4CM with the Axe-Fx II and two Mesa Boogie MKV's in stereo

skracus

Inspired
So far so good. When I started I had the same hiss/ white noise people have talked about but after adjusting the pads and input settings as well as backing the gain back a little on channel two and three of the MKV I'm getting very good useable results. Turning the instrument input level up so that I blink the red light almost every time I strike a note or chord seemed to help with the overall noise floor. It's at about 77.6% now where it had been at 73-74%. So far I have been at a moderate volume not quite what I would use at rehearsal or a gig but plenty loud in the studio room all the way to ear splitting volume. Still some hiss but with the gate I'm not apprehensive about gigging like this at all. I do miss being able to use the Output 1 knob as an overall volume knob in a pinch as I did with the Ultra but not that big an issue. The Master Volumes on the MKV's are close enough just two knobs to twist instead of one.

I started with the 4CM example patch and added a gate after the fx loop block and disabled the gate on the overall patch. I love the fact that I can create a patch without the fx loop or bypass it and use an amp sim and boom the MKV becomes an even more versatile amp than before. Pretty incredible.

I should note that I am using a humbuster cable on every 1/4 output from the Axe-Fx and normal cables going to the Input 2 L & R inputs. I didn't bother trying it without the humbuster cables. Seemed pointless considering the design intent.

IMG_4549.jpg

All for now...

Steve

So far so good. When I started I had the same hiss/ white noise people have talked about but after adjusting the pads and input settings as well as backing the gain back a little on channel two and three of the MKV I'm getting very good useable results. Turning the instrument input level up so that I blink the red light almost every time I strike a note or chord seemed to help with the overall noise floor. It's at about 77.6% now where it had been at 73-74%. So far I have been at a moderate volume not quite what I would use at rehearsal or a gig but plenty loud in the studio room all the way to ear splitting volume. Still some hiss but with the gate I'm not apprehensive about gigging like this at all. I do miss being able to use the Output 1 knob as an overall volume knob in a pinch as I did with the Ultra but not that big an issue. The Master Volumes on the MKV's are close enough just two knobs to twist instead of one.

I started with the 4CM example patch and added a gate after the fx loop block and disabled the gate on the overall patch. I love the fact that I can create a patch without the fx loop or bypass it and use an amp sim and boom the MKV becomes an even more versatile amp than before. Pretty incredible.

I should note that I am using a humbuster cable on every 1/4 output from the Axe-Fx and normal cables going to the Input 2 L & R inputs. I didn't bother trying it without the humbuster cables. Seemed pointless considering the design intent.

View attachment 6138

All for now...

Steve

try it again with I/O (audio page) - Output 1 (and/or 2) Boost/Pad settings and Global Gain settings for out 1/2 - for me a solution 4CM with (one) MkIV

Back
Top Bottom