Not a Bug “Gapless Switching” not gapless?

Fidgit85

Help appreciated.
I have an Axe-FX III.
Running 23.04 w/newest editor.
I thought the new gapless switching between channels, scenes, and presets were suppose to be… well… GAPLESS.  

I set up a simple preset and copied the amp channel to all amp channels… When clicking through each amp channel, which again is set up EXACTLY the same, there is still a slight gap during the change. Same thing happens if I change scenes. Same thing also happens if I copy the exact same preset next to one another and switch between the presets while letting a cord ring out… Slight gap.

Before you ask, YES, “Gapless” in the global settings is turned “On,” and “Spillover” is turned to “All.” 

The weirdest thing is, if I turn the “Gapless” setting to “Off,” it sounds EXACTLY the same between switching any of the previous mentioned. The slight gap does not increase or decrease at all. Can anyone replicate this? Am I doing something wrong? 

Help appreciated.
I have an Axe-FX III.
Running 23.04 w/newest editor.
I thought the new gapless switching between channels, scenes, and presets were suppose to be… well… GAPLESS.  

I set up a simple preset and copied the amp channel to all amp channels… When clicking through each amp channel, which again is set up EXACTLY the same, there is still a slight gap during the change. Same thing happens if I change scenes. Same thing also happens if I copy the exact same preset next to one another and switch between the presets while letting a cord ring out… Slight gap.

Before you ask, YES, “Gapless” in the global settings is turned “On,” and “Spillover” is turned to “All.” 

The weirdest thing is, if I turn the “Gapless” setting to “Off,” it sounds EXACTLY the same between switching any of the previous mentioned. The slight gap does not increase or decrease at all. Can anyone replicate this? Am I doing something wrong? 
Export and share the preset and your system settings. Without that we're left using our imaginations to figure it out.

The Spillover settings have nothing to do with this as you're not changing presets and Spillover is only related to preset changes.

Export and share the preset and your system settings. Without that we're left using our imaginations to figure it out.
I am at work at the moment… And of course I’m happy to do that soon as I can but I literally don’t know how much more simple it can get! One amp block, one cab block with only one IR active, and a simple Reverb block… spillover to All, gapless to on, and pretty much all other settings at default.
With the cab block copied to all channels (post adjustment, so they are all identical), there is still a gap when I switch channels on the amp.

Am I correct in assuming that, in theory, if I am switching channels on the amp block to another channel with identical settings, while sustaining a chord , there should be NO GAP at all, correct? Like, my ear should hear NOTHING change… Only see the letter on the amp change from one to the other??

Am I correct in assuming that, in theory, if I am switching channels on the amp block to another channel with identical settings, while sustaining a chord , there should be NO GAP at all, correct? Like, my ear should hear NOTHING change… Only see the letter on the amp change from one to the other??
No, you're wrong. When you switch channel all is discharged, reloaded and run again. Even if all the parameters are the same.

Try waiting like 5 seconds between changes. Nobody would be switching back and forth rapidly in a musical setting. This setting is to help us make music and it very useful and greatly appreciated when used as intended. If you’re testing it by rapidly flicking back and forth… well, to quote the man: “Don’t do that.”

Try waiting like 5 seconds between changes. Nobody would be switching back and forth rapidly in a musical setting. This setting is to help us make music and it very useful and greatly appreciated when used as intended. If you’re testing it by rapidly flicking back and forth… well, to quote the man: “Don’t do that.”
Yes indeed, I have waited… but also, as stated above, this should only apply to preset changes, NOT channels…

Yes indeed, I have waited… but also, as stated above, this should only apply to preset changes, NOT channels…
I’m not sure about that… so you’re getting a gap switching between channels with identical amps? We need to wait for a preset to check it out, otherwise we’re just eating soup with chopsticks in the dark.

I played with it last week and it is indeed gapless when I changed the channels. I used to hear a pop or a loud unwanted noise prior to that.

If you're using the same amp block and just changing settings this method is truly seamless. I reworked my presets on my FM9 using this method and love it.

It's gapless but it's not "seamless". There is a crossfade and your brain will interpret that as a change in tone due to the change in phase.

There's no point in two identical channels anyways.
No doubt. I get that identical channels is pointless… I did it as a test.
So, for my understanding, are you saying:
1.) If I strum a chord and let it ring.
2.) Change from 1 IDENTICAL channel to another while the note rings out…
3.) I’m STILL going to hear a “bump” in the audio??

No doubt. I get that identical channels is pointless… I did it as a test.
So, for my understanding, are you saying:
1.) If I strum a chord and let it ring.
2.) Change from 1 IDENTICAL channel to another while the note rings out…
3.) I’m STILL going to hear a “bump” in the audio??
The problem is that the hardware has no way to know if channel A is exactly equivalent to channel B. Doing so would require a deep equality check across every single amp parameter (which could be error prone for future changes) and would require dynamic channel loading (if channel A = channel B, then really don’t do a channel switch and keep channel A loaded). This is a major issue, as now say you change a parameter on channel B. If the channel A is really still loaded in memory, then you’re executing the change to channel A and not channel B. So the only safe way to handle this is always deload the old channel and load the new channel, regardless of channel settings/equality.

Back
Top Bottom