2 guitars 1 axe-fx with fx-loop and DI problem

wizardy

Could you please help me solve this
I'm trying to set my patch for a 2 guitars 1 axe-fx with fx-loop out to poweramp and DI with impulse
I can get the fx-loop stereo out easily and only input LEFT is working with cab impusle
Input Right 1 doesn't seem to work properly
can you please help me solve this
thanks
View attachment 2 guit with loop.syx

The row 1 compressor would mute the signal when engaged but I don't think that's the problem you're encountering now. It sounds like Out 1 mode is set to copy L to R, should be stereo instead.

For the compressors to work normally set sidechain select to "Block L+R". Setting it to another row will result in no compression. The compressor in row 3 also needs this adjusted, sidechain is Row 2 now.

The row 1 compressor would mute the signal when engaged but I don't think that's the problem you're encountering now. It sounds like Out 1 mode is set to copy L to R, should be stereo instead.

For the compressors to work normally set sidechain select to "Block L+R". Setting it to another row will result in no compression. The compressor in row 3 also needs this adjusted, sidechain is Row 2 now.
I agree he should check his that his I/O is set up for the outs, but one side was definitely out. I was testing the patch with a GR-55 with one side my normal guitar and the other a completely different modeled type, so I could hear the difference. I traced the problem back to row one. Then, I broke that down to just the amp and cab and got that side's guitar back. Adding back in every block except the compressor didn't kill the signal. When I added the compressor back in, it was gone. That means the compressor is one of the problems. For some reason, muting the compressor did not bring the signal back as I would have expected. Setting the side chain back to anything but "row 1" brought that side back to life. You were definitely right that that kills the compressor effect, but I was trying to figure out why one side was out.

After researching sidechains, is "block L+R" the right setting for the side chains in this case? From what I understand, that's going to make the compression effect dependent on L+R inputs. That could do weird things. Shouldn't it be "block L" on the left side and "block R" on the right side to keep the guitars completely isolated from one another?

Also, I found the out 2 was working fine irregardless and giving a signal as expected without the cabs with the out 2 I/O set to "echo out 1" as the setting to out 2 is superseded by the placement of the FXL block.

Last edited:
Block L+R uses the L & R channels at the comp block input, which is fine due to the initial volume blocks. Block L or Block R would work the same if you lowered the threshold by 6 dB. (I don't think he's using these comps yet--ratio needs to be increased from 1 for them to compress.)

Back
Top Bottom