2290 delay/CPU issue/Bug

I'm starting to wonder if you meant "MIDI message" wherever you wrote sysex...
nope, those are all sysex...i am not using midi CCs at all with the GT16 and Axe Fx. GT16 is already pre programmed for Axe Fx and the basic functions (on off, preset, scene, channel selection, tap tempo, tuner, looper etc etc) work already via sysex and not midi “CC”ies

Midi CC page on my axe fx is blank, since i don't need them.

correction after @unix-guy's message: i mean sysex messages but i understood your message as if you ment midi CC messages, which you did not.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are bypassing modifiers altogether to edit patch parameters via sysex and the question of modifier CPU usage is unrelated?
Or are you actually using modifiers and changing patch parameters via CC rather than via sysex?
It's not unrelated, i am still using modifiers also. Expression pedals need to be assigned as modifiers to parameters. And once you exceed certain number of modifiers there are issues.

I know it can be confusing. I use sysex in conjunction with modifiers/external controllers.

1) sysex lets you control stuff which you actually can not! Stuff that you can not assign a modifier.

Go in the pitch block/arpeggiator, and try to choose/change the scale/mode from Dorian to Phrygian with your midi controller or fc6/12....you can not cause those are not modifier assignable. With sysex and GT16 it's possible...i can choose any scale i want regardless of whats saved in the block.

2) Also i still control some modifier attachable parameters via sysex...this gives me way more than 32 modifiers. But also not as much as expected.

Like you would need to assign a modifier to boost, cut etc in amp block. With the GT and sysex, i don't need to. This makes also preset building easier, since i don't need to worry about bunch of parameters and modifiers when i build a new preset...sysex works across the board for all presets.

Last edited:
work already via sysex and not midi.
Probably you mean "midi CCs" because sysex is midi...
1) sysex lets you control stuff which you actually can not! Stuff that you can not assign a modifier.
There's a reason why some stuff doesn't allow attaching modifiers.

One of those being that changes to those parameters while playing can lead to artifacts like crackles, etc. Further, some can lead to increased CPU while being adjusted.

Either or both may be contributing to your issue.

Probably you mean "midi CCs" because sysex is midi...

There's a reason why some stuff doesn't allow attaching modifiers.

One of those being that changes to those parameters while playing can lead to artifacts like crackles, etc. Further, some can lead to increased CPU while being adjusted.

Either or both may be contributing to your issue.
i understood it as if he ment midi CC messages. Hence i stated i don't use midi CCs. And yes i am sending midi messages but once that are system exclusive to Axe FX 3 via GT16

The crackles in my case are fully related to modifier count and CPU...cause once i get below an "unkown" level with both, the crackles stop. As Cliff wrote and as i experienced, its hard to tell what those numbers are. No set rules.

Like today i was getting those crackles, when i muted the 3rd IR in the IR block...CPU got much lower but crackles started, when i unmuted CPU got higher crackles stopped.

I understand that i am pushing things to their limit and it's such a complex situation and hard to tell what combinations(modifier type/count, fx block type, CPU usage) cause this.

Last edited:
It's not unrelated, i am still using modifiers also. Expression pedals need to be assigned as modifiers to parameters. And once you exceed certain number of modifiers there are issues.

I know it can be confusing. I use sysex in conjunction with modifiers/external controllers.

Go in the pitch block/arpeggiator, and try to choose/change the scale/mode from Dorian to Phrygian with your midi controller or fc6/12....you can not cause those are not modifier assignable. With sysex and GT16 it's possible...i can choose any scale i want regardless of whats saved in the block.

2) Also i still control some modifier attachable parameters via sysex...this gives me way more than 32 modifiers. But also not as much as expected.

Like you would need to assign a modifier to boost, cut etc in amp block. With the GT and sysex, i don't need to. This makes also preset building easier, since i don't need to worry about bunch of parameters and modifiers when i build a new preset...sysex works across the board for all presets.
Sounds great. Being able to enable/disable boost or change delay time or select delay hold/stack without burning a modifier or block channel would be really useful. Effect parameter modification doesn't appear to be documented in the wiki -- channel selection, scene selection, block on/off, tuner, looper, tempo are part of the documented ax3 midi spec but effect parameters aren't.

Sounds great. Being able to enable/disable boost or change delay time or select delay hold/stack without burning a modifier or block channel would be really useful. Effect parameter modification doesn't appear to be documented in the wiki -- channel selection, scene selection, block on/off, tuner, looper, tempo are part of the documented ax3 midi spec but effect parameters aren't.
if its gonna help you to figure out some other parameter’s sysex messages, i can share with you all the sysex messages i have.

I need some help also to calculate couple more.

yes, if you understand how to do that if the sysex messages i have (already a bunch)
i can share them with you.

do you own also RJM GT series or smth similar?
Following with interest as I've done some Axfx related custom midi via Bome Midi Translator Pro software. Wondering where you were able to find info on the additional sysex capabilities not covered in the 3rd Party Midi Guide?

Edit: Same comment as below (I think) - if it's not legit info and meant to be shared, don't bother as I'm only interest in what's supported.

Last edited:
Following with interest as I've done some Axfx related custom midi via Bome Midi Translator Pro software. Wondering where you were able to find info on the additional sysex capabilities not covered in the 3rd Party Midi Guide?

Edit: Same comment as below (I think) - if it's not legit info and meant to be shared, don't bother as I'm only interest in what's supported.

Yes, something similar -- an open source midi controller (https://github.com/sean-e/mTroll), so don't share anything with me that needs to remain private.

Guys these are not private stuff…companies, people building midi controllers, apps for fractal products…pro or amateur, they all have this. You guys sound like the coding of fractal is cracked and i am offering it 🤣

Guys these are not private stuff…companies, people building midi controllers, apps…pro or amateur, they all have this. You guys sound like the coding of fractal is cracked and i am offering it 🤣
how would I know? - was just asking, and have noticed that a lot of what you mention is not in the 3rd pty guide - so not much of a leap to think maybe it is not officially supported - but if it is, where does one find that info?

how would I know? - was just asking, and have noticed that a lot of what you mention is not in the 3rd pty guide - so not much of a leap to think maybe it is not officially supported - but if it is, where does one find that info?
years ago i was asking help on this on the forum, and a user who builds a custom product (won’t mention it, i dont want all of a sudden many to bug him with this) offered help and send me 15-20 or so sysex messages that i asked for.

years ago i was asking help on this on the forum, and a user who builds a custom product (won’t mention it, i dont want all of a sudden many to bug him with this) offered help and send me 15-20 or so sysex messages that i asked for.
got it - thanks

Guys these are not private stuff…companies, people building midi controllers, apps for fractal products…pro or amateur, they all have this. You guys sound like the coding of fractal is cracked and i am offering it 🤣

No, I have no problem using unsupported messages -- I just don't want to post something that someone else might get into trouble for spreading (for example, if RJM has some private Axe API doc). No problem if someone sniffed Axe-Edit MIDI traffic and figured it out...

Back
Top Bottom