16.05 Test

If Cliff intends to jump down the studio gear rabbit hole, I can suddenly see the need for an AxeFx III. Throw a couple more Sharc processors in the box and put the FAS spin on what UAD has been doing with its emulations.

Funny I was just thinking the same...what with stereo UR cabs; new/improved reverb algorithms (and who knows what other forthcoming effect upgrades); and now this. CPU looking like an increasingly scarce resource.

What preamps/channel strips did VH use in the studio?

Either way, the thought of a Neve or SSL strip written by Cliff gives me goosebumps :mrgreen

The solo sound really did it for me. Don't get me wrong the over all sound is great but the solo just has that sound IMO.

Awesomeness!

What preamps/channel strips did VH use in the studio?

Either way, the thought of a Neve or SSL strip written by Cliff gives me goosebumps :mrgreen

V.H. recorded at least their first two ( and maybe 3rd & 4th ) albums at Sunset Sound - Studio 1 ....

I found an article from soundonsound from 2013 that said that studio had custom built API/DeMedio consoles that featured 990 op-amp based preamps and API 550a EQ modules in each input channel .... The outboard equipment included classics such as Urei 1176LN & Teletronix LA2A compressors, as well as Pultec equalizers ....

Pretty much "state of the art" for that time !

BTW ( Cliff ) ..., is there any chance that one of the new "Studio" reverbs ( A or B ) would be a recreation of the live chamber from Sunset Sound ... ?

"So I coded a quick mic preamp simulator/strip EQ.."

Besides Cliff who DOES that ?

BTW - I have lotsa UAD stuff and if this is the direction FAS is thinking of going I'm completely onboard if that means Axe FX III to handle the CPU requirements. Universal Audio has really screwed the pooch in a lot of regards involving price points and customer service.

Isn't one of them called "sunset" already? ;)

There's one called "Sun Plate" ... ? But the reverb from Sunset Sound wasn't a plate ....

That reverb was actually a live room on the 2nd floor of the building that they pumped a feed of whatever they wanted reverberated into. They used some Altec/Lansing "Voice of the Theater" PA Speakers and the room was mic'ed w/ stereo RCA BX44 mics ....

Last edited:
That sounds incredible. FW16.05 might actually convince me to get a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge :) All of my guitars are single-coils... Strats, Teles, and even my Les Pauls have P90s. But this... could bring me across the tracks to humbuckerville.

Back
Top Bottom