“Biscuits and sausage gravy” or “shit on a shingle”?

Biscuits with sausage gravy, of course.

Years ago, Jeff Smith AKA "The Frugal Gourmet" had a series of cookbooks, and I had several of them. He had an absolute killer recipe for biscuits and sausage gravy that we'd make at least once a month. We'd make it for big family brunches and it was always a hit.

Here's his recipe: http://love2cooksweets.blogspot.com/2015/02/biscuits-and-gravy.html

He had a bunch of other recipes we'd make that were to die for.

Now days we'd make our own sausage, just because we're that way, and it'd only be better.

Best I’ve had was in Auburn, Alabama at a place called The Hound.
Sausage and gravy or "SOS"?

Back when, I rode long distance bicycle tours, like ~1K miles over a week, with an international group of riders, who, after several years of riding together, always looked for each other so we'd be a pack. One year we decided we'd ride and see what restaurant had the best biscuits and sausage gravy over the entire route. And, normally, over a week of eating that meal every morning, we'd have put on some weight, but since we were riding between 80-100 miles/day, we were burning it off.

We eventually found a couple places that we returned to in subsequent years because they made it SOOooo good, but now after close to 20 years later, those restaurants are long gone. :-/

Now, ask me about Mexican food… :)

Best biscuits 'n' gravy I've had was at a long-closed biker bar my band was playing in about 1994 or so. They were served after closing time out of a slow cooker that was somewhere In The Back. Nothing better after 4 sets of rawk and a few beers!

I also love chipped beef and gravy, but I'd normally choose the sausage. There's an awesome little restaurant not too far from us (near York, PA) called Becky's Kitchen. A couple years ago, I met up with a buddy from grad school (he's also a classical guitarist, and we hadn't seen each other in over 20 years), and we decided to go there because it was reasonably close to him as well. One of the best places I've ever been to. Everything is scratch. They even make their own sausage. And, their prices are still reasonable. Oh man, and the day we met up there was hogmaw day (think haggis). Grandma came late morning to help cook it. Now, I've still never had that...

My wife is awesome with either chipped beef or sausage gravy (her parents are from Arkansas). Chipped beef is kind of a thing out here in PA though.

I didn't expect to see that come up. Yeah, their biscuits and gravy is pretty good.

That said, my Mom's is probably the best I've had, since I grew up with it. Plenty of places running for second place.
One of my kids is in school there. The restaurant in the Auburn Hotel across from campus serves a mean version of it too. Are you from that area?

One of my kids is in school there. The restaurant in the Auburn Hotel across from campus serves a mean version of it too. Are you from that area?

Sort of. I have deep ties there, so it's sort of home away from home. Girlfriend also went there, worked at the university, etc. She's even gotten Aubie to come out to San Diego a couple of times. Part of the house looks like Aubie threw up on it. So, I'm back there fairly often. Crazy how much the place has grown. Keep in mind, I was there when Bo Jackson was playing...so it's changed a lot for me.

A cousin of mine graduated from there in the Bo era. I remember. I actually love it there. If I ever leave Texas that’s where I’m going. Another great spot: Byron’s Smokehouse on Opelika Rd. I’m sure you are familiar. You know, Larry Mitchell lives in Opelika. WDE!

A cousin of mine graduated from there in the Bo era. I remember. I actually love it there. If I ever leave Texas that’s where I’m going. Another great spot: Byron’s Smokehouse on Opelika Rd. I’m sure you are familiar. You know, Larry Mitchell lives in Opelika. WDE!

Byron's is what we have left after BBQ House closed after a billion years. There is a really solid breakfast crowd that used to meet at BBQ House every morning. Killer food, grits, pancakes, coffee, etc. I'd even run into some of my old Auburn High School teachers there. Now, almost everyone shifted over to Byrons. No pancakes though. WTF.

A lot of my HS classmates have moved back there. Some still have parents there, or did anyway. A lot of people really like life there. I don't think I could full-time it. Just too far away from some things for me. The occasional visit is nice though.

My Dad grew up in college, being part of the ROTC program in the mid-50s. Although I don't know if Dad preferred biscuits and gravy or the traditional SOS, I do know Dad enjoyed a close comparison to chipped beef...they were called Steak'Ums, slices of paper-thin shaved steak you could fry up in less than a minute, salt and peppered, and pop onto buttered toast. Steak'Ums were available until about 1990, after which they faded from grocery shelves. Steak'Ums were a quick home cooked snack or meal for a guy with a busy schedule. Dad was that kind of guy.

Ha! Growing up my school cafeteria would serve their version of chalupas, which was just a scoop of canned, bland refried beans on a usually somewhat stale tostada. We all called it Shit on a Shingle for obvious reasons.

For sausage gravy and biscuits, it’s The Silver Skillet in Atlanta for me. Been around a LONG time and has been filmed in a lotta movies as well as the early beginnings of Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.

For sausage gravy and biscuits, it’s The Silver Skillet in Atlanta for me. Been around a LONG time and has been filmed in a lotta movies as well as the early beginnings of Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.
Just added it to my “gotta go to” list. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom