4 cable method volume boost

pmercado

HI I just got the Axe Fx 2 and I'm using it in 4 cable method with my triaxis and 2:90 the front output knobs are set to full for unity gain, but when I use it in this mode I get a volume boost it only happens when the fx loop block is active any recommendations would be appreciated thanks

Check all your levels inside the axe. Chances are you've got a level bump somewhere like the level if the FXL block. Or maybe the output 2 level in your global settings.

Are you adding a parallel path anywhere? When you double your signal via parallel path with a "thru" output, you will add db's to your signal.

Volume boost compared to what? Another preset with an amp block, or bypassing the FX Loop in that preset? In any case, just turn down the FX Loop level knob. Think of it like an amp block in this preset. You can either control level with that knob, or by adjusting the Triaxis output level.

Volume boost compared to bypassing the fx loop lowering the fx loop level did not do much

How much did you lower it by? Did you use the level knob by the balance control at the right portion of Axe-Edit's edit page? Not the row level knobs or main level slider; those are pre-send.

There's no reason to try to make the engaged level as low as bypassed, but that's how you'd do it. With FXL bypassed and no amp block, the output level will only be like plugging the guitar directly into your power amp input, unless you're boosting level in other blocks. Try bypassing an amp block in a preset with no FX Loop and you'll get the same result.

when I lowered the level of the fx loop it lowers the signal going to the triaxis which won't work I guess Im going to have lo live with it

Which level knob did you lower? I'm referring to the one on the 2nd page of the FX Loop if you're editing via front panel. That controls level after input 2 and doesn't change the level sent to whatever is in the loop.

As I mentioned before, there's no reason to make the FXL level when engaged equal to that when it's bypassed. The Triaxis is putting out a louder signal than you send to it. An amp block in the grid typically does too, unless you turn its level way down.

You're getting a volume boost because the Triaxis has gain and is putting out a louder signal (as Bakerman said). The "Mix" page of the FX Loop allows you to adjust the volume of the FX Return. Keep the "Send" page at defaults and turn Output 2 Level knob on the front panel to maximum. Then use the Level knob on the Mix page to adjust the return volume.

Btw, setting 100% mix delays in parallel to "Mute FX In" is not the correct behaviour you want. You want to select "Mute In" in order to not get a volume boost when the delays are bypassed.
The "Mute FX In" setting will just prevent any signals to be processed. However, when the block is bypassed, it will still let the dry signal through.
The way you use it right now, if you have both delays bypassed, you will have a 6dB increase in level.

Besides, you don't need hardpanned mono delays. There's a stereo delay for that.

Btw, setting 100% mix delays in parallel to "Mute FX In" is not the correct behaviour you want. You want to select "Mute In" in order to not get a volume boost when the delays are bypassed.
The "Mute FX In" setting will just prevent any signals to be processed. However, when the block is bypassed, it will still let the dry signal through.

When mix is 100%, Mute FX In does the same thing as Mute In. It doesn't let any dry signal through.

Back
Top Bottom