44.1 to 48

qjawz

Inspired
Hey guys,
So I've been looking to buy some orchestral samples for myself. I'm finishing up my composition degree and some of my music production classes went over nyquist but to be honest I still have a hard time understanding it. From what I do understand is there are bad frequencies that tend to show up because of up sampling. Long story short....I use Logic and I'm looking at vienna symphonic library which are 44.1....do you think the algorithms in logic are good enough to cause no aliasing or remove them per se without audio degradation?

I'm trying to make a quick decision because they have an academic discount that ends on the 10th...

Cheers

Without a long drawn out discussion about sample rate differences that 99.9% of human habitation can't discern I would say go for it if you like the samples. It has to be taken in context for ex: good samples at 44.1 will smoke mediocre samples at 48.

Hi,

I am a long time VSL user, and run VI Pro at 48khz all the time. It sounds fantastic. I wouldn't worry about the sample rate - aliasing only occurrs when you apply processing to the samples, e.g. compression.
When I finally get to relasing an album, for the finished product I will probably create a stem track of the orchestra alone at 44.1, another stem of audio at 48, then convert to 96khz with a high quality SRC for the final track (I'm using iZotope, there are other good ones such as Weiss). You can then apply any processing at 96khz or even higher if you want with added oversampling to minimise aliasing, and then have a nice high sample rate for mastering, too. You can also use plugins with oversampling that minimise aliasing, at the expense of increased CPU. It doesn't matter which DAW you use as far as aliasing is concerned.

All this stuff though is just me being pedantic for a final delivery of a recording. In practical day to day composing, aliasing is not really an issue if you are just using a sampler such as VI Pro. It's certainly important for any synthesised virtual instrument though, or FX plugins.

Btw I highly recommend Dimension Strings and MIR Pro. These are absolutely the best VSL products - I have become so reliant on them. I can't believe how good these can sound, and the versatility they provide is mind blowing.

Another advantage of using lower sample rates is CPU efficiency. If Dimension Strings was sampled at 96k my computer would explode.

Last edited:
Thank you so much both of you. You have calmed my anxiety. lol :D

Good thing dimension strings apart of the package I'm getting. The only thing suplemental is the mir Pro and the VI pro player.

Thanks again cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom