Cliff, Tri-stereo chorus figured out?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I was looking from some old HRI posts and found one where Cliff said he got the Tri-stereo chorus figured out. Is it possible to get some insights into how the unit actually works, so one can try and copy it with Quad-chorus block ?

And before somebody mentions it, I already have (and use) Enzos version of it ;)

I could be totally wrong here, but IIRC, Enzo build his patch from recordings and circuit drawings (?), but never compared it right next to a real one (correct me if I'm wrong, Enzo ;) ). The problem is that very few people have one. There are a couple of guys on HRI, but to my knowledge none of them has tried to dial it in on the Axe. Makes sense though, if I had a real one you can guess which one I'd use ;) .

The real Tri is very simple from the outside, but very complex inside and there are three different versions as well. Still, if anyone had it side by side, I'm sure the Ultra could get close with the QC block...

VegaBaby said:
I could be totally wrong here, but IIRC, Enzo build his patch from recordings and circuit drawings (?), but never compared it right next to a real one (correct me if I'm wrong, Enzo ;) ). The problem is that very few people have one. There are a couple of guys on HRI, but to my knowledge none of them has tried to dial it in on the Axe. Makes sense though, if I had a real one you can guess which one I'd use ;) .

The real Tri is very simple from the outside, but very complex inside and there are three different versions as well. Still, if anyone had it side by side, I'm sure the Ultra could get close with the QC block...

Its on my wish list for collection. That and a mutron biphase.

javajunkie said:
VegaBaby said:

Its on my wish list for collection. That and a mutron biphase.
There's a Tri on eBay right now...If you're willing to pay more for it than an Axe...Go for it ;) !

Why would anyone bid on something this cool before the last 10 seconds, just driving the price up... More than an Ultra already. Sheesh... :roll:

VegaBaby said:

Yes you are almost right.. a couple of HRI´s members sent me recordings of the real thing upon my request. They played exactly what I asked them. First dry then thru the TRI. I processed their dry clips thru the AXE Quad Chorus to match their wet clips.. I analized the waveforms. Made extensive research on the TRI thing. It was a long work.. At the end we were very satisfied with the results. I was told many times my patch is very close to the real thing. Even more after Cliff added the Hicut parameter on the advanced page (set it to 8078 Hz).
Too bad the real problem about the TRI is to find a producer that wants to ear it on today´s music.. try to turn it on during a recording session and you´ll sure see some strange faces :oops:

Enzo Sutera said:
VegaBaby said:

Yes you are almost right.. a couple of HRI´s members sent me recordings of the real thing upon my request. They played exactly what I asked them. First dry then thru the TRI. I processed their dry clips thru the AXE Quad Chorus to match their wet clips.. I analized the waveforms. Made extensive research on the TRI thing. It was a long work.. At the end we were very satisfied with the results. I was told more times my patch is very close to the real thing. Even more after Cliff added the Hicut parameter on the advanced page (set it to 8078 Hz).

Cool, I didn't know you actuallt researched the unit from a technological point of view. Can you share some info? :)

Enzo Sutera said:
VegaBaby said:

Yes you are almost right.. a couple of HRI´s members sent me recordings of the real thing upon my request. They played exactly what I asked them. First dry then thru the TRI. I processed their dry clips thru the AXE Quad Chorus to match their wet clips.. I analized the waveforms. Made extensive research on the TRI thing. It was a long work.. At the end we were very satisfied with the results. I was told many times my patch is very close to the real thing. Even more after Cliff added the Hicut parameter on the advanced page (set it to 8078 Hz).
Too bad the real problem about the TRI is to find a producer that wants to ear it on today´s music.. try to turn it on during a recording session and you´ll sure see some strange faces :oops:
Ahh...thanks for clearing that up ! Didn't know you had wet/dry sugnals etc... That's as good as reamping :D . Never said I didn't like your settings, in fact, I think it's awesome !

Enzo Sutera said:
.. a couple of HRI´s members sent me recordings of the real thing upon my request. They played exactly what I asked them. First dry then thru the TRI. I processed their dry clips thru the AXE Quad Chorus to match their wet clips.. I analized the waveforms. Made extensive research on the TRI thing.
I've got a quick question for you... It's been a long time since I had a chance to play a real one and never listened as closely as now, but on your settings, when playing palm muted stuff, the LFO cycle reaches that point where there's a very audible kind of almost 'slapback delay' for a couple of seconds (more pronounced than on any other Chorus I know), did the real one do that as well ?

VegaBaby said:
Enzo Sutera said:
.. a couple of HRI´s members sent me recordings of the real thing upon my request. They played exactly what I asked them. First dry then thru the TRI. I processed their dry clips thru the AXE Quad Chorus to match their wet clips.. I analized the waveforms. Made extensive research on the TRI thing.
I've got a quick question for you... It's been a long time since I had a chance to play a real one and never listened as closely as now, but on your settings, when playing palm muted stuff, the LFO cycle reaches that point where there's a very audible kind of almost 'slapback delay' for a couple of seconds (more pronounced than on any other Chorus I know), did the real one do that as well ?

I know what you mean.. this happens on the slow rate setting. I think it´s a bug inside the quad block. If you listen carefully this "slapback delay" effect disappears some seconds after you send the CC to change the chorus speed from fast to slow. I noted this from day one but it didnt bother me much since it happens on the slow rate setting only (that I rarely use) and goes anyway away.. at least on my unit. It could be that the block is somewhat overloaded having to deal with 4 CC´s at the same time.

I always wondered about that too. I've never heard that in any recordings of the Tri-stereo. It's because in the preset, the rate is extremely slow unless you activate the virtual "Rate jack" (it's down to 0.025hz for chorus 3 and 4), also there is no minimum delay time. When the rate jack is on, the rate is 3.02Hz for chorus 1 and 2, and 0.302hz for 3 and 4, and the minimum delay time is around 7.5ms.

Enzo Sutera said:
VegaBaby said:
[quote="Enzo Sutera":2rawhide]

I know what you mean.. this happens on the slow rate setting. I think it´s a bug inside the quad block. If you listen carefully this "slapback delay" effect disappears some seconds after you send the CC to change the chorus speed from fast to slow. I noted this from day one but it didnt bother me much since it happens on the slow rate setting only (that I rarely use) and goes anyway away.. at least on my unit. It could be that the block is somewhat overloaded having to deal with 4 CC´s at the same time.[/quote:2rawhide]
Yeah...I didn't remember that from my Tri memories or any other Chorus I have (SPX90, MIJ CE-2, MIJ Arion etc...).

The thing is, I removed all modifiers and made two settings out of it (rate on / off) and the slow one still has the slapback thing going which can be really annoying if you do palm-muted singlestring lines... It's not always there, that's why I said it's when the LFO reaches a certain point, it kinda sweeps throught the 'slpaback' bit and then goes into the normal beautiful bit again. Maybe Cliff knows what's up with that ???

Enzo Sutera said:
VegaBaby said:
Maybe Cliff knows what's up with that ???

It would be great if he could comment on this preset. I dont know if he has ever looked at it..
Cliff ... ! Help ... ! We need some Tri beautifulness !!! I'm sure once it's perfect some of us could provide some clips and win over some more HRI members as potential new customers :cool:

VegaBaby said:
Enzo Sutera said:
VegaBaby said:
Maybe Cliff knows what's up with that ???

It would be great if he could comment on this preset. I dont know if he has ever looked at it..
Cliff ... ! Help ... ! We need some Tri beautifulness !!! I'm sure once it's perfect some of us could provide some clips and win over some more HRI members as potential new customers :cool:

Look up a couple of posts to my post where I explain why the slapback happens.

tonygtr said:
I always wondered about that too. I've never heard that in any recordings of the Tri-stereo. It's because in the preset, the rate is extremely slow unless you activate the virtual "Rate jack" (it's down to 0.025hz for chorus 3 and 4), also there is no minimum delay time. When the rate jack is on, the rate is 3.02Hz for chorus 1 and 2, and 0.302hz for 3 and 4, and the minimum delay time is around 7.5ms.
So, are you saying that it's kind of a 'user error' to use a delay time this low and the block is not made to 'work' with minimum delay times like here ? I guess if you increased the delay time a bit you could get rid of the 'slapback' (haven't tried it yet), but then again, that would affect the overall tone and would move us further away from sounding like a Tri again... :?

VegaBaby said:
tonygtr said:
So, are you saying that it's kind of a 'user error' to use a delay time this low and the block is not made to 'work' with minimum delay times like here ? I guess if you increased the delay time a bit you could get rid of the 'slapback' (haven't tried it yet), but then again, that would affect the overall tone and would move us further away from sounding like a Tri again... :?

It's more down to the rate. The rate is just too slow for 2 of the delay lines. I think that when it is that slow, we don't percive it as much as a chorus effect (with the pitch going up and down and it being part of the original signal), but just a moving delay with changing delay time, which goes from being equal to the dry signal (because we have no minimum delay time in the chorus), to a slapback.

Also, every chorus unit that I know of, that you can't control the delay time on, have some minimum delay time. Usually, they are between 5-15ms. Personally, I don't think the rate jack on the Tri would change the minimum delay time. From the statements and user descriptions I've gathered, it only changes the rate. I've also added the manual at the end.

The Sound Quality of the Tri Stereo Chorus is amazing, no other unit
can even touch the sound of the chorus this unit produces. Its like
liquid, very thick. It features on the front panel 4 knobs, 3 of them
are to control the 3 chorus's left, center, Right the 4th knob is for
the rate. There are 5 push bottons also on the front a db pad button,
a Effect on and off button, a Stereo Button and a Manual button and
also a preset button. The preset button cancels the knobs and gives
the unit it preset capibilty. The manual button turns the knobs back
on and you can make your own sounds with the 3 chorus's and the rate
knob. Also there are two huge LED meters on the front, they are
yellow. This chorus was and still is the main chorus for session
players like, Michael landau, Paul Pesco, Dann Huff, Tim Pierce etc..
and is used in countless studios and has been heard on many many
records over the years. No other chorus unit comes close.

The setup is a Left, Middle and Right LFO and the Rate control. But
there
are some knob that I think is the key. The Knob are Manual and Preset.
When you press the preset, I think it react to some of the circuit
inside
that make the unit 3 dimensional.

The Left, Middle and Right LFO really works it wonders by creating
different envelope in either side (+middle) . Also in my unit the all
the
LFO knob can be pull-out to create some kind of "enhancer" effect for
the
corresponding LFO.

Let me describe what the function of all this knob (it's a push knob):
From the far Left
- 20 Peak switch (for line and instrument switch)
Effect bypass knob
Chorus or Flanger mode (Chorus if pressed)
LFO Mode: Preset and Manual.
This is a very strange control. When the preset is engage, the effect
is
more 3-D ish.
Manual means that you can control the Rate control function. If the
manual
was not engage, the Rate will be very minimal (Subtle). The other
strange
this is that the Preset and the manual are both usually engage if you
want
a very 3-D ish and great effect.

Left, Middle and Right (min to max) Chorus Wave control. I don't think
this control function as a depth control but more of a waveform
shaper. If
you hook the system in stereo, you can actualy hear the Left side (if
only
left side being tweaked), Middle and Right.

The last one is a Rate control (Slow to fast) to control the 3 wave
control. Also noted that the 3 Wave control can be pulled (like push
pull
function in an Amp) that work sort of like BBE Maximizer (only
better !!)
for the corresponding Wave (i.e. if you pull the Left Wave form, the
only
effect will only be the left - I can actually hear the difference).

The last two row are the Output LED meter.

In the rear of the unit you have one input and 2 (L & R) output Jack
with
the choice of either Balance or Unbalance.

The last 2 footswitchable control are Bypass and Rate jack.

The Rate jack has an interesting function. When plug with a
footswitch,
this jack will control the front panel Rate control. Example, if you
set
the Rate control at 2 o'clock, when you hit the footswitch the unit
will
"creep" from very slow to your setting ( 2 O'clock) and go back again.
This function is a much debated function, even the creator (Chuck
Monte -
President and CEO of the long diminish Dyno My Piano company) that I
have
the opportunity to talk back in 1987, are puzzle on how people use the
function. Paul Pesco (Madonna, Hall and Oates & Jeniffer Lopez) and
early
days of Michael Landau likes to use this function (they even put it on
their Bradshaw loop), while Steve Lukather and Lee Ritenour did not
use it
(I've seen all of this people rack).
all 3 models of the tri sound different at certain rates too and on
some models the rate jack in the back makes the unit come alive.
------------------------------------------------------------------
(new post talking about recreating the Tri in an Eventide unit)

The front has a DB pad switch
effect on and off button
Stereo, mono button
preset button
manual button
the 3 knobs are for chorus wave form left , right and center and then
some models have an exciter function where there are push pull knobs
that really make the chorus come alive

and then there is the rate jack

its 3 chorus units in one box.

All you need is to get a chorus to wobble alot and your there for
that really landau sound from the late 80's."

This is some stuff I got from very kind folks, willing to help me in
this project.

I have builded two different versions of the "DynoMyPiano" unit:
the first one included more advanced control features, that the
original unit didn't have: the ability to store 10 different tweaks,
like presets.
The second one is the final version, that will be in the V3.0 public
release. This one is closer to the unit, without the control stuff.
The design is a group of parallel microdelays, each one being
modulated by 3 different M_UCURVE modules (Unipolar Mapping for mod
signals ) that create triangular/sine and square waves. I had to
come up with a system to progressively blend these curves, as the
original unit had this cool feature. This is one of the most
interesting sonic aspects of the Dyno unit.
The 3 chorus lines are panned respectively L-C-R.
Next cool feature to reproduce was the knobs pull-outs! Kind of an
Haas fx...so I had to add 6 more microdelays, with indipendent Lfos,
VERY slowly modulating them, w/on-off switches, named L/C/R
spreads...which really do miracles in creating different combos of
psycho-acustic panning tricks.
Next was the adding of a preset amount of feedback (as in the
original box) that could produce flanging, replicating the fx type
control (chorus OR flanging).
Tricky enough was the replica of the mono/stereo choice! With so many
delays, I had to come up with a decent sonic way to collapse
everything in mono...as the original unit allowed that!
It was basically a lot of search, testing, compare...work!
...and a terrific fun!

AND HERE'S THE MANUAL

The Dytronics CS 5 Tri Stereo Chorus / Splitter incorporates multiple waveforms utilizing variable arhythmic cycles to create hundreds of dedicated chorus effects. Multiple layering of up to six waveforms simultaneously and at random, will allow the musician/ recording engineer to duplicate any existing chorus effect imaginable as well as create new chorus colors in Full Tri Stereo.

1. Manual LFO The Manual LFO Selector permits individiual control of three distinctly different waveforms of chorus intensities 1 (left) , intensity 2 ( Center Stereo) and Intenstity 3 (Right).

2.Intensity Controls 2, 3, 4

Each of these intensity control knobs pull out to select Choral Exicter ON. All 3 exciters enhance only the high frequency of there individual chorused effect. These Choral Exciters will emulate a crisp, crystaline choral effects which are great for vocal, guitar and keyboard tracks.

3. Rate Control

One rate control variably selects the overall speed of the 3 manual intensities. A delayed response causes a gradual increase or decrease of the 3 chorus speeds- even after your fingers have left the dial- for a simulated rotating speaker effect.

4. Preset LFO

The preset LFO selector injects a side chain circuit of Tri Stereo Chorus that may be mixed simuilaneously with the manual intensities, generating up to six waveforms and speeds! This unique feature is comparable to having two units in one!

5. Chorus Mode

The Chorus mode when selected in stereo, automatically varies the phase relationship of the left and right outputs in accordance with the rate.

6. The Effect On / off will select chorus active pressing effect on. Effect intensities are actively mixed to the dry signal. Note> No mix or level controls are needed.

1987 copyright KTI

tonygtr said:

On the slow rate setting the delay time for each chorus is 1.00 ms. This is the lowest allowed value inside the Quad Chorus. To my knowledge this happens on the real TRI as well in a way the minimum delay time increases when the rate jack is active. This makes the chorus wider and adds space.
It was a long time ago that I programmed this preset.. maybe it´s time to recheck it. I´ll look at it this week when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom