METALLICA Chooses Fractal Audio Axe-Fx IIs for Silent Antarctica Concert

The no PA setup gives lots of different options vs. a conventional PA.

I wonder if they will have some minimal powered speakers just so the ambient vocals and drums make some sense when you take off the headphones.

The Silent Disco system allows audience members to tap in to different mixes. Depending on which one you choose, the LEDs in your headset change a different color. It's a really cool concept.

As for choice of tones, remember that the tones of a record are crafted around the entire mix. Live tones need to be distinctly playable in the context of the live drum sound, live ambience, etc. You can't just pop a sound off a record and have it work the same.

This same challenge faces those of us without pro recordings behind us. The sound you need at the venue, in the mix, in the ears, will often be quite different from the one you thought was amazing in the rehearsal space or bedroom.

For this reason, we had a very smart experienced engineer with us during the Metallica sessions. He had a broad collection of reference material in the form of pro tools sessions. He knew how to seek and find the tones that would work both in the players in-ears and for FOH.

The Silent Disco system allows audience members to tap in to different mixes. Depending on which one you choose, the LEDs in your headset change a different color. It's a really cool concept.

As for choice of tones, remember that the tones of a record are crafted around the entire mix. Live tones need to be distinctly playable in the context of the live drum sound, live ambience, etc. You can't just pop a sound off a record and have it work the same.

This same challenge faces those of us without pro recordings behind us. The sound you need at the venue, in the mix, in the ears, will often be quite different from the one you thought was amazing in the rehearsal space or bedroom.

For this reason, we had a very smart experienced engineer with us during the Metallica sessions. He had a broad collection of reference material in the form of pro tools sessions. He knew how to seek and find the tones that would work both in the players in-ears and for FOH.

Is this why my tone match from albums/backing tracks sound poopy live? :)

yikes, there is a guy on the boards who did way better tone matches than those guys ...take a look at there earlier ones and they were using the TM block with a cab ....nasty
aren't half of metallica deaf these days anyhow? ;)

here is the guy
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/72656-ver-11b-tallica-tone-matches.html
these blow away the SU ones

I think the Silent Underground clips caught the ear of the band/band's entourage. But this time, I think Matt himself helped in tonematching/toneshaping plus the benefit of knowledgeable engineers of the band.

yikes, there is a guy on the boards who did way better tone matches than those guys ...take a look at there earlier ones and they were using the TM block with a cab ....nasty
aren't half of metallica deaf these days anyhow? ;)

here is the guy
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/72656-ver-11b-tallica-tone-matches.html
these blow away the SU ones

Thanks man :encouragement: :D lol

The older ones that had 2 amps blended used cabs for the sake of avoiding phase cancelation when running 2 amps simultaneously into a TM block.
The ones earlier than that were because I had only had the AXE for about 2 weeks and was a NoOb :D

Also, Congrats Fractal Guys!!
Love em or hate em, Metallica sporting the brand is certainly not going to HURT sales in anyway :D :D

Glad you guys are also finally allowed to talk about it \m/\m/

Last edited:
Thanks man :encouragement: :D lol

The older ones that had 2 amps blended used cabs for the sake of avoiding phase cancelation when running 2 amps simultaneously into a TM block.
The ones earlier than that were because I had only had the AXE for about 2 weeks and was a NoOb :D

Also, Congrats Fractal Guys!!
Love em or hate em, Metallica sporting the brand is certainly not going to HURT sales in anyway :D :D

Glad you guys are also finally allowed to talk about it \m/\m/

Congrats for catching the band's eye/ear!

Patches must always remain the property of the artists.

So a list will be drawn up if they leak......? ;)

Actually I can understand that. I suppose we're just used to the huge amount of goodwill on this forum that it's easy to take patch sharing for granted.

Congrats on the scoop, by the way! It's a hell of a step.

This is cool, would be even cooler if they shared some presets, then I could compare to my own, as we cover several Metallica songs and I spent hours dialing it in to match live recordings of their tone, and I've been told my live tones are so close, people thought they were seeing a Metallica concert lol...... I guess that's what happens when a band is your main influence all your life.....

Sounds like YOU should be sharing your tones too ;)

I think if you tried to use the AJFA tone at live concert volumes all you would here is "whooomph whooomph whooomph" every time a palm muted low E string is played :).

True but I thought the show was going to be nicely mixed through headphones......

Why?
What is the threat?
As an artist, are you saying I shouldn't share my patches because they're my property?
Come on Het, throw a few up on Axechange!

No he's saying it's your property to make that decision on if it should be shared or not.

No he's saying it's your property to make that decision on if it should be shared or not.

Exactly! Of course there will be a lot of demand for their patches and if they decide to not share them it will be seen as stinginess..... does that reflect on all of the people who do not share patches? Are they all stingy? I think not, so their reasons, just like their patches, should be theirs to disclose should they wish to.

But DAMN I'd love to have my hands on them! :D

Back
Top Bottom