2 Guitar Options: NGD!

First of all, I would never buy a guitar based on whether or not it's a good investment. I will only buy it if I'm going to enjoy playing it.
I totally dig your issue. I am 100% a humbucker guy though I love the sound of single coils and wish I would enjoy playing them more.
So I say, go for the D'Angelico and enjoy something a little different.

Jazzmasters are strat sized give or take (I’ve had 4). Body shape is a little different but they fit the body similarly. No ones gonna think you look silly ;) no point writing off a guitar based off imaginary opinions imo.

All that said, hopefully your new guitar rocks your world :)
Perhaps the confusion is between the Jazzmaster and a Jazz Bass. IIRC, one was designed to emulate the other and provide a halfway between standard electric and bass guitars, an option for a baritone, perhaps? Leo likely discovered that the Jazzmaster had its own benefits and quirks and kept it in production for that reason. Although I don't know the real history of Jazzmasters, can safely say that the Jazz Bass design was quite similar.

First of all, I would never buy a guitar based on whether or not it's a good investment. I will only buy it if I'm going to enjoy playing it.
I totally dig your issue. I am 100% a humbucker guy though I love the sound of single coils and wish I would enjoy playing them more.
So I say, go for the D'Angelico and enjoy something a little different.
I think that's why it felt OK to step away from PRS this time. The Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups are worth the price of admission on this guitar. The flashy tuners and truss rod cover lends to its metropolitan vibe, but that was not the reason for my purchase. Very few ES-339s elsewhere display a slim-taper 60's C neck. Both my previously-owned Gibson and Epiphone ES-339s all had the chunky 50's neck. The neck profiles prevented me from bonding with the previous two guitars. Now, the D'Angelico soon to arrive early next week.

I think that's why it felt OK to step away from PRS this time. The Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups are worth the price of admission on this guitar. The flashy tuners and truss rod cover lends to its metropolitan vibe, but that was not the reason for my purchase. Very few ES-339s elsewhere display a slim-taper 60's C neck. Both my previously-owned Gibson and Epiphone ES-339s all had the chunky 50's neck. The neck profiles prevented me from bonding with the previous two guitars. Now, the D'Angelico soon to arrive early next week.
Fabulous. Please do update us when it arrives. I’m very curious about these guitars.

In terms of something a little different, but still in your PRS range, I have seen and heard great things about the SE Swamp Ash Special - it's kind of somewhere in that tonal range that I think you are looking for, but without the angst of those noisy, piercing single coil nasties...... (I play a Strat mainly, so I'm being pretty tongue in cheek there :D......)

In terms of something a little different, but still in your PRS range, I have seen and heard great things about the SE Swamp Ash Special - it's kind of somewhere in that tonal range that I think you are looking for, but without the angst of those noisy, piercing single coil nasties...... (I play a Strat mainly, so I'm being pretty tongue in cheek there :D......)
Thx, Dave,
I've heard about these regards core models, but not the SE line. For some reason, I've also shied away from anything remotely single-coil until a few years ago with a SS core model. Still couldn't bond, likely because the pickups were too nasally. Yeah. Maybe that's it. Maybe I'm not a fan of the Strat quack many prefer...

I’m not a huge fan of the Strat thing (I like the neck and the neck/middle position, but I never use the bridge). If you want to stick with PRS, but you’re looking for than single coil bite, you could try the NF 53. Or there’s always the Special: basically their take on an SSH.

Obviously not the binary suggestion you were hoping for, but just throwing out more ideas.

Brief overview. Will document with Pixelmator once I've spent adequate time with the guitar for tone, fit and form.

RqRHRbs.jpg

vI9sCGG.jpg

bqMarCt.jpg

uCa336l.jpg

QXT1vco.jpg

I’m not a huge fan of the Strat thing (I like the neck and the neck/middle position, but I never use the bridge). If you want to stick with PRS, but you’re looking for than single coil bite, you could try the NF 53. Or there’s always the Special: basically their take on an SSH.

Obviously not the binary suggestion you were hoping for, but just throwing out more ideas.
IMO you need a HB in the bridge position (so HSS or what some call a Super-Strat).

Last edited:
Have you considered a Yamaha Revstar?

Yes, at one time or another I'd considered a RevStar. Trying to remember the name of the artist who has made his RevStar's the focal point of his performances...oh heck, what's his name? The YT'er who prefers the P90 model...jeez, Chris Buck. Chris kind of made the RevStar a desirable piece had he not done so at all...

Last edited:
Brief overview. Will document with Pixelmator once I've spent adequate time with the guitar for tone, fit and form.

This has been nagging at me, though right now is not a good time (may have to get a new short block for the MINI):
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...-limited-edition-electric-guitar-with-tremolo
L83760000005000-00-1000x1000.jpg
L83760000005000-02-1000x1000.jpg

I'd likely get the pickguard copied in yellow and get #4, Blue Angels, and U.S. NAVY decals to put on it:
851c.jpg

Went by this plane-on-a-stick at least once or twice a day for the first 18 years of my life. Lately they have an F18 there now, same markings....

This has been nagging at me, though right now is not a good time (may have to get a new short block for the MINI):
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...-limited-edition-electric-guitar-with-tremolo
L83760000005000-00-1000x1000.jpg
L83760000005000-02-1000x1000.jpg

I'd likely get the pickguard copied in yellow and get #4, Blue Angels, and U.S. NAVY decals to put on it:
851c.jpg

Went by this plane-on-a-stick at least once or twice a day for the first 18 years of my life. Lately they have an F18 there now, same markings....
I get it, the Jagmaster vibe. I like the single-coil/mini-humbucker config, though I'd be pretty sure to swap it out for a H/H somewhere...as the old guys down at the box office might say..."It's got moxie..."

D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC ES-339 Review:

OK. Bear with me, here. I spent about an 1:15 with the guitar this afternoon and my FM9/QSC CP8 FRFRs. Tried most all of my user presets and have concluded: The Premier Mini is decently-built guitar with slim to nil visible or overt faults. One YT review stated they weren't fond of the the thin bridge posts. No complaints here. No fret tang.

The only noted issue is that the fretboard is a 14" radius, and feels somewhat "stiff," if that can be considered a measurable quality. The 10 gauge strings don't allow much in the way for bending strings, but that might be expected for a "jazz" designed guitar.

The tone is well-balanced, but can get a bit woofy with high gain neck settings. This can be dialed out with the two tone knobs which provide more distinct and clear tone.

The locking tuners were almost spot on right out of the box. Tuned a tad high, they settled in quickly and without jumping around on the FM9 tuner screen.

I decided to keep this one in the fold and build several presets tailored specifically for the Premier Mini. There is a lot of potential with this guitar, but my feeling is that the guitar will be selectively used for quieter jazz gigs, with just a touch of EOB that will help the guitar's performance.
I've got a ways to go weeding out unnecessary or outdated user presets that were once useful, but now are useless as teats on a boar hog.

My feeling is that if I can add 2 additional presets to exclusively be used with the Premier Mini, this might be a springboard impetus
for organizing my entire user preset catalog, per individual guitar. Might be a large project, but at least this will help me keep tabs on my guitars in rotation, and encourage their use, rather than let them languish on hangers.

D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC ES-339 Review:

OK. Bear with me, here. I spent about an 1:15 with the guitar this afternoon and my FM9/QSC CP8 FRFRs. Tried most all of my user presets and have concluded: The Premier Mini is decently-built guitar with slim to nil visible or overt faults. One YT review stated they weren't fond of the the thin bridge posts. No complaints here. No fret tang.

The only noted issue is that the fretboard is a 14" radius, and feels somewhat "stiff," if that can be considered a measurable quality. The 10 gauge strings don't allow much in the way for bending strings, but that might be expected for a "jazz" designed guitar.

The tone is well-balanced, but can get a bit woofy with high gain neck settings. This can be dialed out with the two tone knobs which provide more distinct and clear tone.

The locking tuners were almost spot on right out of the box. Tuned a tad high, they settled in quickly and without jumping around on the FM9 tuner screen.

I decided to keep this one in the fold and build several presets tailored specifically for the Premier Mini. There is a lot of potential with this guitar, but my feeling is that the guitar will be selectively used for quieter jazz gigs, with just a touch of EOB that will help the guitar's performance.

Nice! Happy NGTNGSB (New Guitar That's Not Getting Sent Back) day!

useless as teats on a boar hog.

You sound like my dad. :D

My feeling is that if I can add 2 additional presets to exclusively be used with the Premier Mini, this might be a springboard impetus
for organizing my entire user preset catalog, per individual guitar. Might be a large project, but at least this will help me keep tabs on my guitars in rotation, and encourage their use, rather than let them languish on hangers.

Been doing more or less the same thing with trying to organize my "amp collection" and "templates" presets, and get them to be less snowflake-y and more uniform, while also having a few major updates roll through due in firmware and in discovering new/better ways of setting things up. :)

useless as teats on a boar hog.

You sound like my dad. :D
Yup. A popular Dadism spoken in futility when a realization is reached that a desired effect won't happen. Dad was not known for profanity, but might let loose with a quiet "you dirty bird" if he might drop something unexpectantly.
Been doing more or less the same thing with trying to organize my "amp collection" and "templates" presets, and get them to be less snowflake-y and more uniform, while also having a few major updates roll through due in firmware and in discovering new/better ways of setting things up. :)
Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? You've got a toolbox that contains all sort of tools, and compartments for thus and such, all stashed away so you can hopefully find things more easily the next time.

Why not organize your user presets according to what guitar works best with each preset, then build extra presets for each guitar for whatever effect you're striving for? Seems like that's a good goal.

I've got a couple free days in the coming weeks that will be likely be relegated to garden tilling and prep. On the day's I'd normally be working, I'll be sure to set aside some time for organizing my user presets into guitar categories. The solid bodies will likely take precedence, followed by the acoustic and semi/hollowbody guitars. That way, it'll be possible to organize my presets into rock, blues, acoustic folk, and jazz, so navigating my presets will be easier to recall and manage.

Back
Top Bottom