2290 delay/CPU issue/Bug

unFILTERed

Power User
i have a preset CPU hovering around %75.

with GT16 i programmed some buttons as sysex messages to change the delay time lets say, from 1/4 to 1/4triplets or to external pedal. (its crazy what you can do with sysex messages and controllers like RJM gt series, but whole another topic)

when i do this even though the cpu usage is at reasonable levels as mentioned above i suddenly get crackles. deleting some blocks and getting the CPU below %70 fixes this. if i do the same with other type of delays it’s all fine.

so i think there is either a bug or 2290 is maybe not reporting the CPU usage correct.

Any ideas? if it will help i can upload the preset later when i am at the studio.

note, i use 30 of available 32 modifiers in this preset. i remember using all modifiers in Axe fx 2 was leading to some unexpected behavior (some memory issues if my memory serves me right) which Cliff confirmed …maybe its related to this?

by the way my axe has the latest beta fw installed.

Last edited:
Sorry, don’t know anything about this issue. But I’m real interested to know how you programmed sysex messages from the RJM ? How do you know the formats etc ?

you might be pushing the 2nd cpu (which is not reported in the cpu status) with 30 modifiers used. Are you also using 2 amp blocks?
yes, 2 amp blocks. if this is the case i think its something fractal should pay some attention to. people feeling safe with CPU usage might end up having issues on stage. which is not good…at the studio, was not a big deal for me. still will force me to modify all my live presets.

yes, 2 amp blocks. if this is the case i think its something fractal should pay some attention to. people feeling safe with CPU usage might end up having issues on stage. which is not good…at the studio, was not a big deal for me. still will force me to modify all my live presets.
Seems likely that's what could be happening, but worth reporting to Fractal as "possible bug" to see what they think. I recall a couple of scenarios where some amp1/amp2 block setting combinations were causing cpu crackles and Fractal fixed those quickly.

Sorry, don’t know anything about this issue. But I’m real interested to know how you programmed sysex messages from the RJM ? How do you know the formats etc ?
its been a long while, a user here helped me with the sysex messages i asked for.

But if i remember it right, i shared those long while ago with @yek and i think he was planning to put them on wiki….maybe he did.

I think there is some info on wiki explaining how to find out/calculate midi sysex messages….though it was too complex for me to follow.

I still need some more commands actualy. So if you can figure it out, let me know.

the ones i have i can share if you want if they are not on wiki or on the forum.

I wish @FractalAudio shared an official pdf file with all of those. those open up a whole another level of control: for example in the pitch block with the arpeggiator, i can choose any scale i want with gt16 buttons, or change delay time or choose to attach an external controller via a button on gt16. Or i can get delay block in hold mode without attaching and loosing 1 modifier out of available 32…

Last edited:
You need to reduce CPU usage or reduce the number of modifiers.
i have been experimenting with deleting modifiers, deleting blocks etc....this happens even when the CPU level is around %65-70 and seems like mostly linked to modifier count. similar issues i had with axe fx 2 also. so maybe the number of available modifiers should not be 32 and be the actual limit what the unit can handle. i am using 30, not even all and i realize now its not only the crackles with 2290 delay, there are other problems occurring also....basically we don't have 32 modifiers. not even 30, and whats the limit, how many can i use, and trust all is gonna work as intended?

add on: 26 modifiers, CPU at %65 still happening.

Last edited:
its not only the crackles, also some modifiers stop just working, like phase mix parameter is attached to external 3, works but the chorus mix attached to external 3 does not work. external 2 works on both blocks still. if i delete the chorus block and reprogram the modifiers it starts working again. but if i recall the chorus block from saved library (saved with modifiers) it does not work.

IMHO this makes the unit extremely unreliable once you hit an "unknown" modifier count. Even with 26 i end up having problems. and supposedly we should be able to use 32....plz don't get me wrong, i am not frustrated or anything. just trying to find the limit where i can use the unit without unpredictable issues, its just about that.

SysEx messages for the AxeFx III are documented in this guide, published by Fractal Audio.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/Axe-Fx III MIDI for 3rd Party Devices.pdf
just checked this again, this is pretty limited. the sysex messages which i got from another user, to control expernal controllers, delay times etc...i dont think you can find them using this document. at least i can not.

just an example: what would be the sysex message to change phaser 1 tempo to 1/4, to 1/4t, to 1/4 dotted and to none(so it can be controlled with the expression pedal). can these messages be calculated with the info on this PDF. I don't understand these stuff much, but i feel like it can't be. some more information is needed probably.

Last edited:
No hard-and-fast rules. Some modifiers use more CPU than others. Depends what they're controlling. Reduce the Update Rate to save CPU.
instead of using pre programmed modifiers to parameters, if i figure out and use sysex messages, would this solve my dilemma?

so lets say 3 external contollers and 3 phaser parameters. those would be only linked as modifiers only when i turn the block on and the button on my GT16 would also send 3 sysex messages so those modifiers are only attached when the block is active, and detached again when the block is off. this way there will modifers only when blocks are active.

Changing the Tempo parameter with an expression pedal is not supported natively.
Sending Sysex with an expression pedal is not something we have any experience with, so I can't even say what's expected.

What's your ultimate goal? Maybe there's a better way.

Changing the Tempo parameter with an expression pedal is not supported natively.
Sending Sysex with an expression pedal is not something we have any experience with, so I can't even say what's expected.

What's your ultimate goal? Maybe there's a better way.
There is a misunderstanding I think, I am not sending sysex with expression pedal. I am sending sysex messages via GT16 buttons to change the delay tempo, hold states etc. And i use the expression pedal for time not tempo.

My ultimate goal is to use both Axe FX and GT16 to their full extend. Literally to the limit...And the more sysex messages i can use, more i get away from the modifier limit.

Already even with the unexpected limitations i ran into, my GT16 is almost my Axe Edit now, which lets me control almost any parameter i want. In the same preset, on the fly with the foot instead of mouse, eyes and hands.

Here are some examples, stuff i already programmed and can do... so you get an idea what i am already doing, and where i am trying to get.

For example with the Arpeggiator in Pitch block. I am not restricted to 1 saved scale, I have a page on the GT16 for different scales and i can choose them via sysex messages....works great.

Or I have 4 different delays in each channel of Delay 1 block. Since i can change the tempo in Delay block with my GT16 to note values I want. I don't need the same delay type on a different channel with a different note value. Or don't need to tap dance to get triplets, dotted notes etc...i only tap the 1/4 notes...rest i choose via sysex.

And if i want to go crazy with tape delay, delay time....with expression pedal. I click a button on gt16 and it releases the delay tempo to "none" via sysex and i can now freak out with the expression pedal/delay time for those classic oscillating delays. All works great, beside the cracks etc i ran into if i don't keep the modifier count and CPU way below the regular limits.

I have a dedicated page for also amp parameters like eq on/off, bright switch, cut, boost, fat etc...since i control these all via sysex, i save at least 10 modifiers which i can use for other stuff.

Last example with phaser block (or any block). I have 4 expression pedals but with the GT i can on the fly assign them to different external controller numbers and those 4 can be 8-12-16 pedals. And i can control bunch of parameters with almost each parameter having its own expression pedal, so when i move one it does not effect other FX block, parameters.

This gives me the freedom in the studio (i daily record, produce for a living) to adjust FX on the fly and i am not restricted to saved states. And also the freedom to manipulate all with the foot and keep playing...leads to new/authentic sounds. Its much much better than using the looper block and mouse and eyes...with playing simultaneously and being able to change so many parameters, its a much more dynamic process.

Does this make sense, if i get a chance i am planning to make a video how i use the GT16 and Axe FX. I think the limit is way over many can imagine...the sky:)

I guess for now i have to delete some blocks which is not a big deal, some what i can not use the Axe FX and GT16, both to their full extend but I know I am pushing the limits....thats what i do, almost with all my gear in my studio, on stage.

Thanks for the message and i really appreciate both your and Cliff's efforts to help. If you have suggestions/questions i would be very happy to hear them.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are bypassing modifiers altogether to edit patch parameters via sysex and the question of modifier CPU usage is unrelated?
Or are you actually using modifiers and changing patch parameters via CC rather than via sysex?

Back
Top Bottom