Any gamer's here Xbox One Or PS4?

Just embrace the tech & buy both machines. There are bound to be exclusives on either console that you'll enjoy. Whoever doesn't have an "always on" internet connection in 2013 need to move to a new city or a new job......

Had both a 360 and a PS3. See no reason not to enjoy the benefits of both any less than those of both a Strat and a Les Paul. Different strengths.

Last edited:
My son's PS3 and Xbox 360 work fine. Screw both Sony and Microsoft. And Nintendo, too. Also, screw $60 games. Get back to me when they're all $24.95.

A Microsoft engineer just posted this.
microsoft engineer on xb1 - Pastebin.com

The guy makes some good points, although he's a bit of the sweary kind, BUT much of that hinges on things that are out of MS hands:

- Are the publishers really going to make the games significantly cheaper due to the supposed increase in resale revenue? Also, I'd like to point out in that regard that not everybody sells their used games via Lamestop (people with half a brain tend not to), so although I think that taking money out of Gamestop and putting it into devs is a good thing, I'm not sure how the numbers are going to add up in reality. I might be off with my assumption though.

- Big point: The added TV functionality. That's not going to be sensibly implemented here in Germany for at least a couple years, due to different technologies and licensing models. I imagine it's going to be a similar situation for everywhere outside the lower 48.

- He talks a lot about "cool shit" that's going to come, integration of more technologies "on the horizon", but that's not going to convince anyone but the most hardcore technophile early adopters into buying the thing come launch day. What matters launch day is what's on the plate THEN and in the near foreseeable future, like up to 6 months and reliably announced. Anything beyond that is crystal ball reading. Not that I'm not a technophile who gets all teary-eyed at the prospect of true minority-report like UI that works. Transforming UIs for software like Cubase? leaving the Mouse and Keyboard crutch behind for that? Shut up and take my money. But only IF YOU REALLY HAVE IT, and not vaguely promise it. Granted, that's an unofficial source letting us in to some future developments. But he's right with the first point: MS sucks at telling the story.

My simple idea to mitigate a lot of the DRM clusterfuck: Create a possibility to play singleplayer/local mp content of the disc, if internet is down. That way people with intermittent net outages will be held over, they can't play mp either as long as the net is down. It's just this whole "no net, no play, AT ALL" attitude that rubs people the wrong way.

But he's already hinting at possible changes being made after the E3 beatdown, so hope is on the horizon.

so long
Andreas aka Ace

You're saying that publishers can implement their own DRM, just like they've been able to do for the past thirty years. In the 80s they were using code-wheels, manuals, etc. to make sure players were playing games they purchased.
This is exactly what I'm saying, which is that the differences between the DRM situation on the PS4 and the Xbox One are more shades of grey than night and day, and that the reaction to the restrictions on the Xbox One is over the top, especially when you consider the PC game market.

BTW, read the update to the article you posted. Sony is absolutely not going to prevent you from loaning games or buying/selling used ones. If the publisher wants to, for instance, give an unlock code with new games that enable special DLC, online capabilities, they certainly can, just like they can now. It's a non-issue.
Those updates were there when I posted the article. Where do you get the idea I think the PS4 will have different restrictions than the PS3 does now? Like I said, they explicitly said in the press conference, and then later re-stated it in a press release, that things will stay the same on PS4.

Furthermore, I think I need to re-emphasise that the Xbox One doesn't prevent you from selling used games, nor does it prevent you lending games to a friend (Edit: This is wrong, one-time permanent transfer to a friend, not a loan, my bad). It simply puts additional restrictions on the situation, allowing a game disc to become a cache of the online-store content, which in turn allows you to install once and never use the disc again. This transfers the mark of game ownership from the disc being in your possession, to a flag on your Xbox Live account (just like Steam/Origin do it).

Also, I think Paul Thurrott had a good suggestion, in that rather than have a 24-hour mandatory phone home check, you could simply require the disc to be inserted in the drive if you've been offline for some period of time. This seems like a very sensible solution and Microsoft should implement it before release.

Last edited:
Furthermore, I think I need to re-emphasise that the Xbox One doesn't prevent you from selling used games, nor does it prevent you lending games to a friend.

Actually, yes it does exactly that. There will be no lending of games. It allows a one time permanent transfer to a friend.

And trading in (not selling) used requires them to be traded to an official retailer, which essentially gives them complete control over the flow of used games. You'll never see an xbox one game at a pawn shop. You cannot sell a game to a retailer. This is a very important distinction as games are ONLY used for trade in credit on other games.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2013/06/...-always-on-used-games-will-work-with-xbox-one

Actually, yes it does exactly that. There will be no lending of games. It allows a one time permanent transfer to a friend.
Sorry, I was mistaken, I mis-read the news reports and confused the 30 day friend rule. I thought it was a 30 day lend, not a permanent transfer.

And trading in (not selling) used requires them to be traded to an official retailer, which essentially gives them complete control over the flow of used games. You'll never see an xbox one game at a pawn shop. You cannot sell a game to a retailer. This is a very important distinction as games are ONLY used for trade in credit on other games.
This is why I said 'additional restrictions'. I don't know why many of you keep trying to misconstrue my words; I'm not saying things aren't different, only that it's not the 'end of the known universe' scenario that many people/media organisations are making it out to be.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think MS is going to end up loosening some of these DRM restrictions. They're simply getting too much bad press over this. They've poured billions of dollars into the Xbox brand and they can't afford to have Sony eat their lunch this generation.

I can see the region-locking staying, but the 24-hour phone home going away.

The thing about the used game trading is not just that its restrictive, but its confusing. The one thing you don't want to do is confuse consumers. Uncertainty will kill the public's perception of a product.

Just embrace the tech & buy both machines. There are bound to be exclusives on either console that you'll enjoy. Whoever doesn't have an "always on" internet connection in 2013 need to move to a new city or a new job......

WOW! You sure you don't work for Microshaft?

In the first place, it was INCREDIBLY STUPID of you to tell people to MOVE simply because they don't have internet. And you would be amazed at places that still don't have internet!

Second, you seem completely oblivious to the fact that Microsoft has just about went "anti-consumer" with the tactics they are using.

You can read up on what they are doing but if you are so blind to what they are trying to pull, I feel sorry for you.

But it is stupid to tell someone to move so they can have an internet connection just to hook up a GAME CONSOLE!

It always amazes me what some people will put up with. I will surely not be getting an xbox one with those restrictions and I don't think most will either. If Microsoft was looking to kill off the xbox one right out of the gate then this is surely the way to do it.

My facts are straight, but perhaps my phrasing was at fault. What I was trying to convey (with the 'supposed unequivocal support' bit) was that they are having to re-state their position because the media/public at large can't get their facts straight. Sony said right in the press event that the disc-game model on the PS4 will work the same as the PS3, but many media outlets and the public at large seemed to, at least to me, forget in that moment the fairly serious restrictions publishers have put on console games this generation (on both Xbox 360 and PS3) using unlock codes.

And before anyone says that this is limited to the multi-player portions of games, I've got a growing collection of single player focussed games that have come with these unlock codes that limit increasingly significant portions of the single player experience.

Your facts do not seem straight in the way you posted earlier!

You admitted that SONY did not have anything to do with the media's interpetation of what they said.

If any mis-interpetation was done and any mis-information was reported then that was the media and not Sony saying it this time around. Again, nothing has changed in the way developers of games for years can put in as much DRM as they want with the PS4, but it has been a game changer for the xbox one, in that now it will be on by default.

Last edited:
Ok Kiddies, put away your toys.

We can never have a discussion about X, Y or Z without it turning into a pissing competition.

Everyone should be mindful of their tone and language and how it could be perceived. Stop attacking each other because you don't share the same opinion. We're all Fractalites here, so grow the fuck up and stop being little bitches.

Ok Kiddies, put away your toys.

We can never have a discussion about X, Y or Z without it turning into a pissing competition.

Everyone should be mindful of their tone and language and how it could be perceived. Stop attacking each other because you don't share the same opinion. We're all Fractalites here, so grow the fuck up and stop being little bitches.

Great post calling people little bitches. Maybe YOU should practice what you preach?

Does anybody if it's possible for MS to change the price and restrictions on the Xbox one or is it to late to make changes?
Have they gone into Production yet or does anybody know how this works?
Anybody ever been lucky enough to work for a company that produces mass products to know these type of things? Cliff Chase?

Pre-ordered Xbox One and PS4 :) Microsoft can change their policy anytime because that's.....mmmmm part of their policy. I understand what they ( Microsoft) are trying to do and it could be good for everyone if it's done right.
I'm sure it will change to stay competitive if they have to, you can't listen to one persons view when there's thousands that work for and influence MS.

true. major nelson said in an interview that you can buy and share a game with up to family members(which really don't need to be your family members)and it you don't have to be on the same console.my question will you be able to play Multiplayer this way same game that you shared with that person on different consoles?
Here's the interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo

Well just for anyone that is interested, it seems Amazon did a poll to see who would be buying the PS4 or xbox one....the xbox one was DEMOLISHED in the poll and the poll was taken down....before the time they intended to take it down! 7 days early! Yes, it was THAT BAD!

From the article: The PS4 absolutely demolished the Xbox One, with 38,984 votes for the Sony console and just 2162 votes for the Microsoft rival.

LINK: Amazon takes down Facebook poll after PS4 destroys Xbox One - AfterDawn

Now for those saying it is "no big deal"...it seems you are in the minority...as most people in that poll thought it was a big enough "deal" to make them not want to buy the xbox one.

I do not see the point in taking down the poll....they wanted to know consumers feelings on this and they got it, but everyone should have had the time to post that they originally gave, they should not have not just taken the poll down because one company is getting tromped.

But from the looks of those numbers, it was pretty clear who the winner was.

Anyone buying an xbox one should not complain later on if they find out their kinnect is hacked and spying on them! It is a very real possibility, it happened with video cams hooked up to computers years ago...and that was when the computer and cam were completely powered off! So it is not a far jump to think this cannot happen to kinnect.

But kinnect is only ONE of the problems facing this console, I do not see how even if they wanted to.....(though I doubt Microsoft does)...that Microsoft could change the many things about this console that are ticking off the majority of consumers. But time will tell.

The only way Microsoft will change at this point, is is they are FORCED to change by consumers hitting them where it hurts..in their pocketbooks with low sales figures for the xbox one. But even THEN the kinnect is built into the box, so they would have to design another box and who knows how long a process that would take?

Last edited:
Lots of 3rd hand news and speculation going on in this thread before anyone has even owned one or the other. Ahhh the internet.

This article seems to refute the above Kinnect assumptions.

Xbox One's Kinect Can Turn Off, Microsoft Says, Noting Privacy Worries

Just as with all the rumors and innuendo with the KPA and Axe I imagine when the dust settles there will be many who own one or the other and quite a few who own both depending on their preferences and/or needs. They are just gaming consoles for gosh sakes and not windows into your souls. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom