mix) We use one of these in our practice space.

You'll also need a split snake

We use this Poor Man's Splitter Snakes

House audio guys tend to love us because we just hand them the end of the snake tail that's already labeled. They plug it into their rig (usually their own snake box) and sound check takes half a song. The monitors are always exactly the same for us. It sounds the same every night. We park the mixer rack onstage near the drums and any band member can walk over punch up his aux button and adjust his own mix. (we rarely change anything though)

Actually probably I'm the only one who is getting in-ears yet. So I will probably give my monitor to Sound guy and lead him for my mix.

I have used the carvin em-900 for going on 3 years, not one issue, very good on batteries, bought the g3 sennheiser just to compare, and sent it packing.. was much noiser than the carvin. Bought my son a system... my singer uses one too. Singer has the 1964 triple drivers and loves them... I have the fidelity custom triples and they have been great for about 2-3 years now.

Back
Top Bottom