1st time live with FM3 this past Sunday...

Nimbas

Inspired
Man I just have to say...playing live with the FM3 was an absolute treat.

My tone, feel, and everything in between was beyond my wildest expectations. I was especially surprised when I kicked things up a notch with overdrives and such (with prior modelers my tone would often get thin, but not here).

The size of the unit, the lights that are gentle and easy to see - and the feel of the foot switches under my feet were fantastic. Fractal did so well with this - thanks guys.

3 switches worked fine - but it might be nice to add the FC6 at some point. Still though, I loved the hold features to switch around to different modes.

My rhythm Guitarist plays his FM3 through a qsc k.2 10" and direct to Pa, and I play through a Bogner Helios 100 with a mic'd cab and my sound is so much better sounding for the set but that's a really good sounding amp going through a 2x12 V 30 Recto cab, and since I now have the Live Gold pack that sounds killer at home, I think I will try it at practice then Live too, should be great and lighter lol

I use the OMG3 with a two button switch..... one toggles my two main presets and hold activates an acoustic patch, the other is my tap tempo and my hold function toggles two different blocks of Plexdelay for some added space if I need it. I may go to the OMG9 as well just to simplify the tap dance getting to my extra effects.

What is this 'playing live' of which you speak?

JK! Building a live rig for mine now. Did you go direct, into FRFR or what?
Great question - I should have specified.

Direct to the board - and I got my feed via in ear monitors that came through a personal mixer at the location I was standing. This is a setup I am very familiar with - and have played multiple units through including Kemper, Helix, Boss GT-1000 etc. If you do something like this my advice would be to drive the mixer hard - I maxed out my bubble main volume so I could eliminate that volume and just use the knob for main only. I had the volume pretty hot about 3 o'clock. I have found very consistently that things work better when you drive the volume hot on the main and turn the channel volumes way down and bring them up to taste rather than doing the opposite.

To create my patches - I didn't use any existing presets. I've never found that presets are something that can translate from player to player - just in my humble opinion - for ANY modeling unit. I think to get the most out of a unit you have to create your own to truly connect with it.

What I did was I already had a pretty great amp and cab patch setup with a simple reverb that honestly I could play the rest of my life and be happy. I found that using other people's effect blocks only though worked great - so I started with my own amp tone - then added different effects I liked and built something out that would take me the whole way with different patches for different timing, etc.

So, in the end I had like one patch for each song - and if the song had different parts where I needed to go beyond playing dynamics - I used scenes to cut things on and off. I think I had 2 songs with 1 scene and 2 songs with 2 scenes.

Last edited:
My rhythm Guitarist plays his FM3 through a qsc k.2 10" and direct to Pa, and I play through a Bogner Helios 100 with a mic'd cab and my sound is so much better sounding for the set but that's a really good sounding amp going through a 2x12 V 30 Recto cab, and since I now have the Live Gold pack that sounds killer at home, I think I will try it at practice then Live too, should be great and lighter lol
Honestly man as much as I love modelers and have been playing with them as far back as the Korg A2 - I have never found an FRFR solution that sounds good to me.

Studio monitors sound great, and in ear monitors sound great - but as far as FRFR - I've tried everything I could and have never connected with it. I'd rather just disable the cab modeling and run through the effects return of an amp I think - or use a power amp and cab type setup.

Maybe one day and FRFR will come out I like.

So yeah, I'd stick with your setup in a heartbeat rather than play through a QSC.

Back
Top Bottom